PDA

View Full Version : need knowledge on newport harbor fishing

lizzay
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I've been reading threads on harbor fishing, surf fishing, etc. and I've come to realize that I need something different in my life other than the same 'ole lake fishing I've been doing for years. Remembering the charters I used to go to I'm deciding to try to fish in the harbors and channels for maybe some good halibut fishing. I noticed that Davey's Locker rents these skiffs out. I'm planning on trying these skiff out and and around the area for halibuts, would that be possible? Any suggestions on rods, rigs, lures, lines, sinkers, etc? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

sonarbp
07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
lizzay,

Yes you can get the skiff from davey's. As for gear...nothing to heavy is needed unless you go after the mud marlins. Try to stick with the lighter gear.....the same type you use to fish for LMB. I use a low profile casting reel spooled with 6 to 8 lb line on a medium rod with a fast tip. Use sledheads in the 1/4oz 4/0 and rig a 7" gulpjerk shad or a 1/4oz 2/0 with a 5" gulp jerkshad in anchovy or smelt. cast it out and reel slow keeping the bait on the bottom.

bergie berg
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I would try AA grubs in chartuese/gold and clear w/red flake. Rig them on either a 3/16 or 1/4 ounce football or darter head with a #2 hook. But my favorite lures to use in the harbor are the 3 inch big hammers in either halloween, christmas tree, or key lime. Rig the big hammers with either a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce lead head with a #2 hook. Cast lures into docks, pilings, etc. let them sink to the bottom and use a stop and go retrieve (three or four cranks stop, three or four cranks stop, all the way back in). You will catch some nice bass this way and the occasional halibut will jump on board. Lastly, please release the bass you catch so they can get big and fat, make a bunch more just like em, and maybe someday pull on another lucky angler's line.

ken725
07-20-2008, 10:58 AM
use the strategies you used to target bass in the lakes. Drop shots with the gulp jerk shads work well. Also try throwing some cranks. If the fishing is slow try slow trolling some diving lures.