PDA

View Full Version : Where is the right sport to place your bait??

familyguy15
07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
What is the right place to place your bait when fishing the surf, in front of the wave behind it or in it? Hit the surf again today, saw quiet a few fish that looked silver in color zooming around me, what are they? Also, I hear alot of the LC 110 but can never find it in stores. Is there anything like a rapala or something like that, that would work evenly well? Last but not least, there were people using the mussels they found on the rocks as bait, would these work and what type of fish are caught with these. Please bear with me as I am knew. Trying to learn everything I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

tacklejunkie
07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
You can catch lots of stuff with mussels. Bass, perch, croakers.. and tons more I prolly don't know about.

Try a "rapala Xtreme action slash bait" AKA XRAP. Use a shad or anchovy color (silver or blue) and put some dots on it (or not) and you're good to go.
The fish you saw everywhere were likely Corbina or Croakers.

baluga
07-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I hear alot of the LC 110 but can never find it in stores.

Here ya go!
They have a lot in stock! hurry up before they run out!
[quote=fishing25;217827]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190239240480&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
ebay store.

fish_sauce
07-24-2008, 06:50 PM
Also, I hear alot of the LC 110 but can never find it in stores. Is there anything like a rapala or something like that, that would work evenly well?

you can get them online or at major chain stores like Bass Pro Shops or Turners Outdoorsman. A lot of small tackle shops also carry them, but you will find that their selections will be limited and they're usually always sold out on the popular patterns...be prepared to spend some good money if you're planning to pick up a few...

The thing is...you really don't need a LCFM to catch a halibut or whatever you're going after on the surf...i caught my first legal hali on the classic rapala...and i'm sure many here have also landed a great deal of fish with plastics, flies, jigs and spoons...

imho, it's just one of many ways of achieving a common end, but if you're looking for something that works evenly well then its gonna be tough. There are many different types of lures out there, but few will offer you the same ease of use and consistency (in terms of catches) and performance (action, mimicking quality). if you do find a worthwhile contender, make sure you let us know. :Wink:

Try a "rapala Xtreme action slash bait" AKA XRAP. Use a shad or anchovy color (silver or blue) and put some dots on it (or not) and you're good to go.

Rapala's X-Raps are decent lures for the money...the only downside to them is that they are lighter than the LCFM; therefore, making it slightly harder to cast long distances...but i have had success with them before...

Wingnut
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Try to place your bait or lure right behind the breaking waves. Fish rush in to quickly grab food that has been churned up by the turbulence and to snatch up disoriented baitfish. I timed my casts while working the artificials to land behind the wave and retrieve the lure right behind it until it breaks. Most of the strikes will come as the lure moves thru the area after the wave breaks.

But the most important thing is to look for structures in the water. A combination of finding good structures and perfectly timed casts will most likely yield possitive results. :Wink:

Granny Fish
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
You don't need a LC to catch fish in the surf, but if you want to spend the money... I think Fisherman's Hardware had some when I was there last.

Cangler
07-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Is there anything like a rapala or something like that, that would work evenly well?

Crocs and Kastmasters work just fine.
I have never owned a LC nor do i want too.

You can also try dropshotting plastics and gulp swimbaits

Wingnut is right ... try to find structure or features.Check out an area at low tide.Look for troughs and channels that cause backwash.

Also keep an eye out for bait boils and cast around them.

Really its all trial and error.
Lures come in a million shapes , colors and sizes , but you
cant beat experience