PDA

View Full Version : Bendo and I tearin up the HB pier! (sorta) 7-18-08

rcfb73
07-19-2008, 01:29 AM
got the call from patrick (Mr. Bendo) on wednesday asking if i was up to fish the pier on friday...of course im up for it! although i had to work at 4pm and only got to fish half day, anytime gettin some lines wet is OK with me.

got to the pier around 7:45, pat had gotten there a bit earlier than me and staked out his lucky spot. start makin bait for a while with the sabiki...mostly 'dines with the occasional smelt here and there, a couple mack attacks, and i kept hookin 4 inch shiner perch, and a random 'chovy. set up a couple halibut rigs and a few mud marlin rigs. baited and waited for a while while bouncin the sabiki more and more...i decided to check my bait and switch it out to a more lively sardine, and when i threw it back in the water i hooked up on this nice 19" friend right as the weight hit the sea floor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300500.jpg

sweet! 3rd halibut ive ever cought so i was pretty stoked (all 3 halibut have been within a 2 week period...persistance!)

short it later i hear the clicker on my other rod start to speak up and go over and check out whats goin on.... to my suprise this nice little cuda ate the sardine i was soakin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300501.jpg

the day seemed to start off a little slow for patrick...but i dont think i have ever fished with him where he has been skunked....i think he might be immune to the stripe...seriously.
he finally got some points on the board with this guy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/rcfb73/S6300502.jpg

i hooked up on one more little hali about 8inches on a small chrome jig, pat and i both had our share of heart pumpin "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's" with the mudmarlin rigs. i unfortunately had to take off around 12:30 to get home in time to wash off my gear, take a quick power nap, and get off to work. im willing to put money down that pat got into WFO bite on everything the moment i stepped foot off the pier.

another successful pier mission in the books...pat feel free to fill in any things i missed, or whatever you hooked into after i left.

crappie stalker
07-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Cool . You guys got into some action out there.. Good going.. Is that hermosa? or huntington?

CS

supasportkid
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
nice pier action. good job

tacklejunkie
07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Nice going guys!
Never caught from a pier yet. Just some big red crabs :p

doyoufishmuch
07-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Nice going on the butts. Shorts or not, its always fun to get something besides macs all day. Nice report!

steve092
07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the action wasn't too bad.

Wingnut
07-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Pretty cool pier action. Congrats on the catch. :cool:
Probably be tough if you hang a big legal Hali. Would you hoist it all the way up over the rail or work it towards the beach? :confused:

FISHINGBEE
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Pretty cool pier action. Congrats on the catch. :cool:
Probably be tough if you hang a big legal Hali. Would you hoist it all the way up over the rail or work it towards the beach? :confused: Need either a pier gaff or when i used to fish salmon off Pacifica Pier used big crab nets to hoist up. Pier gaff is a big teble lookinkg hook weighted tied to a rope. Big tip of the day is bring canned catfood. Open the can dump into water the oils and smells from this attract tons of macs, sardines. Trust me its deadly. Great report.

FISHINGBEE

rcfb73
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Wingnut, fishingbee is right... We used a lobster/crab hoop net to help bring the flatties onto the pier. Probably wouldent use the pier gaff do to the fact that its not very C&R friendly, as all the fish we usually catch are released.

one_leg
07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Thnx 4 reporting.

Is that an Okuma Convector in the background of the first pic?

I wanna get down there to catch some sharks from the pier one of these days.

O_L

chivo
07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Cudda at the peir, sweet. good goin

Mr Bendo
07-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Next time we will do better!!!!!!!!! You can catch legals off that pier. I finally caught a small Bat ray at night and the macs and sardines kept me busy through the evening.You missed the dude who tried to hang himself off the pier, he lived, what ever he used to hang himself broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Going out next friday with Melissa. Hope you can make out next friday Steve!