PDA

View Full Version : good boat bad crew

basscatcher
07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
hey everyone close friend of our just cam e back on a 1.5 day on the relentless out of San diego. he had six albacore and when it came time to fish cleaning they could only find five. when they returned to the dock he was waiting for his fish and they gave him only a small bag of fillets. which bearly added up to one fish.not only him but a couple of people who didn't get the amount of fish they caught. the captain offered to give him back his money for the fish cleaning but that's not the point. in these days its expensive to go on trips like these and then to be riped off. to all who go on this boat pay attention to what the deck hands do.

God Bless

basscatcher

troutkiller562
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
thanks for the heads up......

Troutman65
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
If they would of pulled some lame stunt like that on me. OMG.

Did another passenger take the fish?

One should really watch their catch. Its a shame this happened to someone.

TM65

Funjunkie74
07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm not defending the boat....
But, were you fishing in Mexican waters? Do you know?
If so, your daily limit on Albacores is 5 fish. So if you had 6, then the 6th one is not legally yours...sorta...they should tell you that you're over your limit. The MIA thing is shady!

Then your fillets only amounting up to barely 1 tuna...I would have opened the bag, laid the pieces out and counted. Sometimes a filleted fish will seem a lot smaller. Just to be sure. If it still didn't add up, then talk to the landing since the Capt. obviously is ignorant of the situation.

What's the worst they can do? Ban you from the boat that you plan on never getting on again??

FJ74

herekittykitty
07-11-2008, 07:23 AM
I have had this happen to me one time.

I went out on a local half day out to the oil rigs to fish some sculpin. Ended up hooking a 10 lb cabezon. At the end of the trip we had our fish filleted out and were told that if we wanted to go out on the second half day it was half price.

Since we didnt limit out and the fishing was starting to pick up we decided to stay for the second half, the deckhand who we had got to know was way chill and we asked him if we could store our fish in the galley and put them on ice. He asked the cook and the cook had no issues with it.

At the end of our second trip we get the fish cleaned and the deckhand went to the galley and got our other fish, when I was looking through it I noticed that the cabezon fillets were gone. I brought this up to the deckhand so we went back to the galley to see if he missed it, came back and told me that he didnt see it down there. After scratching our heads for a bit he went back down and came back out with my fillets. Come to find out I guess the cook has a fond taste for cabezon and stuffed it down in the ice away from the other bags. I was not happy about it and have not been on that boat since.

fish4keep
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
DAM that's low.... Stealling fish from your customers???

If it's just one bag, NO way in hell does that equal to 5 albies. Unless the bag is as big as a trash bag? I could understand for the 6th albie but still the deck/crew should've ask for it.

JapanRon
07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi basscatcher,

I've had two, full-day, open-part tuna trips from SD and both were productive for me but ......... I'll never go again due to 1) deck-crew attitude, 2) Money gouging (pay for your bunk ??), 3) alpha-dog/moron patrons (majority), and 4) my dislike of the screaming, yelling, and chest-thumping that seems to attract SOME patrons of the one-day, open party boats and that type of fishing. I know our gentle readers are NOT in this catagory so I can vent. If you're reading this .... you ain't one of the above .... more than likely ! ha ha ha

Granted .... you(r buddy edited) were on a charter and multi-day so it was a bit more civilized I imagine (or at least a little lower-key) but saying that .... the dishonesty of the crew just adds insult to injury.

My understanding of a standard tuna filet is to basically quarter the fish. That is ... 2 filets per side and the belly goes away unless you ask (and you should) for them !!

I didn't realize the Mexican limit was 5 fish for a 1.5 day trip??? I thought you bought a permit for the number of days fishing (2 days in this case) and that was multiplied by 5 fish .... er .... tuna. It's not like the permits are that expensive !!

I guess once the fish goes in the slammer ..... you're at the mercy of the crew !! Yikes !!!

JapanRon

Troutman65
07-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Pay for your bunk?

Could you please explain that one in a little more detail JR ?

TM65

basscatcher
07-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Pay for your bunk?

Could you please explain that one in a little more detail JR ?

TM65

yea boats now are making fisherman pay for a bunk tax

JapanRon
07-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi again troutman65,

Couple of years (actually 5 or 6) ago I went to one of the Big-3 landings with a buddy (have a report waaaaaay back) to do a 10pm to 10pm Albacore open-party trip. Had reservations and buddy even pre-paid.

We knew what the trip costs so that was a no brainer and paid/got our tickets at the office for our ride. Right before we're ready to go down the ramp to the boat, we're asked by a lady sitting at a table with a cashbox if we want a bunk. Huh ... well yaaaa and respond in kind. Well, it's $5 for the bunk! Buddy and I just laughed and figured if it's SD's landings.... you're gonna need to learn to bend over !! I asked if there were bunk numbers (she didn't get I was making a half-joke- idiot) and she said 'oh nooo just go ahead.'

Uhhhhhh No bunk number ..... how does anybody know we have a legit bunk or not !?! What a scam. She was for real as she had a name tag with the landings name on it!! It didn't look like the boat was overbooked as there were maybe 10~15 slots open on a 60+ foot boat! Nothing said in boat description that bunks were extra ... nowhere !!

Glad you asked ...... I didn't put this in the original report and SHOULD HAVE !!

Oh yes ..... that trip was the one where........ when we came back from the trip 4 or 5 little box vans with sushi shop logos on them were waiting with their back doors open and ice-chests at the ready !! I expected some of the guys to sstart yelling Irashaii !!, Irashaiimase, Anata no Sakana wo Takaku Kaiimasu! yo~ !! What a joke .... you know the landings were hooked up with those guys !!! They had their parking right in front of the ramps !! ha ha ha ha

With that experience, I said 'That's enough ...... Already !!' No more of my money .... or good will !! Now, I can just laugh about it !!

JapanRon

Swivel
07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
"Oh yes ..... that trip was the one where........ when we came back from the trip 4 or 5 little box vans with sushi shop logos on them were waiting with their back doors open and ice-chests at the ready !! I expected some of the guys to sstart yelling Irashaii !!, Irashaiimase, Anata no Sakana wo Takaku Kaiimasu! yo~ !! What a joke .... you know the landings were hooked up with those guys !!! They had their parking right in front of the ramps !! ha ha ha ha"
Freakin hilarious!

sweetfish
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
My understanding of a standard tuna filet is to basically quarter the fish. That is ... 2 filets per side and the belly goes away unless you ask (and you should) for them !!

JapanRon

JapanRon you are correct on the filetting of tuna. I worked at a fish market and would have to fillet tuna sometimes. Basically you make a cut from head to tail cutting down the bloodline to seperate the shoulder loin and belly fillet and makes it easier to fillet. If it is a 20lb. tuna, the fillets should weigh roughly 7 to 8 lbs. So therefore, this guy should have gotten 20 fillets from his 5 albacores. I would estimate at the average size of the fish being 6 to 8 lbs., he would have a yield of 14 to 18 lbs of fillets.

Billy Bass
07-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up, BC. I'm surprised this happened on th Relentless. I guess we need to keep the tuna in our pockets or hide them in our bunks. :ROFL:

supasportkid
07-11-2008, 05:57 PM
dam that sucks!! They forget that alotta fisherman take these type of events into consideration when planning trips. Atleast i know i do. thanks 4 the heads up

sansou
07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the fiasco, and thank you for reporting. Iwill add that there is a lot to be said about researching the quality of the boat your going on, PRIOR to shelling out your +/- $300 for a 1.5 dayer... I don't have an opinion about this particular boat, as I haven't been on her in a long long time.

bruce watson
07-11-2008, 09:33 PM
When I get on a boat, anything added to the published price of the trip, such as bunk or fuel surcharge, is deducted from the tip.

basscatcher
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up, BC. I'm surprised this happened on th Relentless. I guess we need to keep the tuna in our pockets or hide them in our bunks. :ROFL:

they probably make us pay a fish hiding tax

pineapple express
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
BC
i hate it when that happens. it's happened to me & my buddies a couple times.
those deckies should be paying attention when their cleaning our fish as we the paying customer should not be subjected to worrying about if we're getting all of our fish/catch. especially if we've paid for fish cleaning & tipped these guys. we've notified the captain every time when this happened. on one occasion the captain wanted to give us frozen fillets from a previous trip to make up for our missing fillets. it's not the same but atleast accomodating kinda of... sorry it happened to you. when everything is getting so expensive to enjoy our sport we all love... it would be nice to not have to worry about our catch being miss numbered or end up missing when you get back to the docks...
PE

deanhall32
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I have been on the Relentless 3 times and consider it my favorite boat. Joel Ralston is absolutely the coolest captain you will ever find on a boat. I'm sorry about the guy losing his fish but don't let that one bad situation create a black flag for the boat.

basscatcher
07-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I have been on the Relentless 3 times and consider it my favorite boat. Joel Ralston is absolutely the coolest captain you will ever find on a boat. I'm sorry about the guy losing his fish but don't let that one bad situation create a black flag for the boat.

we know joel personally he is a great captian and the boat is a great boat but it is a shame that the deckhands aren't good.

Hate2Fish
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Pay for filthy blankets and bedding?

Thanks for the heads up. From now on will have the fish gutted and I'll take the damned thing home.

basscatcher
07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
yea the boats charge for everything bunks, fish cleaning, fuel, and other dumb things