PDA

View Full Version : late report 7/9 Victory

MR. J
07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
i've been reading posts on this site for years and never bothered to post. I never got to go fishing often because of school so i never posted. I graduated last month and plan on going out every week from now on if my schedule permits.

anyways, the fishing:

I couldn't post earlier, because i took a mini vacation shortly after arriving home after this fishing trip.

my first trip of the summer and of 2008 was aboard the Victory out of Pierpoint. I was originally going to go out of the Native Sun out of Berth 55 and arrived there at 5:30am. It was about 5:40am and I was putting on my boots and about to unload my stuff when i see about 8 or so guys all come back to their cars and i asked one guy what happened. what he told me was that the landing said that there were not enough guys to go out so they canceled the trip. so i thought that I could make the Victory. i sped on over to pierpoint and made it there at 5:50am. I was able to buy a ticket but had to buy a token to park under the bridge. i ran back to my car and sped on over. I made it to the boat at 6:00am and we were off around 6:10. I'm pretty sure that all of us that were at Berth 55 sped on over to Pierpoint.

anyways, now really to the fishing
there was about 44 of us on the boat today, mike was the captain, carl on deck, and ron in the galley. around sevenish, we picked up bait. i was prepping my stuff and all of a sudden i heard someone yell gaff!!. some guy was apparently playing with a blam and something struck it hard. when it was finally at the suface, it was a nice 24lb halibut. according the the guy it wasn't putting up much fight. felt like pullling a dead weight. BTW, we picked up anchovies and nice size sardines.

the plan was to head down the coast to look for some cuda but that unfortunately did not work out. it was about 8:00-30am(i forgot) and we arrived in front of huntington pier, hoping to get some sandies. we got a few sandies and it was real slow. i tried everything: dropper loop with chovie, dropper loop with sardine in hopes of a halibut, fly lining, throwing iron, plastics, and only managed a couple undersized sandies. at about 9:15-30am, mike decided that we head off to the sculpin grounds and put some fish in the sacks.

we made it there around 10, and it was some decent sculpin fishing. i managed to get my limit in one hour. some were using plastics tipped with squid but i stuck to just large pieces of squid, which produced me nice sized sculpin. at about 11:30, mike decided to head for the horseshoe, and maybe catch some calicos and barracuda.

we arrived at the horseshoe at 1:00pm. it was nothing wide open but it was a steady pick on the bass with some barracuda around. at first i tried throwing iron. i was throwing a purple 544 jig and caught 3 short cuda. when i saw that the bass bite started to pick up i went to plastics. i caught lots of shorts and 3 barely legals on the plastics and in the last thrity minutes of the trip i decided to try something different. i started to flyline sardines and proceeded to catch decent sized calicos. people were having success fly lining chovies and sardines or throwing plastics. the steady pick on the bass was enough to make my day. I ended up with limits of sculpin and 5 bass. pretty good fishing at the end of the day but horrible fishing in the morning.

i think the boat ended up with 90 calicos(and also lots of shorts), 15 sandies, 21 barracuda, and about 170 sculpin.
not great fishing but it was ok. if only the calico bite was like that the whole day, then maybe we would have limited out on the calicos.

i plan on doing this again on wednesday, most likely again on the victory. i'm really not sure yet, i'll have to see what's going on between now and then.

here's a pic of one of my calicos, taken with my camera phone:

one_leg
07-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Great report. Congrats on getting out on the salt. It is really great out there.

THNX,

O_L

troutkiller562
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
thanks for the info bro....... go SC LOL....

Ambassadorhawg
07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Fishing has really been hit or miss in that area this year. Also, lots of small bass when they do bite. What ever happened to the good ol' days when the Sand bass consistantly with suicidal intentions?

A-hawg out...

MR. J
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Great report. Congrats on getting out on the salt. It is really great out there.

THNX,

O_L

thanks. its just about all i do: salt.

thanks for the info bro....... go SC LOL....

those condoms almost swept us in major sports this year: football and split the series in basketball..our sport. nothin but respect for the trojans

Fishing has really been hit or miss in that area this year. Also, lots of small bass when they do bite. What ever happened to the good ol' days when the Sand bass consistantly with suicidal intentions?

A-hawg out...

i remember when the bass would hit anything you throw. wasn't that maybe half a decade or more ago?

Ricky-Ray
07-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Cool, Thanks for the report.

JapanRon
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Mr. J,

Great detail and read ..... thanks. Hope to see you on the Vic Wednesday. I went yesterday and it was pretty good. Report to follow later today.

JapanRon