PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Mem. Day Wknd!!!

FishTaco21
05-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't have a report yet but I am going up to the Sierras (Mammoth) area for the long Memorial Day Weekend!!!!

I know the lakes and everything else in sight will be full of fisherman, but what are some possible creeks to fish around the June Lake area? Any info would be helpful as we want to try to avoid some crowds.

- Are any spinnerbaits such as Panther Martins, Rooster Tails, Lip Ripperz Z Spoons (I am going to try my free one =) this trip) working for anyone?
- Any luck on nightcrawlers, PB, or salmon eggs?

I am going fishing with my brothers and we will be staying up in Mammoth, hit up June Lake Loop, maybe fish one of the lakes for a half day and try to fish from shore or on the creeks the rest of the time. We will also make our way down to Bishop, Lone Pine, and Independence and those local creeks as well.

Does anyone have any tips for us?

Troutman65
05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Try Rush creek in the Lune loop . Crowds on a holiday weeend ?

Say, first holiday weekend of summer? Good luck. Be sure to do a report when you get back.

reelhigh
05-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Grant, Gull, Silver, and June are the 4 lakes up there on the loop. There are also 2 creeks, Rush and Reverse. Any of the baits you mentioned could work if the time and area are right.

Joshua
05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
. We will also make our way down to Bishop, Lone Pine, and Independence and those local creeks as well.

Does anyone have any tips for us?
If you make it to Bishop creek, I can help. I will camping at Creekside RV park. I will be in the tent campsite on left as you drive in. I am in a Silver FOrd Windstar. I will have a Raiders hat on. I will coming in on Thursday and leaving Sunday. I will be all over the place, If you see a Silver WIndstar (2002) it is me, I will be with my 16 yo nephew. He has surfer hippy hair (Jeff Spacoli)

FishTaco21
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I will be on the lookout for the Raider gear and the Windstar...

My brothers and I will probably be the ones there sporting 49ers or Broncos gear. So if we drive by and see you as one of those crazy Raider fans we are definitely not stopping... haha.

FishTaco21
05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I will be on the lookout for the Raider gear and the Windstar...

My brothers and I will probably be the ones there sporting 49ers or Broncos gear. So if we drive by and see you as one of those crazy Raider fans we are definitely not stopping... haha.

Joshua
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM

Just take a close look, I will be the one with the big fish :lol:

FishTaco21
05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Has anyone ever hiked to Agnew or Gem Lakes? I looked on google maps and seen that this is really close to Silver Lake in the June Lake Loop. Does anyone have a rough time frme on how long it would take to hike there? What kind of trout are in there?

mammothfishin
05-23-2007, 01:52 PM
It's about two miles to Agnew and two and a half to Gem. You gain about 1500 feet in elevation getting to Agnew and about 2000 going to Gem. I guess time depends on how good of shape you're in. I would say an hour an a half at most if you're in descent shape. Bring a lunch, some water, sunscreen and a tall boy for the lake. Have fun. There's nothing better than backcountry fishing.

They should both be thawed by now but I'd ask someone at the Silver Lake Resort to be sure unless you just want to go for a walk.

gwjones00
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I posted a rather long winded reply in another thread about the June Lake Loop at http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=1934

I've been going up to the loop since 1963, so needless to say, it's one of my favorites. The only problem with the June Lake Loop is that whenever I go up there, I try to figure out how I can stay up there... (sigh...)

By the way - while you are in Mammoth, you might also want to try the Owens River at Benton Crossing. You can fish downstream from the bridge. Upstream is a Wild Trout habitat, so only artificials with barbless hooks.

Finally - as far as Agnew and Gem Lakes - tak off early. There is no shade on the slog up to Agnew, so it can get *awfully* hot. Make sure to park in the lot across from the Silver Lake store instead of the Pack Station and save yourself a little walking.

Have fun!

FishTaco21
05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I am counting down the minutes as I am here bored at work. I wish the clock would move faster... Once it hits 3 o'clock pm I am outta here and on my way up to the Sierras.

I hope to have some great times up there but also hope I am not bumping elbows with people since it is Memorial Day Weekend.

I hope to post a nice little report of my long adventure.

JUST CAN'T WAIT TO FISH THE LAKES, RIVERS, AND CREEKS!!!