PDA

View Full Version : "HEAL THE BAY" 10 WORST BEACHES

Fisherman57
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Some interesting info for those that fish the surf.........

Heal The Bay released it's "Beach Report Card" today:

The report card grades beaches on the risk of adverse health effects to beachgoers. Those grades are based on daily and weekly fecal bacteria pollution level in the surfzone.

According to the report, 79 percent of Southern California locations received As or Bs, which was slightly lower than the state average.

According to the report, L.A. County has the worst overall beach quality in the state.

Only 57 percent of the locations there received As or Bs.

The report named the 10 worst beaches in the state.

They are:

1. Long Beach
2. Castlerock Storm Drain at Castlerock Beach
3. Marie Canyon Storm Drain in Malibu
4. Avalon Beach on Catalina Island
5. Surfrider Beach in Malibu
6. Santa Monica Pier
7. Campbell Cove State Park Beach in Sonoma County
8. Venice Beach at Frenchman's Creek
9. Arroyo Burro Beach in Santa Barbara
10. Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro

More info at http://www.healthebay.org

Sea Murda
05-23-2007, 04:27 PM
WOW Avalon Beach! That would be one of the last places I would think of.....

KaliDawgFan
05-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Awesome fish there Dana! What did you catch him on?

Sorry...couldn't resist

valhalla_1_2000
05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
This is precisely why I don't do the bay and harbor fishing thing in socal.

KaliDawgFan
05-23-2007, 05:58 PM
This is precisely why I don't do the bay and harbor fishing thing in socal.

You can still do it, just toss them all back.

fishncatalina
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!!! We made the list again 8) :lol:

ghetto dad
05-23-2007, 08:51 PM

thats what i was thinkin......

Troutman65
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Avalon Beach has been on the list before. I was susprised the first time I heard that it was on the list.

SanDimasLMB
05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe Avalon Bay is on there because of the recent fire :?

Troutman65
05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
It's not on there because of the fire little buddy.

fishncatalina
05-23-2007, 10:46 PM
The waters around the island are very clean but in the harbor at certain times of the year they are very polluted because off run off through the city and old pipes that leak into the harbor, if you look at the water it looks as clear as can be, but when they test it they find it's what can't be seen thats dangerous...especially when sewage leaks happen..YUM :wink:

Oz
05-23-2007, 11:29 PM
not suprised about #1,#6,#8 but avalon never would have thought like other have said.

steelhead
05-24-2007, 08:32 AM
You've got a lot of activity in that harbor with all the ferries going coming from mainland over and all the yachts and boats in that harbor and additionally all those businesses that front the the beach would contribute to the pollutants that's found in the water.. so no surprise there.

sandiegojoe
05-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Plus you've got some of the boats in the harbor illegally dumping their waste.

One thing to keep in mind with heal the Bays reports... These beaches get bad grades because we have coliform bacteria data for the beaches and storm drains. California has more stringent water quality sampling than any other state.

One reason we rank the worst, because many other areas simply don't have the data to be ranked at all. Also some sampling occurs directly in front of outfalls in some cities, some sampling occurs farther down the beach.

This doesn't really apply to the quality of fish either. It's simply a preventative measure for human contact with bacteria.

As far as fish go, bacteria levels in the surf directly in front of a storm drain pose little risk to fish and human consumption of said fish. What you need to worry about are fish caught in nearly-enclosed bays with heavy industrial use, shipyards, and a history lots of boats with toxic bottom paint. Think south San Diego Bay (which has been ranked the worst when it comes to metals and toxicity) as an example.

If it's in a bay... I won't eat it. but Avalon? No prob.

DarkShadow
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Yum, serve me up them halibut from the beach!

smokehound
05-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Hell i still eat the fish. *shrug*

Lol. Im still wondering how seal beach or newport beach arent on this list.

Troutman65
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
L.A. County thing.

kissthecrook
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
As a proud citizen of Iowa by the Sea (Long Beach), i need to say they are off. If you go here
http://www.longbeach.gov/health/organization/eh/water/water_samples.asp
, you will see not all beaches in the LBC are dirty. 55th is almost always fairly clean. This website is updated weekly and is a good LBC resource. All because of Mothers Beach and some PCB filled croakers and some syringes and coney Island whitefish, LBC gets a bad name. :cry:

bones
05-25-2007, 06:55 PM
What I love about this report is that the Southbay is not on the list.
That's KEWL 8)

bigfishlittlefish
05-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Glad to see that Corona (without the del Mar) is not on the bummer list. On a more serious note, I'm glad the northern OC coast had A's in dry weather. When I can, I usually fish North OC. To my fellow IE residents, keep up the good work picking up after your pets.

BTW, does this mean that when I'm in the surf, I can still do #1s, but #2s are not an option?

bflf, #1 not 2