PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Overnighter

Liteliner
07-15-2008, 01:36 AM
I jumped on the saturday night clemente trip on the freedom with a buddy this past weekend. I started the trip early. While the boat was waiting for late passengers I decided to get a little prefish warm up. Saw a bunch of macs and croakers swimmin around the boat lights so casted out a big hammer. Three winds and im on. Turns out to be a 3 pound corvina. Atleast I thought it was. Had an orange mouth so I assumed it was an orangemouth corvina. A passenger said it was a baby white seabass and threw it back before I could snap a pic. Whatevers... If anybody knows how to tell the difference id appreciate it.

Next cast two cranks on the luna and bamm im on again. This fish was pullin alot harder. Two nice runs and I get it in. Turns out to be a 25 inch whiteseabass. Released by another passenger before I could get a pic. Whatevers.. They sure do have alot of deckies on this boat. By this time the whole boats throwin swimbaits so I quit.

Get to catalina around 2 or so to make squid. Ended up staying til a bit after 5. They crew and some of the guys that had snaggers made a tank of squid. Got to clemente pretty late. Probably lost about an hour of fishing which kinda sucked. I was hopin to fish the night calico bite. Stopped a few times and no yellows so capt went in closer to the kelp. Wide open calicos for the next three hours. I was throwin the 5 inch big hammer christmas and had my limit in an hour. All 14-15 inchers. A couple of the guys fishing the dines hooked 6 yellows and all were farmed.

Capt picks up and moves and I switch over to a 1/4 oz slider and a squid. Lots more calicos and bones. Finally hook up with a yellow and this guy just schools me and unbuttons after takin out 75 yards in a matter of seconds. Hooked another one on the last spot of the day and it broke me off. Only two yellows made it over the rail. Both on the last stop of the day. Headed in around 2:30.

All in all the crew and capt were cool. Great customer service attitude. Only wish we would have got to clemente earlier or stayed a little later. Sorry guys no pics. I only took two pics the whole trip and that was the sunrise and a the freedom flag. Didnt want to take a pic of the calicos cause i was worried somebody would release them aswell....

Final Tally for me
10 calicos killed
15-20 released
1 bonita killed
5 released
2 yellowtail farmed like a nub.....

troutdog
07-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Tough luck on the yellows Liteliner, let me know a week or two in advance and I will jump on the Freedom with you next time....I'll even be your camera guy before somebody throws your fish back! What up wit dat? ;)

Thanks for the report!

TD

DavidE
07-15-2008, 07:15 AM
What a nub!!! J/K
Sounds like it was a great trip. I gotta ride the Freedom sometime. I've heard nothing but good things about that boat.
Did any of the others hook any WSB in port??

fleaflicker
07-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Get to catalina around 2 or so to make squid. Ended up staying til a bit after 5. They crew and some of the guys that had snaggers made a tank of squid. Got to clemente pretty late. Probably lost about an hour of fishing which kinda sucked.

So did you help out to make bait? That's cool if you did, but if you didn't you shouldn't be complaining. Especially since they let everyone use them.

Liteliner
07-15-2008, 10:31 AM
So did you help out to make bait? That's cool if you did, but if you didn't you shouldn't be complaining. Especially since they let everyone use them.

Damn callin me out. WoW..... The 150 bucks i paid should be enough of a reason to complain. No i didnt help make bait. If they had extra snaggers I would have. Not everyone carries a squid snaggin setup with them. I was up the whole time watchin though. Does that count??? They rationed out the squid while we were fishing. Probably around two squid per person per stop kinda. We probably didnt even go through half the tank. I guess im old fashioned. Im more used to payin the 150 bucks and jumpin on to the boat full of bait already or chippin in the extra 5 bucks to buy some squid.

Its still a cool boat and I would jump on there again. Besides the captain gave everybody a shot of this 8 berry cleansing kinda jamba juice elixir. Yummy.... And dont spit out the pulp....

Liteliner
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Tough luck on the yellows Liteliner, let me know a week or two in advance and I will jump on the Freedom with you next time....I'll even be your camera guy before somebody throws your fish back! What up wit dat? ;)

Thanks for the report!

TD
Thanks for volunteering. I thought that was messed up too. How do you go and release somebody elses fish??? I will let you know next time. This trip was spur of the moment. I was shaking so bad reading the fishing reports and just had to get some fishing in.

Liteliner
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
What a nub!!! J/K
Sounds like it was a great trip. I gotta ride the Freedom sometime. I've heard nothing but good things about that boat.
Did any of the others hook any WSB in port??

They have the best service ive seen in a long time. They also have a freedom burger which is pretty damn good. Its a big burger.... One other guy got a ghost on a live sardine.

Oz
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
good to see u got out on the boat this year homie....sucks u farmed the 2 YT...u will get em next time. who was running the boat??? tommy or this older guy???

Ricky-Ray
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the report. So should we be calling you Farmer Liteliner from now on???? LOL j/k I gotta jump back on the Freedom. Haven't had a chance so far this year, too many other trips booked. LOL

4g63power
07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
way to go bro...sorry to hear about your lost yellows..you will get em next time...lots of juvenile wsb hanging around at the dock down there..too bad you guys got a late start at clemente but at least you guys had a tankfull of candy bait to use cause those guys stayed up there till late trying to snag em..better luck next time man

Ricky-Ray
07-15-2008, 05:45 PM
No i didnt help make bait. If they had extra snaggers I would have. Not everyone carries a squid snaggin setup with them.

That's why my tackle bag always has a squid catcher and a sabiki rig or two. You never know when you are going to have to make bait.

Ambassadorhawg
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
WTG Liteliner! I haven't been up close to Clemente in a few years now. I guess everyone thought they were doing you a favor by picking up and releasing your fish for you? After all, a gentleman certainly wouldn't allow a lady to touch some, yucky, slimey, nasty ol' fish would they??? LOL!!!

A-hawg

fleaflicker
07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
No i didnt help make bait. If they had extra snaggers I would have. Not everyone carries a squid snaggin setup with them. I was up the whole time watchin though. Does that count??? They rationed out the squid while we were fishing.

No that doesn't count. :Rolls Eyes:

I'm pretty sure they sell squid rigs on the boat. I think I saw it on their galley menu. You could have asked. Just think, if there were a few others making the effort to make the bait, how much quicker it could have been. It would have been more fishing time at Clemente.

As for rationing, perhaps the crew knew who made the effort?

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM

If thats how the crew thinks then I take back all the props. They suck..... Id never go on there again. Lucky for you thats not the case buddy..... I will take a squid rig next time though. And I will help snag squid. And I will whine upon being late to clemente again.

There actually was like 10 -12 guys snaggin the squid. The deckies and 2nd capt and a bunch of guys who had snaggers. There wasnt enough rooom around the one light they had out. Id say the five guys closest to the light were snaggin most of the squid. The guys on the outside probably got a few pieces each.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
good to see u got out on the boat this year homie....sucks u farmed the 2 YT...u will get em next time. who was running the boat??? tommy or this older guy???

Tommy i believe. Yeah those yellows pull alot harder than i remember...

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the report. So should we be calling you Farmer Liteliner from now on???? LOL j/k I gotta jump back on the Freedom. Haven't had a chance so far this year, too many other trips booked. LOL

Too many other trips booked is a big problem....... :lol:

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
way to go bro...sorry to hear about your lost yellows..you will get em next time...lots of juvenile wsb hanging around at the dock down there..too bad you guys got a late start at clemente but at least you guys had a tankfull of candy bait to use cause those guys stayed up there till late trying to snag em..better luck next time man

Yea the squid was nice to have but most of the yellows were actually caught on the dines. Squid was gettin mainly calicos.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
That's why my tackle bag always has a squid catcher and a sabiki rig or two. You never know when you are going to have to make bait.

Do you know where i can pick one up from??? I liked the snaggers the deckies had. A bunch of litte ones and one big one on the bottom.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
WTG Liteliner! I haven't been up close to Clemente in a few years now. I guess everyone thought they were doing you a favor by picking up and releasing your fish for you? After all, a gentleman certainly wouldn't allow a lady to touch some, yucky, slimey, nasty ol' fish would they??? LOL!!!

A-hawg

Actually the avatar is a pic of my wife. I had my buddy holdin the fish while i was gettin my pliers and camera.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:58 AM

I'm pretty sure they sell squid rigs on the boat. I think I saw it on their galley menu. You could have asked. Just think, if there were a few others making the effort to make the bait, how much quicker it could have been. It would have been more fishing time at Clemente.

I actually didnt really care for the squid. Its already summer. The yellows like the deans this time of year. Most of the yellows hooked were on the dines.

mybada
07-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Must be bigger schools of YT.
What lbs line did you use?

Shock
07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I hear candycatchers are the way to go for snaggin the squid...

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Must be bigger schools of YT.
What lbs line did you use?

One lost on 25 and the other on 30

lakersmn
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree with you on the whole jigging for squid deal. If you pay $150 to go on an overnighter on a cattle boat bait should be in the tanks or bought at the island. The passengers should not have to be up all night jigging, if so put them on the payroll or discount the trip.

DavidE
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Do you know where i can pick one up from??? I liked the snaggers the deckies had. A bunch of litte ones and one big one on the bottom.

Any tackle store should have them. The ones like you describe are probably $7-10.

It's not the customers job to catch bait. It's more like jig if you want or stay in your bunk whatever. The thing some people don't realize is we are customers. And should be treated as such. Your level of participation is at your leisure. I'm sure not one of the crew was trippin. I've been on trips where some people don't leave the bunk to fish let alone make bait. Im not sayin no name *PE's drunk neighbor* .......

LA Smoker
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Besides the captain gave everybody a shot of this 8 berry cleansing kinda jamba juice elixir. Yummy.... And dont spit out the pulp....

Hahaha... Sounds like someone didnt really pay close attention to Tommy's Monavie presentation! ;) BTW it's 18 fruits and berries.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Hahaha... Sounds like someone didnt really pay close attention to Tommy's Monavie presentation! ;) BTW it's 18 fruits and berries.

Lol.... Thats what it was. Lol. I was actually fishing when he got to me so I was a little tied up. Hooked a fish as he was pourin me a shot. Stuff wasnt so bad... Kinda sour..... I see you have tasted it aswell then. Hey was a cool captain.

Liteliner
07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
So nobody knows if a baby whiteseabass has an inner orange mouth???? Please help clarify.....

Oz
07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Tommy i believe. Yeah those yellows pull alot harder than i remember...

yea the yellows this year are alot stronger it seems.

below are some good candy catchers u can get.
http://www.candycatchers.com
http://www.ahiusa.com

Liteliner
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Liteliner, that was a wsb. Corvina do not swim this far north. Additionally, if u remember I caught fish at night under the boast as well. In regaurds to catching bait, please chip in because it betters the experience for all.
Tight lines buddy!

Were you on the boat? Im not sure which guy you were. Refresh my memory so I can say whats up next time.

I used to catch tons of corvina from the salton sea and they look just like whiteseabass aswell. The one i caught that night had an orange inner mouth. I dont think baby wsb have that. I'll post another thread and find out.

SoCalSteve
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
www.candycatchers.com for the best squid snaggers on the market, period!

Ricky-Ray
07-17-2008, 03:21 PM
You should be able to get the squid jigs at just about any tackle store. They come in either single jigs which you can rig up and daisy chain if you want or buy them already pre-rigged. Here's one example, http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csBAIT.htm.

They are not that expensive and don't take up a whole lot of space in your tackle back. Everyone should have at least one in their tackle bag, but that's just my opinion.

Making bait has always been part of the trip. I've been on some 3/4 day trips where we catch some macks before heading over to Cat and we wind up catching yellows when nobody else can because we stopped and and made bait catching macks.

Go on multi-day long range trips, making bait is a must. The boat's don't have the capacity for that many days. AND everyone makes bait on those trips.

hung380
07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
I actually didnt really care for the squid. Its already summer. The yellows like the deans this time of year. Most of the yellows hooked were on the dines.
They would bite on the macs more if you guys had them. They didnt want anything but macs this past saturday.
150 bucks to go fishing and you have to catch bait?

Liteliner
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
certain fish get an orange "complection" if you will, from eating shrimp. baby hammerheads have a phase where they are very yellow, until they change their diet. the WSB i caught had orange throats as well. WSB!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Mines had two fangs. Im sure it was a corvina. I had to go get the pliers cause I saw it had quite a bit of teeth. Thats when the good samaritan released the fish for me.

fleaflicker
07-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Seemed liked you cared enough to try.

Capt picks up and moves and I switch over to a 1/4 oz slider and a squid. Lots more calicos and bones. Finally hook up with a yellow and this guy just schools me and unbuttons after takin out 75 yards in a matter of seconds. Hooked another one on the last spot of the day and it broke me off.

On the other hand...

In regards to catching bait, please chip in because it betters the experience for all.
Tight lines buddy!

Making bait has always been part of the trip. I've been on some 3/4 day trips where we catch some macks before heading over to Cat and we wind up catching yellows when nobody else can because we stopped and and made bait catching macks.

Go on multi-day long range trips, making bait is a must. The boat's don't have the capacity for that many days. AND everyone makes bait on those trips.

It's good to see that there are a bunch of other fishermen out there (not all quoted) that know what it is to be a part of the whole experience. How to pitch in (not $5) and actually be a part of going fishing.

Paying a fare gets you on the boat with a captain and a crew. They stoppped for dines because it was available AND they made the effort to make some squid because it can't hurt to have a tankful of candy.

So what if 5 or 7 guys were catching most of it! :Rolls Eyes: The 20-30 pieces you could have made would have been just that much quicker.

Making bait is all a part of the game. You don't just pay your money and expect everything to be served to you. Oh wait, some of you do. :Rolls Eyes:

I agree 100% with what Ricky Ray said...

Gotta go back to this, because come this fall and the big yellows are at Farnsworth, and the boat stops to make bait. If you don't pitch in (NOT $5) to make it, you're not gonna use it.

4g63power
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
damn walter lol

Liteliner
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Seemed liked you cared enough to try.

Well i did sit there and wait 3 hours of my 150 bucks worth of time i paid. Gotta get something out of it.

I never even said i had a problem with them makin the squid. Its happened on many overnight boats i have been on. I appreciate the effort. I just said it kinda sucked that we didnt get to fish the sun up bite. Or stay a bit later. I know you have to catch your own bait on multi day trips aswell.

Sorry i didnt buy a squid jig from the boat. I should have known better. Do you think they will let me take some of that squid home at the end of the day if I help catch it next time??? I dont think so buddy. They were savin it for the next trip. Sorry if i offended you though flea guy. Didnt mean to get your panties all in a bunch... : P I still wish we would have got to fish the morning bite though.

Liteliner
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
and could you post a report or something so i can bash it.... Thanks buddy...

fleaflicker
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Well i did sit there and wait 3 hours of my 150 bucks worth of time i paid. Gotta get something out of it.

You got a tank full of squid. Just think, if you helped out it may have been quicker. You hooked up on it didn't you?

I should have known better. .

Well now you know.

Do you think they will let me take some of that squid home at the end of the day if I help catch it next time???

Maybe if you help make it they'll let you.

Liteliner
07-17-2008, 06:29 PM
You got a tank full of squid. Just think, if you helped out it may have been quicker. You hooked up on it didn't you?

Well now you know.

Maybe if you help make it they'll let you.

No use talkin to ya. For somebody who has never posted a report you sure have alot to say. I dont wanna repeat myself either so im not gonna go back and tell you how I didnt have any squid rigs with me or how I already know how the squid thing goes on these trips or that its freakin july and you could probably do without the squid or how to .... wait im repeating myself. HAHA...

Like I said i dont mind the whole squid catchin thing never said i did. I just thought it sucked that we didnt get to fish the morning bite. Stop pickin at my comments. Go fish and put up a report. I dont need somebody tellin me what they think i should do. Im a nice guy so imma let you off easy. Besides this is kinda embarrasing bickerin back and forth like little girls. Next time please dont read my report actually you can read it but dont post any comments. Your annoying. Thanks.

FISHINGBEE
07-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Were you on the boat? Im not sure which guy you were. Refresh my memory so I can say whats up next time.

I used to catch tons of corvina from the salton sea and they look just like whiteseabass aswell. The one i caught that night had an orange inner mouth. I dont think baby wsb have that. I'll post another thread and find out. For those of you who do not know what a corvina and a WSB is here it goes. First of all i have caught hundreds of juevenile WSB and they usually have bars on the sides they dont have the sharp teeth the corvina has. A corvina has an orange ring on the inside of its mouth sometimes outside too. The corvina is silver. They are easy to tell apart. This fish would be considered an exotic at San Clemente. It is possible though. The Corvinas are getting abundent in the Bays esp. San Diego. They are extremely fun to catch they make faster runs then the WSB and there mouths are much thinner. If i find a picture ill try too duplicate it post it. Hope that helps

FISHNBEE