PDA

View Full Version : Pismo beach bsp's GOIN OFF

buck liggett
07-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Well got to PB got set up etc. Took the youngsters on the beach at low tide
shell searching. Found an area about 20 yds wide where there was a massive sand crab hatch. It was cool for the kids to see, They would step on the sand & it would just start moving like it was alive, which it was with all the baby sand crabs. So found landmark & said I'll be fishing here when the tide comes up. Sure enough went out on incoming tide & hooked up on Our first casts. We caught & released loads & got bit on every cast. Only kept one for the kids to eat, seeing as how I'm loaded down with fish from a previous boat trip & The BSP'S are dumping babys. Lots of dinks average is about hand size
& biggest was about 10 inches all are fun though.

Sorry no pics forgot My cable for camera. So theres lots af bait fish out in the water & theres been a recent grunion run & this is the time of year that the hali's start moving in, been reports of lots being caught down santa maria way. Anybody have any advice on baits,tides etc for the surf butts in the Pismo area. Been coming here since I was a little boy, but never fished for the halibut in the surf.
Thanks
Buck

buck liggett
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Ok figured out the surf butts Myself C&R'D & found My camera cord too.
Look what else I found in the surf.

City Dad
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Nice. In the picture, are you in that place behind the slough, south of the pier?

Fisherman57
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Good job on getting the kids on some fish!

Pismo is a great area to fish..... did you guys eat that smoothound?

buck liggett
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
City dad,
Yes it's called pismo coast village, We go every year for summer vacation
for a couple weeks. We have trailor there so makes it nic. Been going to pismo since I was about 3 years old.

Dana,
Yeah pismo is a great place especially for familys, lots of space for the youngsters to spread out & well be youngsters & dads get to fish...lol
Did not eat the hound yet, but I fillet'd it & it's in the fridge. I know alot of guys smoke'em I've always just cuts into chunks battered & fried. Have any suggestions?

Fisherman57
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I've caught a few but always CPR'd them..... was out one day and my buddy said I should keep one..... I didnt, but Ive had a couple people tell me they were tasty... I was just curious as to how you thought it tasted.

Let us know!

City Dad
07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
We just got back from the Sea Venture. Stayed in the little beach house over there by the slough. Had a couple of really nice evenings for perch and some macs and smelt off the pier.

Also came back with nearly a dozen perfect, unblemished sand dollars.

A great time. We're already making plans for next year. I'd love to get my kids onto a shark (what'd you use?)

buck liggett
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Dana,
They are tasty I've eaten them several times, but everything fried is good...lol

City dad,
Those smelt You were catching? Cut them then go out to the end of the pier
You probably already know, but use a steel leader & take a pier gaff. Their doing really good right now on the pier with a couple sand sharks showing as well, in the day time too. This one hit a white swimbait in about 3 ft of water on low tide. I was fishing for hali's. We've caught great numbers at night off Avila pier on smelt & mackeral.

Used to get a good thresher run when the mackeral would run through, but have'nt seen that in years, but the dogfishes are plentiful.

buck liggett
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
It was a first for Me, I was kinda stunned.I was actually trying for some halis
I'm leaving tom. As it's opening weekend of deer season, but I'll be back on sunday - wed. If anybody wants to fish?

fish_sauce
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
thanks for the report!

now i know for certain theres more to look for up there other than bsp and halibut ;)