PDA

View Full Version : San Onofre Revisited

hugo c
07-14-2008, 09:59 PM
A few weeks ago my wife and I paid a visit to Trail 3 in San O State Beach. We simply took in some sun and walked the beach. I decided to surf fish this area when I had some time. This afternoon I fished the low tide. (Admittedly, the pic of the sand bass that Wingnut recently caught there sealed my plans...........)

The beach is really a surf fishing gem, since it's uncrowded. It has a pristine feel to it. It's not a swimming beach because there are 5,000,000 rocks along the shore line. (Should you fish it. As Wingnut admonished, don't try to be "Joe Cool" by fishing barefoot. The rocks will bang your feet and tatoo you with some purdy black and blues. Cover ya feet.) I lost five rigs to the rock gods, while dead sticking ghost shrimp with a 2 oz. sinker on a long (12'), light surf rod. I had planned to chill out and sand spike the rod, but the $%^& sand was so hard that it bent my spike. I wound up holding the rod for three hours, which is fine with me since this is a really light setup, which is fun to fish.

Caught leapord sharks, bsp, yellow fin croakers, guitar fish but no bass. Hmmm. I'll be back with some of my stick bait weapons and settle-up with the halis and sand bass. Note: the water gets rough near high tide. Personally, I'll fish near low tide in hopes of calm water.

A few asides: Beach access costs $10 (bummer) and if you smoke or need some gym workouts -- take it slow walking back to the lot from the beach, since it's a tad of a hike..............

Hope you enjoyed my bit of trivia. Now get back to work. The boss is coming. LOL.

A few pics.

Wingnut
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
San-O is a beautiful place. I personally only fished the place twice and enjoyed it each time. Good advice to fish it during low tide. Thanks for the report and the beautiful pics. :Thumbs Up: