PDA

View Full Version : Boating Question...

GeordyBass
07-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Is my 13' Boston Whaler Catalina island capable?LOL...i just needed to ask....
:cool:

BIGRED KILLA
07-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I have been to catalina many times i just went today lol the weather can be nice going out but on the way back it can change you might be able to make it out there but why risk your life just for wide open yellows and over grown white seabass lol jk.I would not do it it will take to long and not safe if the weather turns crappy out there.lol just tell somebody thats going out there on a big boat and see if you can tie a rope to there rig and yours just like a Tony Rays Trip.If you do go bring VHF ch 16,Flares,life jackets,miror 4 the planes lol etc and make sure you now how to get there and if you come back alive with yellows you will be a true hard core crazy angler.lol

Bigred

hung380
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Is my 13' Boston Whaler Catalina island capable?LOL...i just needed to ask....
:cool:

Yes it can make it depending on weather conditions. The NOAA can be wrong most of the times so dont count on them. If you do decide to go, go early and come back early because the wind usually picks up around 2-4pm. Invest into a SPOT GPS and it'll be a wise investment. Good Luck

Jig-Guy
07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
NO! (I would Not) I have been to Catalina lots of times in my 17' deep-v runabout, covered bow with windshield and a 115 hp engine. Smooth water 40+ miles per hour, when rough plow most of the way home in afternoon. Need to have plenty of fuel. You can get gas in Avalon I think been a long time since I took my own boat over there. Most trips stayed all night and ran home before noon. What was written above me is correct also. Do you have a compus or GPS on your boat, and have it set up so you know how to get some where in the fog? Fished the Wall and kelp beds in a 12' for years and that was kind of scary and wet comming home in the afternoon.

Good luck,

Gig-Guy

Fish Dog
07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Like Jig-Guy said. I have (key word have - past tense) gone to Catalina in my 19 foot Bayrunner but I've decided it wasn't worth it any more. You could probably make it over ok as its usually pretty flat in the morning but coming back is another matter. I have never gone over there where I didn't get my butt beat on the trip back. The wind comes up in the afternoon and its really something coming back in a 19 footer. I have serious doubts that anything smaller, especially an opened bow 13 foot whaler would make it. I've had times that I've had the bilge pump running almost the whole trip back as we were taking on that much water over the bow. I think, for me, the last straw was on the last trip out there I said we were going to leave at 11 AM so we could beat the wind coming back. Guess when the wind came up that day...11 AM! I know there is the potential to do better out there catching fish then there is local but, in my case, I've never done any better at Catalina then I have local. The ocean is nothing to mess with, stay local until you have a bigger boat.

karlow
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM
13'
That's why I have a 20' Skippy.
I would not go the the Shoe, or the flats in your boat.
It's OK in the moring, but you will get drown like a rat and beat to death tring to get home!
A 13' boat is good for Butts, bugs, bays, and lakes!
For lakes a 14', or 15' whaler would be best (they get nasty when the wind blows)
So great it will not sink! I will not be so great after it's swamped, or maybe upside down and floating in the middle of the channel.

Just my thoughts. It might be Ok right?
I't not the size of the boat that matters it's the size of your balls, right!
Just ask your self two questions,how well do they float, and how well do they swim?

KP