PDA

View Full Version : June Lake Loop - Silver Lake.. Need Info??

Fearless
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
HEading out to Silver Lake ( June Lake Loop ) on July 8th - 13th. Going with a bunch of friends etc. Any info on places or Baits people have used or know of anything that just kills the rainbows up there would be very helpful. I will be posting many pictures when I return. I have a few questions regarding weather etc.

Whats the weather like?
Do peeps mostly use spinners up there or does Power Bait work as well?
Anyone know of a HOT SPOT at Silver Lake?????

thanks for any advice etc

rusty6
07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
probably gunna have a chance of isolated thunderstorms everyday up there...the fish are shallow in the morning and evening...i got some stripping a woolie bugger in the morning but during the day they are deep, 20-40 feet...powerbait/worm combo slowly drifted around looked like the ticket...there are a lot of fish surface feeding on the cicada hatch going on right now but they are really only interested in cicadas, i threw every fly i owned at them for nada

rusty6
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
i was also getting a ton of browns from 4-16" in the creek on caddis and hopper flies...crickets might be a good idea actaully now that i think about it, might entice some of the big fish hitting the surface on the lakes...and the browns in the creek.

Fearless
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
probably gunna have a chance of isolated thunderstorms everyday up there...the fish are shallow in the morning and evening...i got some stripping a woolie bugger in the morning but during the day they are deep, 20-40 feet...powerbait/worm combo slowly drifted around looked like the ticket...there are a lot of fish surface feeding on the cicada hatch going on right now but they are really only interested in cicadas, i threw every fly i owned at them for nada

we are renting a boat for 3 days so what do u think? Should we stay deep?

rusty6
07-02-2008, 09:42 PM
they were staying deep in june and gull last week when i was up there...i'd say its a good bet, but the best thing would be to ask the guys who work the tackle shop up there. this is was they told me: "If you are fishing the lake: stay deep. if you are fishing the creek: pray." most likely the creek will be fished out from the 4th so my guess would be to stick to the lake and more than likely to stay deep. when i was out kayaking on june, i got 1 trolling a bouyant shallow, and while doing that, i saw some people catch about 12-15 drifting a worm/powerbait about 20 feet down. i dont know how silver was going, but it cant be that much different from june and gull.

MAN VS WILD
07-02-2008, 09:45 PM
2lb line a must if you wants lots of hits. Half a night crawler dipped in some roe and just drift around the lake. Get to a spot and don't anchor and turn the motor off. That's what worked for us at Silver and Gull.
Good Luck

Fearless
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
2lb line a must if you wants lots of hits. Half a night crawler dipped in some roe and just drift around the lake. Get to a spot and don't anchor and turn the motor off. That's what worked for us at Silver and Gull.
Good Luck

Dipped in ROE??? whats that

JIMMY JAM
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
If I could only take one lure with me, it would be a Thomas Buoyant 1/6oz Red/Gold - hands down. I would also recomend 2 lb test for your reels. The lakes are very clear.

Badfish2
07-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Check out www.noaa.gov Type in June Lake and read their weather report.. it's where 99% of all weather stations,websites,news channels get their info from. Happy fishing

Badfish2
07-03-2008, 03:40 AM
If I could only take one lure with me, it would be a Thomas Buoyant 1/6oz Red/Gold - hands down. I would also recomend 2 lb test for your reels. The lakes are very clear.

Agreed, thomas bouyants are the best lure for the sierra by far. If you can find the tear drop shapped one ...get that one. They sell it at Sports Chalet. It weighs just as much as the bigger 1/6th ounce but is half the size.

Badfish2
07-03-2008, 03:41 AM
we are renting a boat for 3 days so what do u think? Should we stay deep?

Fish Gull Lake at the rock..cast out far.. let your lure sink...reel slow. You'll get hit.. I promise it.

Thomas Bouyant.. Red Gold

Rapala CD 4 - 9 in Fire Tiger or Blue color will also get you hooked up

Power Bait in Salmon Egg or Pink with Garlic Spray by Bang is money

Rubble
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
For weather Reports,etc.....try this;

http://www.395.com/

MAN VS WILD
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Dipped in ROE??? whats that

Here is a website with the pic of it. It's the bottle in the middle. this stuff works for me where ever I go.
http://www.troutlet.com/Berkley-PowerBait-Trout-Dip-P155.aspx

Fearless
07-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys... should I buy one of those little nets that hook on my pants. I have a large one but ya know

Fearless
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I have never ever fished w fly's.... do they work good up in Silver Lake and how do u use them.. Thanks

billy b
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
right. Everyone has been saying that's the best color combo. Several say the old style works better but you can't find them.

The "tear drop" style I believe is the classic old spoon shape.

MAN VS WILD
07-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys... should I buy one of those little nets that hook on my pants. I have a large one but ya know

that's all you need. nothing too big

chris
07-04-2008, 08:21 AM
just got back and there was a ton of perch shallow which made fishing trout there difficult cause the perch were aggresive. lots of trout deep at gull being caught on power bait of all things soaked on the botton we saw several alpers to 8 pounds fall to bait and waiters while we kicked our asses off for stockers on all types of spinners and spoons and plastic /water bobber combo and i threw olive and black crystal buggers with the bead head on type 4 sinking line. there was fish everywhere we went

Dean Wormer
07-05-2008, 02:12 AM

Very sage advice there grasshopper.....

These are the two main things I tell folks headed up there, and I would also add, to echo "Man vs Wild's" post, drift the crawler, drift the crawler, drift the crawler.....and do it with NO weight.

And I've never heard of the "dip in roe" technique but I like it!....actually, dippin' it anything attractant-wise, I don't think can hurt the proceedings.

Good luck there Fearless and enjoy....

billy b
07-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Just curious. I've heard the red & gold TB is the best. Have you ever tried the red & gold rapala .... and if you like the blue rapala, have you ever tried the blue TBuoy?

Just curious.

Also wondered what you think (and anybody else) about the different garlic scents. Have you tried other garlics and found the Bang to be the best?

Badfish2
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM

Just curious. I've heard the red & gold TB is the best. Have you ever tried the red & gold rapala .... and if you like the blue rapala, have you ever tried the blue TBuoy?

Just curious.

Also wondered what you think (and anybody else) about the different garlic scents. Have you tried other garlics and found the Bang to be the best?

I haven't found a gold/red Rapala but i have had luck with the brown trout pattern and white rapalas.

As far as the blue Thomas Bouyant, I do use them, but mostly the tear drop shaped one. For some reason they lay off the blue pattern on in the full size. But it does work, especially in very clear water that is still. Up at virginia lakes they wouldn't leave the blue one alone.

I use bang because it sprays on and covers evenly and it's scent is very very strong without masking the color of the lures/bait I'm using. Berkley dips and sauces are goopy and mask the colors a little bit. They do work good too though, just about any garlic scent works great but Bang sprays just seem to be handy, cover well and have the strongest smell. I also spray the line with it, about 2 feet above the lure and or bait. Seems to help.

billy b
07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.rapala.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=original_floater&freshorsalt=Both&live=1
THANKS for the GREAT info

One thing for sure, is that the BANG is a clean method

achan618
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I was up at June Lake over the 4th of July. I fished Gull Lake on Friday and Saturday. I would say the bite was hit and miss. I fished from shore Friday morning, and the perch would take the nightcrawlers along with some crawdads. I caught 5 perch and 7 crawdads. However, I was going for the trout. So I hopped on the boat in the afternoon on Friday. The power bait (chunky cheese w/ garlic) got "0" bites. I remember reading it worked for others. However, that was not the case with me. The inflated nightcrawler did the trick though. My wife and I caught 8 rainbow trout. We must have found a school as we caught all of them in about an hour in a half. Two of them had the pink meat, which was great. A couple of these were in the 3 pound range. On Saturday, we decided to go back to Gull Lake in the afternoon. We didn't get one bite on either the power bait or nightcrawlers. Actually I only saw a couple boats bring up trout while we were out there Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking the 4th of July party in the marina and the kids swinging from the ropes to dive into the lake spooked the fish. Good Luck to those heading up there. The reports leading up to this trip helped a lot, so I thought I would return the favor and help.

Fearless
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok everyone the Escalade is packed up and Im on my way out in the morning. I will be postiing lots of pictures, wish me luck and thanks for the help everyone