PDA

View Full Version : No Victory at sea today...

Ambassadorhawg
07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
FISHING SUCKED TODAY!!! What else can I say? That about sums it up.

OK, now for the boring details...

Hopped aboard the Victory this morning with a buddy in hope of some Sand Bass or Garrr action. Not to be had today. We must have looked at at least a dozen spots of fish and reefs. The fish just didn't want to play. The weather was great in the morning up until about early afternoon when a solid 15+ knot wind picked up.

Started off on the Flats in around 60'. Some sign of new Sand Bass schools moving in but not ready to go yet. No boils on chum either. Water temp was around 66. Ended up on the Horseshoe.

I scratched up 2 keeper Calicos, one on plastic and the other on iron. I also lost what would have easily been the jackpot and only Barracuda on the boat of the day if the deckhand would have gotten up and hustled with the gaff. Oh well... the jackpot ended up being a fat Sculpin. I also got 2 Chrome Bass and a short Flattie. My buddy did about the same. 97.95122% of the anglers didn't catch a thing.

The only excitement today was a 20 pound class BSB that absolutely worked a girl over on light tackle for about 15 minutes.

Next time... I am going to redeem myself.

The boat was understaffed today. There was 38 anglers and only one deckhand. WTF???

The Captain did issue half-off passes for a future trip, though and that was nice. He said that the whole fleet struggled today.

A-hawg out!

chris
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
bummer it was starting to slow yesterday. hopefully they pop back up

k3vin_kim
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
ouch.

well you know how it goes Mike. I'm just sorry you had to drive all the way down here to get it with no vasaline.

Can't win 'em all the time...

Did you check for any banana's?

troutdog
07-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear about the slow day, sure beats the skunk though. Tough break on the cuda and slow handed gaff. Cool gesture on the part of the Capt handing out some discount passes.

TD

JapanRon
07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi ambassadorhawg,

Dang .... hated to hear of a poor fishy day !! I'm assuming the bait was decent !! I guess Carl was the deck today ! Mike the usual pinhead-to-become-deckhand went over the side the other day at the bait receiver and may not have recovered as yet. Or ......

Often deck Jorge will be on the boat helping out too but I guess it was a no go for both today. As I have my gar gaffed, I call for gaff pretty early (first color) when I see that nobody has a hot fish ready and just not calling for gaff. I don't bounch 8lb cuda with my custom 9', semi-semi-parabolic, SW bass rods !! ha ha ha

The Victory is pretty generous on the passes when it comes to marginal catching days.

Better luck next time, Maybe we'll fish together again soon !!

JapanRon

rusty6
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
bummer about the fishing, next time you go out, shoot me a pm, i need to get my salt gear out of the garage sometime this summer.

Ricky-Ray
07-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Sorry to hear about the slow day. Thanks for the honest report.

Ambassadorhawg
07-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Nope, K3vin, no bananas on the boat!

JapanRon, not sure of who the deckhand was but it was obvious that he did not know that boat very well. The captain's name was Mike, I believe and he get's an "A" for his efforts. I hooked the Garrr on a plastic on my plastics light S/W action rod. Not strong enough to bounce even a "legal" Garrr but the more I think of it, I should have just handlined the fish over the rail! Also, there was no gaff forward of the bait tank!!! Otherwise, my buddy could have stuck the fish.

Russell, I replied to your post about "BBFNN/NBU" where I mentioned that I would be fishing on Tuesday. Didn't you see my reply???

rusty6
07-09-2008, 09:28 AM
oh yeah haha, i forgot to ever check that for any replies...people were pming me so i assumed that meant they weren't replying to the post