PDA

View Full Version : New to 2lb line, any tips?

jmurillo74
07-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Just bought a new Pflueger President set up with 2lb Pline CXX. Any tips for a guy who has been using 6lb all his life to catch trout? What can I expect form the 2lb line? Thanks guys.

BakoBassin
07-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Be sure you have no nicks in your line and be sure you lubricate the line when you tie knots. Also be sure your drag is set correctly for conditions.

jeff4321
07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
prepare to lose alot more rigs than before..haha, but prepare to catch more fish than before. keep your drag loose, dont try to to "waterski"/ bring in the fish really fast, play them till they are tired. if they dont want to turn, dont try to make them turn. You also might want to get a Ultra-light rod some good ones are the Shimano Compre 7 ft or 7 ft 6 in. Or Shimano Clarus ultralight 5ft 6 in. St croix makes some really nice ones ranging from 5ft to 7 ft. Maybe Kencor, if you have some money to spend..

Mike274
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Jmurillo,

I have fished all types and weights of lines in the sierras and the bottom line is this. FLOUROCARBON - FLOUROCARBON-FLOUROCARBON! It is not just the wieght of the line it is also the type. As I said before I have fished cheap 2# and quality 2# i.e. Berkley and I will tell you what. A good quality Berkley Vanish type 2# FLOUROCARBON is the best producer by far. Especially for dunking bait or minijigs. For trolling up to 6#, and just tossing lures a 4# will work. You could also use a heavier, or different type of running line and a Berkley Vanish type FLOUROCARBON leader. Wouldn't think it would matter but it does.

By the way did I mention FLOUROCARBON?

Jeff suggested another good tip concerning rods. A softer tip won't necessarily help you hook more fish, but it will definately help you land more fish. Also, helps with getting the bait out there and is a must for minijig fishing. I have the 7'6" Compre and Clarus which I love. Give a little extra drag to protect the line, and keep the rod tip up to keep the fish from spitting the hook. Other than that have fun!

Just my .02 cents.

Mike

samgann93
07-19-2008, 12:29 PM
2lb p-line is awesome. its all i use for trout.

just like everyone else said. as long as your drag is set correctly
and you lubricate your knots and check your nicks and frays in
your line you will be fine. its more fun with 2lb.

Sparky70
07-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Lubricate your knots?

tpfishnfool
07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Seaguar Invzx... Trust me.. Its the s#%t..

Simplyeman
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
p-line all the way, and if you want they even offer 3lb line. Other option....use 6 lb line with 2 lb leader.

samgann93
07-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Lubricate your knots?

that means that when ur gettin ready to tightien your knot lick should put some saliva
on it.

Crawler
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Lubricate your knots?

He means to wet the knot before you cinch it. ;)