PDA

View Full Version : Drifting in the fog!! CIH 6/7

TroutChaser
07-07-2008, 08:51 AM
What up FNN,

I dont post to many Saltwater reports because we usually dont do so well..lol
Actually we do OK but nothing really to speak of. I'm no Red Drum or Wingnut for that matter!!
Been a couple weeks since we took the 15 foot Smoker' in the Salt so we decided to launch around 6:00 from Channel Islands Harbor. We were hoping to run to the islands today. Yes, we do that from time to time.. Yes it's an aluminum boat!!!But the fog was just way to thick. Rather than risk the handheld GPS in fog we decided to hang by the shoreline where we couldnt get lost. It was damn thick at times. Headed outside the harbor towards the Flatts for drifting...After a couplehours and moves..I found the drift.
We drifted starting at 90' and would drift till about 60' and reset. During this time we got lots of hits in 75 feet of water?? We farmed alot.. We were fishing live bait with barrel weights 3/4 to 1ounce.
We ended up with 2 legals both released but missed many more..
So my questions are...

what is your "go to rig" for drifting?
Anchovies/dines/macs? Whats best??
We set the clickers and put the poles in the holders when they sounded we let them run before engaging/setting but still got many shortbites? Do you guys ever use stingerhooks? Do they damage the bait more?
any advice would be helpful

ps. pics wont post again....
Chaser

JapanRon
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi TroutChaser,

Great little post !! Appreciated. Don't get that much CI stuff be in off or in-shore !! Standard dropper loop or even reverse dropper-loop system ought to be good !! But I've no PB experience ...... just float-tube and yak !!

JapanRon

fish4keep
07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
If you're getting alot of short bites, yes it would be good to use a stinger/trap hook. It does kill your bait faster but since you're drifting it wouldn't matter much since the bait is still moving...

Brian_GSC
07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
In a slow or finicky bite I like to use stingers, but they do kill your bait faster. In a perfect world I tie up my rigs the night before. Since I never know what size the bait will be I run the main line through the eye of a mosquito hook, then snell it above the trap hook with a separate piece of mono --being careful not to make the snell too tight---that way I can slide the mosquito hook up or down to adjust for the size of the bait. If I have to tie when I'm on the water I usually tie a palomar to a mosquito hook and leave a long tag and tie the trap hook to that.

Depeding on depth/current I will either fish a carolina rig, or a reverse-dropper loop.

one_leg
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Matt, I'm glad you decided not to make that trip in your tin can.

What was the # test rating of the line you were using?

Have you tried the Boa Trap Rig?
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w270/one_leg_photos/100287trap_rig.jpg