PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 85 2-Day Trip May 19-21

valhalla_1_2000
05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I posted this trip in the rendezvous section about 3 weeks ago, but unfortunately there were no takers from FNN. Anyhow, there were only 13 anglers on the trip and the fishing was ridiculous. Captain Frank Ursitti decided to head out to San Nicolas Island both days to explore uncharted rockfish territory . . . Anyhow, the attached photos are courtesy of Paul Lebowitz, a highly accomplished angler and journalist who writes for outdoorscribe.com and is the kayak fishing writer for Western Outdoor News.

sansou
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Very very nice looking fish!

I wish I could have joined you on this trip.....but work is kickin' my butt these days (you know how it goes!!)

Cool pics and very colorful lings!

valhalla_1_2000
05-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Rich, it definitely would have been fun if you could have made the trip. I even caught a few fat Calicos tossing plastics around the kelpline at San Nic. It kind of reminded me of Mission Beach Jetty. Next time for sure.

cappo
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Awesome report
Those halibuts are freakin huge :shock:
Nice camo on the lings too

jplee3
05-23-2007, 07:10 AM
sweet! thanks for the report! i've heard nothing but good reports about the ranger 85. i'm starting to have the itch to go now!

KaliDawgFan
05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Nice fish!!!

kanco
05-23-2007, 07:47 AM
I thought San Nicolas island was off limits to fishing vessels? Isn't there an off limit perimeter around the whole island?

Where does the ranger boat dock?

How much $ was the 2 day trip?

Does he usually go to Nicolas isl?

EricU
05-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Fantastic report and pictures!

Everything over there is much bigger than locally it appears.

...I have the same questions as Kanco...

kanco
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I found this site that has information on the island:

http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnnov99/snick11.html

valhalla_1_2000
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Kanco and EricU: After the Captain informed us his plan was to hit San Nicolas for both days, I immediately asked him about whether or not the Navy would run us out, because I have experienced that before on other boats. His response was just like, "I don't think we'll have any problems, but we'll see what happens." The first day, we didn't get any static from the Navy, nor did we see any Naval vessels. The funniest part was that on the first night, Captain Frank tied up the Ranger to a large orange bouy that said "PROPERTY OF THE U.S. NAVY KEEP AWAY" I asked one of the crew members about this, and he just said "what's the worst they can do, make us untie the boat and move?" Anyhow, again, no problem, we were tied up all night to the bouy. The second day, we saw one small Naval Vessel that got pretty close to us, but again, no problems. By the way, we didn't see any other boats during our 2 days at San Nic.

valhalla_1_2000
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Forgot to answer your other questions: (1) price of the 2 day trip was $275 which included food; (2) the Ranger 85 fishes out of Channel Islands Sportfishing in the Spring and Fall. However, it's leaving in 2 weeks for H & M Landing in San Diego where it spends the summer doing 1 1/2 day trips for tuna and other pelagics.

jplee3
05-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Forgot to answer your other questions: (1) price of the 2 day trip was $275 which included food; (2) the Ranger 85 fishes out of Channel Islands Sportfishing in the Spring and Fall. However, it's leaving in 2 weeks for H & M Landing in San Diego where it spends the summer doing 1 1/2 day trips for tuna and other pelagics.

That's a really decent price! Man... I'm looking at their site now and the prices look wayyy higher for upcoming 2-day trips.

kanco
05-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info and great report.

Here is another site with more info on the island:
http://diver.net/seahunt/islands/d_inic.htm

EricU
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
valhalla_1_2000,

Thanks for the details. Wish I didn't see what could have been landed if I went on that trip.

The captain obviously knows how to deal with fishing around that area and was willing to take the risk...good gamble.

valhalla_1_2000
05-23-2007, 09:20 AM
By the way, I didn't post any pictures of the whitefish we caught out there, but those things are on steroids at San Nic. I've never experienced that grade of whitefish, we caught many between 6-10 pounds. They were almost as much of a nuisance as the goats, which were also ridiculously larger than you catch at most of the other Channel Islands.

EricU
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Post those too!

Giant fish are great to get the crowd going!

Sea Murda
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
I thought San Nicolas island was off limits to fishing vessels? Isn't there an off limit perimeter around the whole island?

:rofl: how about another question! :rofl:

Good job out there valhalla! Those are some NICE fish dude!!!

kanco
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Looks like I need to purchase an extra portable gas tank so that I can take my boat out there. I only have an 105gal tank on boat so i don't think I can make it there and back :)

Thanks again for the post!

kanco
05-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Yes one more questions: Did I ask too many questions? :)

Sea Murda
05-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Yes one more questions: Did I ask too many questions? :)

:lol: just messing with ya dude!

Oz
05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
thats awsome trip i see lots of butts and lings and more. congrats on ya days fishing.

dschmaltz
05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
It's truely amazing how great fishing can get when all the boat pressure is removed.

Great pics and report; I'd love to leave my boat at home for a trip like this.

Ambassadorhawg
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Frank and his crew are awesome! Always a good time fishing with them.

I will be on the 2 1/2 day trip which fishes Weds & Thurs June 20, 21 aboard the Ranger 85. Anyone else going???

I sure hope that some kind of offshore bite develops by then!!!

olfishergal
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Awesome

Webfoot
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Limited load, really nice fish, and a bargain at 275 bucks, it doesen't get much better than that. Thanks for the great report and pics.

SanDimasLMB
05-23-2007, 10:33 PM
nice job on all the fishs :thumb:

Troutman65
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Awesome pics.

Glad you posted report.

I saw your post about the trip but No $$$ to go.

I likes the sheepshead . Nasty teeth on them.

Those Halibuts are great.

Thanks again for post

ahhvtec
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Man those are some giant butts!