PDA

View Full Version : Glacier national park brookies

chansen49
07-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I took a road trip with a buddy and some kids up to Glacier national park. It is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I have been to Montana before and seen its beauty but NOTHING I mean NOTHING holds a candle to Glacier. We camped for 3 nights at the two medicine campgrounds. OMG, the view was insane, the water was clear and cold.. REAL cold. We camped in spot #5 which luckily is probably the best spot there for fishing. It was the end of a lake that flowed into a river that went right in front of us then into another smaller lake again right in front of us, only to continue into a river with some water falls. We came up with a new word..... It has got to be the best term ever. We all have to use it..

"trouty"

You look over out of the truck at the prettiest stream/river meandering through a canyon with trees surrounding, with rocks, eddies etc. and you say to your buddy " DUDE, that looks SOO trouty.."

Anyways, the first morning, we woke up sore from the drive.. 1450 miles.. Got camp kinda dialed in paid the ranger, set up some tackle and went to the camp store and bought some crawlers. I setup the usual sliding sinker, red bead, swivel, then a 4lb leader with berkley vanish on a small owner treble. Slow retrieve.. BAM, fish jumped in the air and I farmed him. He caught me off gaurd. Not again.. Same cast, new worm, same spot, slow retrieve bam, fought the little guy.. Hard fighter ... Beautiful brookie. red belly, white fins, blue halos around the spots.. Absolutely gorgeous, dang hes gut hooked, oh well, dinner.. Next fish same deal, then a nice rainbow.. Then after that most any fish caught that could be released was.. We ate 5 I think the 3 days.. All in all.. I wish I would have brought my waders, I tried flyfishing for the first time.. 20 mph winds are kinda tough though.. Caught the prettiest fish ever, my buddy hooked his biggest rainbow.. It looked to be a post spawn as it was long and skinny.

Awesome time, I cant wait to go back next year.. The glacier will be completely gone by next year, its melting so rapidly.

Ill get some pics later..

Chris

slief
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Chris,
I was wondering how that trip went. I posted in your thread when you were looking for info on Glacier but I guess I must have just missed you.

Glad you caught some nice fish. Glacier is a tough place to get into a good bite since it is so well traveled. Also glad you got to try your hand at flyfishing. There are times in MT that the only way to catch lots of fish is with a fly. Though the wind does not help learning the ropes. Glacier is like no other place! Did you guys take the trip to the top of Going to the sun road?

Thanks for the report! Any pics?

chansen49
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
The going to the sun road is Awsome... We went from West glacier to East Glacier, I have pics but they are on my laptop.Ill get em here soon.. I cant wait to go back next year!!

Chris

Here are some pics.

The brookies tasted SOOO good.

Wingnut
07-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Very nice! :cool: Do Brookies tastes like any other Trout? The only Trout I've ever eaten are Rainbows.

chansen49
07-18-2008, 02:50 AM
I didnt do a back to back but they were really good. Au Natural..

Chris

tacklejunkie
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Beautiful fish man! :cool:

sansou
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Sounds like you guys had one heck of a trip! Beautiful scenery and fish! Montana is definately on my list of "places to get snagged" !

Thanks for sharing.

steve092
07-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Awesome report!

Those brookies are beautiful.