PDA

View Full Version : Fshing in the LBC...72nd Jetty

shy_boxer
07-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I wanted to beat the heat so I hit the salt today. I haven't jetty fished in a while so I decided to hit up the 72nd street jetty.

Arrived around 11ish and started fishing the beach side first. Threw out the LC metallic sardine for no love. Busted out the dropshot rod and threw out some tiny flukes. Tap tap....set the hook and bingo I am on....nice little 7" halibut Ok... punked the skunk atleast...let it back into the sea. Moved to the jetty and started casting the LC for nada. Threw out the fluke and wham I get hit again. This time a little bigger butt. Nice 14" halibut. Let her back into the sea and called it a day. Sorry, no pics but you all know what small halibut looks like.

P.S. Had a little time so I decided to fish BCSB for an hour. Caught another shorty on the fluke. No love on the LC's today.

Troutman65
07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
:cool:

Thanks for the report S_B.

TM65

BupkAngler
07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Goo job out there S_B, im sure that LC will be getting you a legal hali soon.

Efekt
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
tm mang... thursday after noon... when i come out of class lets go hit something up... me and bupk gonna go somewhere...

shy_boxer
07-10-2008, 04:59 AM
TM65 - Thanks for the reply....I need to hit up the vine soon and visit you. I am itching to catch some cat feesh.

Bupkangler and Efekt......if you roll out on Thursday give me a holler.....I may just come and wet a line before work.

Troutman65
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
tm mang... thursday after noon... when i come out of class lets go hit something up... me and bupk gonna go somewhere...

Efekt, long time to see on FNN. How is ZzzaNag? I think his screen name is spelled something like that. It sure has been a long time. I work at Irvine Lake now bro. I will be working this afternoon and night. We should wet a line together sometime soon.

TM65

bsp
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Good Job out there, but I thought access to 72nd was closed at 9am-5pm from June 15 to September 15? Guess that sign and those cops were wrong. Your post is great news, for me anyway, because it means that I can actually go fishing when I want to.

fish_sauce
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Good Job out there, but I thought access to 72nd was closed at 9am-5pm from June 15 to September 15? Guess that sign and those cops were wrong. Your post is great news, for me anyway, because it means that I can actually go fishing when I want to.

hey bsp

if you're talking about Bayshore, then yeah. only Bayshore is closed from 9AMto5PM. I think it's to help maintain traffic safety to the beach goers who crowd that small stretch of beach this time of year...if you drive a little further north to Santa Ana Ave. or Glendora Ave. you could still access Ocean Blv...just make a right, and then a U turn, and drive all the way down!

I was in that area earlier this week. the beach front is loaded with debris/trash. The water's covered with floating trash bags...every other cast produced a snagged bag...ended up spending about an hour picking up the larger debris and putting them in the trash cans while i waited for the tide to come in...decided to move to the jetty and landed two short hali's on the crankbait...no love on the plastics... i read a sign on the way back from the city that informed visitors that the beaches are going to be unsightly during the grunion run periods because of DFG's regulations on beach cleaning equipment....

thanks for the report, shy_boxer.

here are some of the pics i took if you guys are interested...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Picture050.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Picture042.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Picture046.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Picture047.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/quandary01/Picture049.jpg

bsp
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah.... needles and bare feet don't mix. Thanks for the warning and I will fish a few of my other spots from now on.

shy_boxer
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
bsp - I got into the area by going straight down on Cherry then turning left on Ocean. There were quite a few anglers there when I got there. But most of them started to leave as I was coming on to the beach.

Fishsauce - Thanks for the heads up on the needles...damn I was walking barefoot in the surf.(*note to self* wear booties and waders ) When I was there the trash wasn't too bad.....but I didn't move around too much either. Please spread the word...."pick up yo trash"! We need to save our environment.

bsp
07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
s_b: If the trash is not too bad by the water then I guess I will give it a shot. I just do not want to be wading and see some junkie's used needle float by or see it in my foot. Surf shoes should stop a needle.

fish_sauce
07-12-2008, 01:18 AM
it really depends on what time you're there. if you're there at high tide, then the trash and debris is hardly noticeable...if you're there at minus low tide then they're everywhere---the whole beach front appears to be made out of photo-degraded Styrofoam and plastic!

i forgot to mention that trash and debris weren't the only things i ran into. i was working the surf zone with the crank bait and TWICE i snagged onto floating remains of a SNGF...that someone had apparently chopped off the torso and threw back the upper head part...two separate fish, but discarded in the same manner. The rotten smell and the sight of decaying flesh grossed the hell out of me...and i was in waders! could you imagine someone swimming along and bumping into something like that?

I wonder when people are gonna learn that they're not doing the beach a favor by throwing back the fish waste...:( the larger matter drifts along with the current until some scavenger large enough comes along and makes a meal out of them...otherwise they just linger and rot slowly while the crabs feed on them---meanwhile they foul up the water, adding to the bacterial boom that ultimately kills other marine life...

Efekt
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Efekt, long time to see on FNN. How is ZzzaNag? I think his screen name is spelled something like that. It sure has been a long time. I work at Irvine Lake now bro. I will be working this afternoon and night. We should wet a line together sometime soon.

TM65

lol whats up tm65.. yeah long time i think since like last legends LOL... yeah zzang doing good just doesnt come on as much cuz fishies has been hard 2 catch for us lately lol.. but yeah hopefully well make it out 2 legends again this year....