PDA

View Full Version : Going to June lake loop this sat. ....need sugestions!!

Team_Strike
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
My husband and I are going up to June lake this Sat. Been going up to June lake for ever but never tried fly fishing and we want to give it a shot. Do you have any advice or sugestions on tequniqe, tackle, location?

trout worm
07-10-2008, 01:20 PM
best advice is to hire a guide. they will have the equipment, and likely get you on some fish... they will likely give you a short lesson on casting so you don't get all tangled up.

there a a few in the area.... you can check any of the local fly/fishing shops. the trout fly in mammoth, sierra drifters come to mind.... i think brocks in bishop, wilderness outfitters in mammoth....

that way, you don't have to invest in all the hardware right away.... and i think some of them might have a 1/2 day beginners package....

i took my son on one... i flyfish but the guide gave me some pointers that really helped and he spent some time giving my son the basics.... it was a very good afternoon on the water....

stickboy
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Double Eagle Resort and Spa in the June Lake Loop has it all. Instructor, all necessary tackle and equipment, a private lake, and even fish (2-7lb alpers). You dont need a license but its catch and release only. Great place for beginners and its all inclusive for only $60.
Hope this helps!

mcfly
07-10-2008, 07:04 PM
usually do best w/ small midges. maybe set up a size 18 caddis with a 22 midge dropper. if you head to the owens river i did well with a olive wooly and also w/ a san juan worm.

Badfish2
07-11-2008, 01:12 AM
My husband and I are going up to June lake this Sat. Been going up to June lake for ever but never tried fly fishing and we want to give it a shot. Do you have any advice or sugestions on tequniqe, tackle, location?

Dig through the recent reports or search June Lake.. June Lake Loop.. I'e posted up at least 5 pages worth of June Lake loop stuff...

when in doubt, visit "the trout fly" in mammoth near McDonalds, dudes in there will hook you up on fly fishing the region and do a good job doing it. When I fly fish the sierras, I stick with Olive Wooley buggers with bead heads, or Black Gnat with red tails

Team_Strike
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you to all, will do! Wish us luck and Ill give you a report when we return!

dockboy
07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Definitely hit up the Trout Fly. Excellent shop. Know several of the guides there. Everyone there is friendly, and will have no problem setting you up. IMO, SIlver and Gull are the best lakes in the loop for fishing. June is good if you have the patience and persistence to to fish for the bigger fish there. Rush Creek is also excellent. Good luck and have a good trip.

Fearless
07-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Just got back from a 5 day trip there. Silver and Gull are the best.Silver lake has plenty of 12 to 15 inch trout all over the place. Gull has larger ones, the bite is on early morning and late at about 6pm