PDA

View Full Version : Surf Q???

familyguy15
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Fairly new to this surf fishing. What type of Kroc spoon is adequate and how do you fish it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Fisherman57
07-10-2008, 06:01 PM
I've had some very good success fishing Kroc's in the surf and Im still learning about them each and every time I go out.... they are a GREAT lure for the surf........ but keep in mind a few of these things...

Make sure you always attach and fish them with a high quality swivel. I believe most of them now come with a swivel attached.

I like using a simple chrome (nickle) Kroc on bright sunny days, which is what we usually have here in So. Cal...... but I find myself using the green and or the blue "mackeral" patterns most of the time and have had good success with those two specific color patterns.

The most important thing to remember when choosing a pattern for the surf is to match the food source of the area you are fishing in as close as you possibly can.

Try NOT to work the spoon in a simple straight line and at one constant speed when you retrieve your lure. Instead...... twitch your rod tip every few seconds..... and speed up and then slow down your retrieve, variance is key.

Don't be afraid to stop your lure dead in the water and then start it up again...... reel fast for a few seconds and then slow down. The more variety of speed and action you give to the lure, the more strikes you're gonna get!

Use as light of line as possible...... if you find that fish are following your Kroc, but just wont strike, that may be a sign that your line is too visable and that you need to switch to a smaller diameter line.

When I cast a spoon I start reeling as soon as the lure reaches the bottom (line goes slack)...

Remember..... the bigger and heavier the spoon, the less power you can give to your cast when using light line.... as it will just snap the lure off...... so the key is, use the lighest line possible that will hold up to your casting of the lure size.

And lastly........ add some scent. (I prefer UniButter or Pro-Cure's "Calico Cocktail")

Good luck out there...... hope this helped.

fish_sauce
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
thats a pretty informative reply dana! ;)

my favorite kroc to use on the surf is the 3/8oz with 8 or 10lb test. The pattern varies on the day/location/conditions like dana mentioned...the 3/8oz is a decent average size for most surf fish that you would want to target, although i must point out that i haven't had much luck landing legal sized halibut on it....but i'm sure there's plenty of others who have!

a good way to see how fast you should be cranking your reel is to test the krocs out in a swimming pool, as different reels have different retrieve rate. As with most spoons, your presentation should look like a fleeing bait-fish that has an undulating body movement/kick to it...

on a little side note, the surf zone is oftentimes very unforgiving to the kroc's outter finish...i generally give mine a few coats of clear protectant/sealant/lacquer (with the swivel and split ring temporarily removed of course) to prolong its original patterns/designs....

if you use the pro cure's calico cocktail, don't be afraid to smear some on your rod guides...they double as a great lubricant for your line :)

Fisherman57
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
on a little side note, the surf zone is oftentimes very unforgiving to the kroc's outter finish...i generally give mine a few coats of clear protectant/sealant/lacquer (with the swivel and split ring temporarily removed of course) to prolong its original patterns/designs....

This is a great tip.

Wingnut
07-10-2008, 08:54 PM
I have the best luck with the 5/8 Green-Mack Krocodile. Catches anything from Barred Surf Perch, Yellow Fin Croaker and Halibut. Work them slow, dragging & bouncing it just off the bottom and let it flutter in neutral in the back draft. Very effective lure, if presented properly. ;)

And yes, smear your scent of choice on everything.

Good luck out there. :cool: