PDA

View Full Version : newport fishing.

samgann93
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
i am going to newport beach for 8 days starting on saturday. i will be fishing the harbor, the pier, maybe a little surf fishing also. i am the biggest newbie when it comes to fishing the harbor and surf fishing. lol.

i would really like to catch a halibut. i heard the wedge jetty is a good place and i heard that the harbor has some nice hali's. so my first question is really what to do and where to go to catch some hali's????
also any tips for newport fishing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
S/G

sonarbp
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Hey s/g....newport has been hot for halis the past few weeks. I would try the harbor first....the beach is really crowed now because it is so hot. If you want a few of us are planning to fish the harbor sat afternoon or sun morning from float tube. I have an extra tube if you think you might want to give it a try.

It might be your best bet for fish if you don't have a boat!!!!

sonarbp

bsp
07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=samgann93;211541]
i would really like to catch a halibut. i heard the wedge jetty is a good place and i heard that the harbor has some nice hali's. so my first question is really what to do and where to go to catch some hali's????
also any tips for newport fishing would be greatly appreciated.
/QUOTE]

Swimbaits(3in and 4in Big Hammers in Bay Smelt), jerkbaits (Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 in Aurora Black)), and the drop shot rig (Basstrix Flashtrix in Smelt) are all good choices for halibut. Stop by Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos (it is a drive, but worth it) for the best advice and they will have everything you need. Public docks are good places to fish in Newport, and they generally will give you a shot at catching some decent fish. Soaking ghost shrimp will get you fish if you are desperate, but they will probably not be halibut. As for surf locations, any jetty will usually hold at least one or two flat fish. Good Luck!

samgann93
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
thanks guys.

sonarbp:
hey i would love to go out but its a family vacation so sorry.
im stuck with them. just kidding.

where are the public docks???

sonarbp
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
The public docks around the harbor are the ones that have the pilings with the blue tops.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000196-2.jpg

I found this pic of a public dock from a post from FNN member Airn33. See the blue tops I am talking about? Every dock in Newport that has that blue top is a "PUBLIC" dock....you must have a valid license to fish from them.

sonarbp

herekittykitty
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
if you are looking to catch halis in the harbor I would suggest trying M street dock. It is the last public dock before you get to the wedge. I as well as others I know have had very good success on Halis there.

herekittykitty
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM
The public docks around the harbor are the ones that have the pilings with the blue tops.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll3/Airn33/Fishing%20Pics/S5000196-2.jpg

I found this pic of a public dock from a post from FNN member Airn33. See the blue tops I am talking about? Every dock in Newport that has that blue top is a "PUBLIC" dock....you must have a valid license to fish from them.

sonarbp

I believe that is the dock on the balboa island side, the background looks really familiar. If I am not mistaken it appears to be the dock closest to the ferrie

samgann93
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
thanks guys. i appreciate all the info.