PDA

View Full Version : late report week of 6-30 , 7-4 ... boating mishap

fishrbouy
07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
first of all sorry for the late report ( just busy getting back into the work thing)

where to start ?? How about at convict on Mon. Got to the lake at 5:45 am , boat on the water by 6. Started off trolling needlefish by breakwall. Good bite going right from the start .Caught 4 bows within 1/2 hour . All stockers, but a great way to start out .
Bite died down by 7:30. Kept at it , trolling needlefish, flasher- crawler combo .
A few more fish came to the net , a couple of small browns and the rest bows .
I did notice that there seemed to be the regular shore hotspots working at the far end by
the incoming streams .

Tues - back to Convict, I wanted to go to the lake on the other side of the highway , but was over ruled by the rest of the group. Oh well - back to convict - sure beats work !!
About the same as mon , but was able to drop off my step dad at the hot spot I saw the day before on shore . Told him that we'd be back in a couple of hours so he could try trolling. We did ok trolling 3 fish in 2 hours , all stocked bows. Got back to pick him up and he was just standing there with no ploes in the water . ALREADY had five on his stringer !
We figured we'd give this spot a try too. Right choice! Within 45 min I managed to catch four nice stockers for the bbq. It is always nice to catch trout on 2# test on a light pole !
standard needlefish worked well from the boat .( better than mira shad and rap's)
shore fishing the trick was peach salmon egg PB with a 3'leader and 1/4oz egg sinker .

Wed - figured we try Twin lakes in bridgeport . I have a 16' yak that I stuff between my
windshield on my boat . The plan was to let 2 friends take turns using my yak and I was
going to troll in the boat . Like I said the plan was. One of the cars that was to join us, the
tranny gave out!! Now we have an extra yak that I am not going to leave on the trailer for 7-8hours . what to do? I gave my step dad boating 101 in the marina and pushed him off
with anothner older gent from our group to troll . Oh well off to paddling . I caught 4 fish within the first 45min on a spoon type lure from the maker of "lip-rippers" ( can't think of the name of the lure ) great lure if you have not tried one . I was on the fish , but have never been to this lake before so I continued to paddle and explore . Next thing I do , I have never done before and made fun of people who I saw do it . I cast my rod-reel right into the deep about 8' from me !!! bummer ......... oh well now I joined the club !
thank goodness I had anothner rod with me . Kept working towards the stream that flows from upper to lower twin. Then the wind came up at 11-12 and it was blowing hard .
Better the yak than tube --- huge difference in strong winds ----- I would have been a sitting duck in my tube ! Back to fishing ,,,,, finally made to the back of the lake ,,, no winds , but a fast flow coming towards me .( go figure - lower into upper ??)
Just an fyi there is a no fishing area if you go back far enough up stream. marked by a pole with a sign , but it does not face the water . Found a nice looking hole , but the water was really flowing thru there . Caught a few small bows , but I figured if I could get down to the bottem there had to be something nice in there. Finally I tied on a big bullet weight that I had with me and sure enough, felt the bottem, reeled in slowly and tap tap ,set the hook and could tell it was something nice , 16 Brown with a big tail.
Only using 2# so had to take it easy. Had the fish at my feet three times after fighting over to me , and it would swim away as soon as I reached for it with my net. Finally on the 4th try was able to land . Great fun ---- over 10min fighting this guy .
Now for the ride back to the marina !! wind and more wind , was able to pull in some fish along the way . bows only .
Made it back to the marina ---- where is my step dad with the boat ?? Waited 45min and finally I see him coming in . I go over to the slip to help him land the boat . The wind is still
blowing and my boat has a 3/4 length stand up top . He is first doing circles , then getting blown towards a rocky point with 5-6 fisherman wondering what this guy was up to!!
Finally 5min later and more circles and figure eights than I have time to tell , he is close to the slip 15feet --- 10 feet --- 5 feet away ---- almost in --- almost....
the wind hits the boat and my step dad ----- HITS THE GAS- 40HP MOTOR-. 3FEET FROM THE DOCK, HE GIVES IT ALL IT'S GOT !! Guess who is now laying on his back while my boat is in a pushing match with the slip?? The other guy in the boat is on his back in the front of the boat . My step dad reaches up and pulls in the gas ( about 20 seconds later ) I don't know if I should be crying or rolling on my back with laughter . I was able to ask if they were both ok and I got a yes from both . NEVER EVER GIVE BOATING 101 IN THE MARINA AND THINK THAT EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE !!!! Had to be there , you would have been rolling . Boat ended up being fine , just a lot a pride that got damaged !!
Still a great day over all . Now I have a great story to tell as long as my step dad is not in ear shot and I'm wearing a diaper!

thurs ---- off to one of my favorites- Lake Mary . good day - trolling - needle fish
2 limits - back to the cabin ( YES - I am getting typed out )

Fri --- off to June ,,,,, very slow at the start , but towards the end of the day I managed to get a 18" cut while on the troll . ( large taz devil , blue -white -pink)
One of the prettiest fish I have seen . Had a huge tail for it's size , good fight on 12#lead .

Sat - Just hung around the Mammoth lakes area , Mary - Twin- Mammie.
Had a great time in my yak , nailing the fishees.

In closing ( I know about time!) was a very good trip . Seemed like the needle fish and taz devils were the way to go trolling , As far as from shore , light line , long leader , bigger egg sinker . The peach - salmon egg- PB was the way to go . Probably caught around 50-60 fish thru- out the week . Kept my 10 to bring home and ate some while up there on the bbq.

Remember the main lesson ---- boating 101 is fine as long as YOU are in the boat to help out the rookie if they run into trouble !!!!!!!

JIMMY JAM
07-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for putting the time in to file such a detailed report.
Ah yes, marina humor. I'll all of us at one time or another have seen some pretty funny things happen at the launch. At least nobody was hurt.

diamondbear
07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
lol lol , Way funny on the boat rookie , but good report thou . thanks

Mike274
07-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Always gotta have at least one of those stories or it just ain't a fishin' trip. Without this stuff what would we talk about at family functions and funerals.

Congrats, sounds like you had a great time.

WAVEMHOME
07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the report.

I've seen funny and seen sad at the launches... Hell, I've even participated...lol