PDA

View Full Version : 7/18/08 Friday Catalina Report – aboard the PERSUIT out of 22nd St. Landing

Speed God
07-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Got there at just after 5am and there were 35 people in line. I had reservations but still got red 16. (More than half way up the boat, port side.) After we got on the boat we were at around 40 peeps. Then while sitting there I see 25 more anglers coming down the dock and boarding on with us RIGHT before we were about to leave. I said WTF??? They told me the guy at the landing just announced that the ¾ day boat was chartered and put them on with us. Hummmm….. That’s interesting that these people did not know that or weren’t told that when they made reservations the night before? So we had about 65 people. I figured ok cool, after the morning bite I’ll rotate around and be stern-side for the late afternoon pickup. NEVER HAPPENED! The only real thing about this boat that pissed me off was that the skipper never rotated the whole day! Therefore, the alpha dogs stayed at the back of the boat and caught most the fish the whole day. I discussed this with the deckies and the skipper and they ignored me or brushed me off.

Ok that being said and out of the way, the skipper did do a superb job at trying to put us on the fish. He worked really hard! But, IT IS SLIM PICKINS OUT THERE RIGHT NOW!!!! We had a really hard time getting the fish to come up. It was a soft bite and most fish were small and were returned to the ocean. Never really got a good strong hard bite. Just little flurries here and there. We stayed backside on the lee of the island all day and I was really upset with the skipper at the time for not going around frontside to try to catch some schools swimming in the currents. Sport King was the only other commercial vessel out there with us and in the morning they made the decision to go frontside and I really wanted to go as well to catch a larger grade of fish. Now that I look at the fish report I see our captain made a good decision! The Sport King didn’t do nearly as well.

We basically moved from spot to spot either when the bite died down or when Mr Seal made his presence. We stayed in shallow water really close to shore. Pretty much the hot ticket was to flyline a chovie hooked through the nose with #1 or 2 hook. As JapanRon says, keep your hooks sharp! I lost three bones after my first two, put on a new hook and was go-time again. A slightly larger grade of codas and bones were also caught on jigs tossed from the bow. I used 3/8 oz. bullet sliders and got out from the boat a little. Caught a few cudas, bonitos, sculpin and calicos, and some on the downfall. Free spool till you hit bottom to about 3 minutes, then reel in S-L-O-W-L-Y and re bait, do again. You will be surprised how many strikes and fish you get on the slow retrieve. Brought a few home as sized allowed, everything else back to growth school. Cook made GREAT food, (breakfast sandwiches and cheeseburgers ROCK!!!) beer was ice cold, deckie were cool and helpful for the most part, the pinhead……. well,…… he’s a pinhead. Skipper definitely knew what he was doing and did a great job putting us on the fish but I’m still pissed that he didn’t rotate so everyone else could have a chance to fish the chum line.

The fish report says 68 Calico Bass 31 Barracuda 4 Sheephead 206 Bonito 80 Perch. I didn’t see any perch so I don’t know what hat they pulled that out of, the rest of the count is including throwbacks. One other thing to note, the sides of this boat are VERY small and people are constantly trying to get by you. They catch fish and hit you across the back with them or are knocking over poles and stepping on them as they go to their sacks. There is no live-well in the front of this boat so the traffic of people never stops! I mean they grab a bait, sneak by you, bait slips out of their hand goes into the drink, then they’re coming by again. This never stops from the time you get to Catalina to the time you leave.

Overall I had a fun time and would go again. Maybe next time I’ll do a Thursday instead though. 65 people is way too many people to be on this small boat with.
Hope this helps or gives you some insight as what to expect.

Tight lines!

SG.

JapanRon
07-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Speed God,

Dang fine report !! Tellin' it like it is but with a balanced word on the good side of things. Yes, the Persuit does NOT rotate from my understanding. And .... if you're not on the stern at Catalina .... you're no-where ..... when it comes to prime fishing in my not-so-humble-opinion !! Heard about the walks being narrow and especially tough if a person is heavy-set !! No front tank !! That's unusual .... to me !! Granted ... a lot of boat have the front tanks but don't usually utilize them.

Glad to hear the boat operation is excellent.

Sounds like you had fun and some fish too!! Get up waaaaay earlier next time and see if that works on the stern thing.

JapanRon

fish_sauce
07-19-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks SG for an awesome detailed report! :)

bummer on the crowed boat. i went on a monday a few weeks back and it was still 60 something heads on the boat. :(

chris
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
thanks for the report. I've bashed the amount people this boat takes every week for 4 weeks. they take to many people. there is no casting room on the side of the boat

keenefish
07-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Unfortunately he does take too many people and there is no rotating but the captain is dam good at finding fish. Next time get there at 3am to pick your spot :LOL:

Hawkeye
07-20-2008, 12:34 PM
hey speed god, I saw you guys on Friday, I was on the Spitfire and at one point passed each other. We had around 40 people on our boat but it wasn't as bad, we had a lot of quality fish. our main problem were the seals, at one point 2 circling the boat and aggressive birds, people were flylining and the pelicans were literally eating them and few getting hooked. I have been on the pursuit few times, few good experiences but after the last one when it was way too crowded, I decided to give up on the pursuit. My last trip on the pursuit was just bad, way overcrowded and mix that with alcohol, every darn second people were getting tangled, filled with stern hogs, tempers were flaring, that was not fun, that was just plain miserable. Going early doesn’t really help because with that many people, as soon as there is an opening because you want to take sip of water, use the restroom, etc someone will literally stand where you were at the rails so you lose your place. I know someone made a comment about good restaurant attracting a big crowd comparing it to the pursuit situation but I believe that is the wrong analogy to use, my analogy is, it is more like being in a situation where you have this movie that is just opening up and only few theaters are showing the movie. The theater knowing this wants to capitalize on this by selling way more tickets then there are seats inside the theater. People buy tickets for a good time and go inside the theater to find out the theater oversold the tickets and you have no place to sit, and guess what, no refunds! I suspect the only reason why pursuit is packed is because not too many moo moo boats go out of LA/Long Beach area to go to catalina other then very few limited load boats which maybe too expensive for some. Anyway, sorry you had to go through that experience... hopefully you will have a better experience on another boat.

Speed God
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Hawkeye.

Yeah that's right we saw you guys had a lighter load. I thought Spitfire was just staying local at first. I guess I just didn't notice as I was constantly watching that people walking behind me didn't drop a sulpin on my back or something. LOL!

Yeah it was pretty much a free-for-all. I wish the captain would grow some nads and do something about the situation, or I may as well find another boat. Like you said, what are you going to do? There's 2 or 3 boats going to the island and I didn't feel like fishing horseshoe or the flats.....

Seals were everywhere. We must have moved a dozen times. We would move into one area, bring in a few fish, 5 minutes later seal would come, and bite would shut down. Time to move again.
At least we didn't just stay there for hours like some skippers do. So that was a plus.

What really amazed me was all the tangles from flylining with no weight. And all the crew were telling us to do it too!!! I didn't feel like getting tangled to I used a little slipshot but if I was on an Albacore boat and this was happening, the rods & reels would be pulled from us and we would be banned from fishing! LOL!!!

pokerface12
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
What really amazed me was all the tangles from flylining with no weight. And all the crew were telling us to do it too!!! I didn't feel like getting tangled to I used a little slipshot but if I was on an Albacore boat and this was happening, the rods & reels would be pulled from us and we would be banned from fishing! LOL!!!
The crew was correct with their advice. Most bonita, cuda, and calico bass are hitting the flyline sardines and anchovies during this time of year. It would be nice if the crew would advice their passengers to fish the dropper loop with 4 ounces sinkers and catch nothing, but at least there wouldn't be any tangles for me and you. If I ever fish with that many people on a boat there are two options. Get there early and get a stern spot or fish the iron and plastic on the bow. Last I remember the captain doesn't rotate, so get there early and get a good spot.

Trout Nine
07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the report...Next time try getting there early it would help. The Pursuit is a really good boat the Captain & Crew have been great to me, Maybe It's so many people because they put you on the fish and they may not rotate because a lot of people get there early 3:00 or so and wait there just so they can get a good spot....Try Tuesday it may have less people

TROUT NINE

sardean
07-21-2008, 10:35 PM
come on you "greenhorns" stop the whining. why is the spitfire parked in july ? because 5 people cant pay for the boat to run...if you need so much room to fish and walk around why dont you hit up the pier.