PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Seal Beach during grunion run tonight, need HELP!!

toofastq
07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise!! I am a novice when it comes to fishing from the surf or jetties, and I wanted to get some advice. I have also never seen a grunion run, and I heard from a fellow fisherman one night at seal beach that he had caught many legal halibut during a grunion run, mostly on the second or third night.

Here comes my question. I was wondering what type of plastics work best for halibut, bass or any other fish that might be lurking around during a grunion run. I really only have a Sports Chalet near my house, so I was wondering what you would recommend buying from a pretty commercial store. I have read that big hammer and whams work well for calico and sand bass? I don't know what those are, but do they attach to a lead head? If so what weight would be best?

Thanks for all your help!! If I get lucky I will be sure to post the results.

sonarbp
07-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey toofastq,

Where are you comming from....what city? Maybe I can point you in the direction of a good tackle shop.

toofastq
07-18-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm coming from Los Alamitos.

boxl0bster
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
what day of hte grunion run is it today? 1st 2nd? 3rd?? the 2nd and 3rd days are the best and the grunion run best during the 2nd hour. so if the run starts at 10 than the best run will be at 11.

tacklejunkie
07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Sorry to stray off topic..
But where can I park at Seal Beach at night to witness my first grunion run?
Does anyone know any other areas they may be running?

I was sold some big hammers that look just like those grunions at turners off the 55 near Katella..

Check out the big hammer site for what leadhead to use with what hammer size. There is some good articles about surf fishing halibut on there too. They say the best time to fish the hammer is just after the grunion run. I've heard 24 hours afterwords is really good?

calico killer kevin
07-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey TJ, how about Sunset Beach? It's on PCH and Warner, just down the way from Bolsa Chica and behind Jack In The Box. Try going an hour and fifteen minutes after the high tide.