PDA

View Full Version : Newport Pier, Wedge, NPH Dock - 5/22 afternoon

madhatter
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
My friend Kayla called me up around noon and we decided we needed to take advantage of my day off and go fishing.

We got to the Newport Pier at around 2:00. The water wasn't red, but there were some patches of red foam floating around the pier. The tide was high and we we sure today was going to be a great day of fishing.

Wrong!

The only fish we saw was a pretty big SNGF tied to a rope hanging from the pier. Quite a few people hoisted the monster up to take a photo with it. I'd say leave it alone if it's in the water and not yours, but... what do I know? My friend Kayla called me over as a huge black cloud came right by our lines in the water. It looked like a manatee (lol) or a small whale. It ended up being a MONSTER sea lion. It startled us both, and it just looked up at us as it floated on by. Maybe it wasn't having good luck either. Fished there for 2 hours for nothing, so we decided to move to The Wedge.

The surf was kinda strong and disgusting foam seemed to border the rocks on the surf side. I'm kinda a chicken when it comes to deep ocean water so I refused to press on further onto the rocks. I always read about people getting swept away there, and my friend managed to wet her line a little, but for nothing. So, we moved to our favorite little public dock.

There were only two other parties fishing on it: a man and his son, and a younger guy who I think posts on this board. He looked familiar. We tossed everything in my tackle box and I did manage a couple bites, but farmed them quickly. Didn't see anyone catch anything except for the young boy, who was using a spool of fishing line, tossing it out with a baited hook, and catching small perch like crazy. That goes to show you that you don't need fancy equipment to catch fish! So, we ended the day with a big fat :skunk: , but it was a GREAT day off and I'm hoping we can get back soon!

phish
05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
It happens and I am sure you'll get them next time. there was wicked red tide in Seal today...tried fishing it...looked like ice tea.

ish...

Troutman65
05-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Sorry for the skunk

Great report. Thanks for the post