PDA

View Full Version : my newport trip.

samgann93
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
first off thanks off to all the guys who helped me out. i needed it. lol

i fished the pier a lot and the mac attack was on. small masquito hook and
a split shout with a little bit of mackeral was all you needed.

best part of the trip was fishing the harbor. i fished on one of the public docks for
rays and sharks. i got 2 bat rays both at 25 pounds!!! and i got hooked up on what was
fighting like a ray (i never got to see it). it must of been 40 or 50 pounds it busted me
off. long story short... I WAS PISSED. my buddy caught a small shark only like a
foot and a half.

overall it was a great time. im ready to go catch some batrays any day.

samgann93
07-19-2008, 12:26 PM
oops. i forgot to mention. al the rays and shark were caught on mackeral chunks.

Wingnut
07-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Bummer that the big one snapped off. :mad: Probably a Shark or Ray, but could be something else. ;) You'll get it next time. Thanks for the report. :cool: My turn tomorrow!

CASTAWAY
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
I didn't know there's rays in the harbor....

My turn Saturday....

r!der
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
There's def rays in there. My friend (swivel on here) hooked a huge one from the docks. After a few minutes of peeling line we finally got a glimpse of it, and it was HUGE. Got real close to the docks again after another run, probably saw us 497_screaming_bug_ey standing on the dock and ran again, this time UNDER the dock. Got tangled around one of the posts and snapped the line. :(
Least we got to see it and I know he enjoyed the fight while it lasted.

Btw- He was using a live chovie with a barrel sinker to keep it at the bottom.

Good luck out there!

samgann93
07-24-2008, 01:41 PM
ya there are definetly some huge rays in there.
my buddy caught one that had a 6 foot wingspan.

supasportkid
07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
cool, i love fighting those rays. just hate handling them. thanks for the report

flyngby
07-25-2008, 08:49 PM
There are some of the bigger weight variety in the harbor.

I bring both small and medium setups for the harbor. I fish only 10 lb line on both to maximize the bites but a larger pole with more backbone and line will tent to allow you to get some of them to the photo opportunity!!!!!!!

Steve

samgann93
07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
ya handling them can be kinda hard.

but there a bunch of fun to catch though