PDA

View Full Version : Random acts of kindness

buttface
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Wow I experienced the coolest thing over the last week, not on this forum but another. Obviously everyone on this site loves the LC 110, although I read a lot of posts about the 110 and what it catches I seem to gravitate towards the 100. Not sure why it just catches more fish for me than the 110. Well I met a person over the internet that also like the 100's to. He also asked why I wanted to 100 over the 110. I simply stated that it works better for me. Below you will find a few exerpts from the email conversation. The title to the post will make more sense after the email exerpts:

Anonymous Nice Guy: VERY interesting. See, the 100 has a lot better darting action than the 110. It has become the go-to bait for freshwater guys. The 110 is a dog for bass compared to the 100. Give me your address and I'll send ya one in Metallic Sardine from my private stash.

Me: Yep I agree although I am no expert in the matter, this just comes from trial and error when I was figuring out how to fish with lucky crafts. I noticed that the beaches I fished were all sandy at the bottom and didn't have to worry about snags. The 100's seem like foraging bait fish in the sand when you fish them. How much will it cost?

Anonymous Nice Guy: NO COST. Sounds like you are straight reeling the baits. Do you ever jerk, jerk-pause-jerk the baits like we do in freshwater? (Know what I'm talking about? Its called Jerk Bait fishing).

Me: Most of the time I am just reeling it in. I will try the jerk fishing. Wow thanks Anonymous Nice Guy? I haven't had a random act of kindness bestowed upon me in a long time. Thank you so much, I don't know what else to say.

Anonymous Nice Guy: I think we all deserve those random acts once in awhile. Enjoy the bait and let me know when you catch something on it!

Look What I got today......

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/phishface_01/lcsardine.jpg

Even spent a dollar of his own money to send it to me....

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii176/phishface_01/1.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this so if a mod thinks it would be better in another topic please move. I just want as many people as possible to see it......

chris
07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
reminds me of touring with the dead as a younger guy with my finger in the air waiting for a miracle

good luck with the lure

troutdog
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Most fellow fisherman are just good people....I have been very fortunate to meet quite a few here on FNN and out on the water.

Thanks for sharing the story!

TD

buttface
07-15-2008, 08:04 PM
reminds me of touring with the dead as a younger guy with my finger in the air waiting for a miracle

good luck with the lure

I saw you...with your ticket stub in your hand...........

Never got to go to a dead show but i used to tour with phish....

Wingnut
07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Very cool, what goes around... comes around. ;) :cool:

Granny Fish
07-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Very cool... :cool:

nismotech91
07-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Sweet. That guy has some good karma coming his way.

chris
07-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I saw you...with your ticket stub in your hand...........

Never got to go to a dead show but i used to tour with phish....

yep the same finger worked/ works for phish (i shouldn't start paying for tickets all of a sudden right?)

Phishin's Phun

sansou
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey,

Too cool. Now you need to "pay it forward" or you will incur bad juju.

PM sent with my P.O. Box address on the Red Rooster III.

jplee3
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Nice deal! Nice people are the best :)

jerryG
07-16-2008, 01:06 AM
I've been throwing LC lures at Halibut for about 5 years and could not agree more with recommendations. The Flash minnow 110 is deadly on the flat fish on a slow steady retrieve but the LC Pointer 100 is every bit as effective. I use them both and would have a hard time picking one over the other as they both have their place. If I had to choose one however I would choose the Pointer because it does a better job of catching picky fish that otherwise would not come up off the bottom to bite a moving lure. The flash minnow on a steady slow to medium retrieve is deadly for catching halibut but the fish must be somewhat active and willing to come up off the bottom to eat it. The pointer is deadly when fished in a traditional jerk bait style with a rip and pause retrieve. The darting action causes a reaction that triggers strikes from both fish which are actively feeding as well as non active fish. The pointer swims a little deeper then then the flash minnow and when the erratic darting action makes contact with the bottom and then pauses it seems to make halibut furious often prevoking violent strikes.

JerryG

tacklejunkie
07-16-2008, 06:53 AM
The darting action causes a reaction that triggers strikes from both fish which are actively feeding as well as non active fish.

That action is known as "the C-start". This is where a baitfish turns in a C motion when getting ready to flee a predator. Fish see a fish trying to run from them and they feel they are chasing it even if they are not. This will a lot of the time trigger the strike in inactive fish.

Not to mention at times the pointer dives deeper than the LCFM110 and can probably get in the zone better depending on the situation of course.

I could see the pointer 100 working out pretty good.
I'll give it a shot next time out. I mostly use my 78 sized in fresh water and don't get much use from my 100's anyways so I guess I'll try it out in the saltwater.

jerryG
07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Trust me TJ the pointer is deadly. Fish it like a rip bait. As far as colors go I would recommend anything with blue in it. The Arora Blk gets bit real good as it does a great job of imitating a grunion / smelt.

The first Lucky I threw at the halibut was a an Arora Blk Pointer 78. The bite was WFO everyday for over a month during the time when I started using lucky crafts and I was going everyday after work. I've been fishing local salt (and fresh) water for over 30 years I never experienced a halibut bite that even came close to what it was during that period of time. Halibut blowing up all over the surface flying through the air chasing bait in every direction along a stretch spanning several miles of beach. It was insane...

Within a moth nearly all the paint was chewed off that first LC Pointer that I started with and I ended up retiring that lure to rack of fame where it is joined by a few other pieces of tackle that have earned their place on my tackle rack of fame.

When I first started throwing LC at halibut the only other guy I knew who was using the LC was for halibut was the one who started it all (Sinjin AKA Halijedi). At first He tried to tell people on this board and others about the effectiveness of jerk baits and drop shotting for halibut but no one took his information too seriously. So he started posting daily reports with pictures of numberous legal halibut until finally it became too much for even the most serous doubters to ingnore. The rest was history. Lucy Craft should have Sponsered Sinjin he literally helped them sell thousands of $$ in lures. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up to fish sometime. My buddy Toads Only will probably be down to go too.

JerryG

tacklejunkie
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Good stuff man.
I grabbed me a pointer 100 SP in Aurora Black yesterday. I'll give it a shot next time out. Give me a shout out in PM a day before you guys head out and I'll try and join ya.

Yes, Sinjin does know his stuff. I don't know him personally but I've asked him a few questions in PM before and he was very helpful and gave great tips (as well as a few areas to try for fish!).

I never knew he was the one who started in with the LC110 though. (I had for some reason thought that it was always done that way). No wonder when I ask the dudes at the tackle shops they say they catch butts on swimbaits and drop shot or chovies, but nobody ever mentions the LC110 when you ask.

slief
07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow, that was nice of the guy! It is always a good feeling when someone reaches out like that. Especially in this day and age. Good luck with it! I am sure it will bring you lots of success! Make sure you pass the act of kindness on!

good luck with the lure

Chris,
I went to school with Rock Scully's (Greatful Deads manager) daughter back in the mid 80's.. Did you know any of them? Some of the stories I heard from Acacia about the tour travels were pretty crazy..

Tikka
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Thats great!!!!..after daily commuting down the 101 each day amongst all those really WONDERFUL people, a story like this restores my faith in my fellow human beings!!!
I know how "anonymous nice guy" feels, though...it's a real warm happy feeling that many more people need to get in touch with.
This must have made your month, Mate!
Thanks for sharing!
Tikka

Tikka
07-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I've tried the 100's as well and have just as much luck with them....but I haven't tried jerking them....gotta give it a shot next time!
For all you 110 lovers who may be having problems locating the lures, I just found a site and received 2 LC110 MJ Herrings from them....they seem to stock all the patterns.
Check out the link...
http://tfbass.com/osCommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=10_90_229
Tikka

HBJapo
07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey,

Too cool. Now you need to "pay it forward" or you will incur bad juju.

PM sent with my P.O. Box address on the Red Rooster III.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Smart man Sansou!

That was a really cool gesture - the random act of kindness. I love giving people tackle or bait, seems to make their day. I gave one kid an extra pair of nail clippers and he thought I was the coolest guy in the world. Which I probably am! LOL.

Japo :Envious:

chris
07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow, that was nice of the guy! It is always a good feeling when someone reaches out like that. Especially in this day and age. Good luck with it! I am sure it will bring you lots of success! Make sure you pass the act of kindness on!

Chris,
I went to school with Rock Scully's (Greatful Deads manager) daughter back in the mid 80's.. Did you know any of them? Some of the stories I heard from Acacia about the tour travels were pretty crazy..

no i didn't ever meet any of them. Tour life was crazy it was similiar to a giant city that moved across the u.s.

buttface
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Well since I got this nice shiney new lure I need to catch a 40+ inch hali this weekend so anyone down? The grunion also start to run on Friday.

fish_sauce
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Well since I got this nice shiney new lure I need to catch a 40+ inch hali this weekend so anyone down? The grunion also start to run on Friday.

PM sent. ;) If the grunion run's on friday night, saturday AM might be a slow bite...but i have a few new shiny lures i want to break in also!