PDA

View Full Version : 7-17-08 NPH w/pics

bergie berg
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone, I hope the summer fishing is treating you well. My Dad and I fished a very weak outgoing tide at NPH this morning from about 10-1:30. We launched at the M street dock/beach and fished along the docks, north jetty, and around the bait barge. Considering the lousy tide we actually did pretty well and we stuck some nice spotties and a few sand bass (up to 15 inches). We also found a few small barracuda and a little 14 inch halibut that were willing to play. All fish were caught on AA grubs, Jerk shads, and 3 inch big hammers and were safely released. The pics are of the bigger spotties, the small halibut, and a few barracudas so enjoy! On another note, during the paddle back we ran into a guy who said he was heading out to fish the kelp outside of CDM. I knew there was a kelp bed out there, but he was the first guy that I have heard of trying to fish it. Anyway, this sparked me and my dad's interest and we were thinking about poking around out there next week on the 'yak, any thoughts?

-Thomas and Dean

tacklejunkie
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Nice fish!
How do you guys fish the hammers? Drag 'em on the bottom or just cruise them in?

Yamo
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I fished CDM Kelp on Tuesday for the first time. A lot of bait fish, but as fishy as it looks I didn’t score on anything. But it was a slow day as there wasn’t much happening inside the harbor or at the bait barge either. The water was clear, so I could see fish chasing my Lure (4 inch Gulp Shrimp), but no takers. But it looks like the area will produce.

I was going to go out this morning, but I got up to late (I just don’t like the wind which starts to kick up around 11:00am). So I might go out tomorrow instead. Only suggestion I have is bring either an anchor or rope to tie to the kelp to prevent the current from moving you around which will minimize getting snagged on the kelp.

bergie berg
07-18-2008, 11:20 AM
tacklejunkie-
We usually change up our retrieves to find what is working, but the retrieve that seems to work the best for me is a stop and go retrieve. Cast out the plastic, let it sink to the bottom give it 3-4 winds and stop, let the lure sink down 3-4 winds and stop, do this all the way in. Bass will nail the lure when you stop reeling, at which point the lure is sinking back down

Yamo-
thanks for the tip man and sorry about the skunk!!! I will post up the report when we go out there.

pipelayer5150
07-19-2008, 07:31 AM
ive scored huge in those kelp on calicos, sand bass and wsb there . gonna actually go there today stay tuned for a post tomorow.

tacklejunkie
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
tacklejunkie-
We usually change up our retrieves to find what is working, but the retrieve that seems to work the best for me is a stop and go retrieve. Cast out the plastic, let it sink to the bottom give it 3-4 winds and stop, let the lure sink down 3-4 winds and stop, do this all the way in. Bass will nail the lure when you stop reeling, at which point the lure is sinking back down

Thanks man. That's what I read on the hammer sight too. I gotta give the harbor a shot from the pontoon one of these days but I guess I still haven't figured out where to launch just yet.

FISHINGBEE
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Great job on the slow tide. Great time to light line it say 2 to 4 lb test small jig very light head usually helps.

FISHINGBEE

chivo
07-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Nice day. Good times