PDA

View Full Version : Zuma MUSSEL POWER!!!

City Dad
07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
My off time today was right about low-tide so I decided to check out some new water. I started at Sunset and PCH with the intent of fishing the rockes there. After losing a dozen rounds with the salad I headed down the beach... to connect with more salad.

Went back to the rocks, collected a few mussles and headed up the coast. Lots of people out. Ended up at Zuma among the throngs. Plenty of crabs around so I dug up a few nice ones. Fished the crabs for about a half an hour for nada.

Decided to switch it up and cracked open the mussels. I guess those fish get tired of nothing but hard, crusty crabs all day long because they climed all over the first nice, juicy chunk of pure shellfish meat I threw at them... and they inhaled the one after that, and then the one after that, and the one after that, and... well, you get the idea. Only a handful of casts went un-touched.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG2724.jpg
This one was representative of most. Also caught two smaller walleyes.

If you ever get a chance, check out a Bill Varney seminar, or maybe his book. It was he who explained to me how fish can sometimes show prefference for mussles or other bait over even the richest crab beds. Thanks, Bill!

one_leg
07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks CD, your perch looks like it was laughing?

fishshep
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
That is a very good observation and point of info.
To make ,because it is so true!!!
"Dockweiler is a good case in point!!
I have seen so many sand crabs in certain areas
so packed out, they just crawl and or roll
around when the waves roll in!!!
Those fish must be O.D.ed on them crabs!!!

Fisherman57
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Good job Tim!

Sometimes we get comfortable and end up getting a little TOO focused on one particular bait.... and THAT can be a big mistake!

I remember the seminar we did with BV ..... and he was sure to include some MUSSELL with everyone's bait package and it proved itself as a great bait that day as well.

Nice going out there, keep them BSP pics coming! ;)

Dana

Wingnut
07-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Nice job Tim! Thanks for the custom flies that you gave me buddy, I had pretty good success with them today. ;) :Envious:

tacklejunkie
07-06-2008, 11:01 PM
It's all about the mussel "lip"!
Outfishes the GCSW even. Nothing beats fresh fat malibu mussels for surf bait!

boxl0bster
07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
hey good job citydad! i too have been giving the mussels a try and they have been working out for me pretty well when the crabs arent cutting it. thanks for the report. :)

crappie stalker
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Very good info.. Thanks for the report and good catches..
CS