PDA

View Full Version : Leopard shark help.

Ire
07-15-2008, 03:34 PM
A fellow told me that they are great eating and really start to bite in August.

So what I wanted to know what sort of rig should I throw for them? I wanted to surf fish for them. However I would be happy to use the pier of jetty to fish for them. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Note this would be the first time ever I've ever wanted to hunt a shark. So I am very excited.

herekittykitty
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I myself have never ate leopard shark before but do understand as well that it is a tasty animal. The last time I saw someone pull one out of the surf they were using squid with a triangle weight at the bottom and a drop loop about a foot and a half above.

Also when fishing leopard sharks remember that they do have a size limit on them, believe it is 42" but dont quote me on it. Most I have seen from piers and the surf at least in the orange county area have been tiny.

Ire
07-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I actually check size limits often and if I don't know I never keep a fish. From the last time I looked it was set to 36" to keep them. Thanks for the tips.

chris
07-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I actually check size limits often and if I don't know I never keep a fish. From the last time I looked it was set to 36" to keep them. Thanks for the tips.

i believe it's 36 as well i have had good luck with fresh dead and bloody macks on a carolina rig, mostly from my boat but we've got em at piers and such too.

Just so you are aware they have been considered endangered in the past due to the aquarium industry and overfishing the spawning grounds like san francisco bay and la jolla area so only take what you need and release the rest(since they congregate in schools and the bite sometimes goes wide open)

Ire
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
i believe it's 36 as well i have had good luck with fresh dead and bloody macks on a carolina rig, mostly from my boat but we've got em at piers and such too.

Just so you are aware they have been considered endangered in the past due to the aquarium industry and overfishing the spawning grounds like san francisco bay and la jolla area so only take what you need and release the rest(since they congregate in schools and the bite sometimes goes wide open)

Roger that!

I don't like to over fish myself. After all I would like to catch them in the future.

CrabMan
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey Ire,

Leopard shark is great for eating. It's texture and taste is a lot like sword fish. The best way to filet it is into steaks (gut it first and cut it across the body like like you're cutting it in half). Make the steaks about 3inches thick, leave the cartledge in and BBQ--It's fantastic!:D

A great way to fish for them is by using a conventional reel with 25-40lb line on a long (10-14') rod. Don't use a sinker. You'll need about a 6/0 hook. Cut a fresh mackeral or bonito in half and hook the bait in the middle. Fish at a high going to a low tide. Once you cast out keep your reel in free spool and let the bait make it's way out to sea. Once you get a bite let the fish eat the bait for about 30 seconds and set the hook. Walk back up the beach to get some leverage on the fish and you're in business.

There are many good areas to catch leopards. The best time to fish for them is at night as this is when them feed. The current California record, held by Ron "Sidewinder" Schmidt, was caught at Bluff Cove in Palos Verdes. It was 47lbs 1oz. All of PV is good for leopard shark fishing. But some other noteworthy spots are Torrance Beach, Venice Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad and Huntington Cliffs.

Because they take so long to grow to a legal length be sure to take only one now and then so as to keep the population strong--Plus, one at 20-40 lbs goes a long way!

P.S. if you run into Sidewinder Ron while surf fishing, he drives a white van and is about 80, ask him to tell you some stories of fishing in the 1950's--they'll make your hair stand on end!:LOL: