PDA

View Full Version : Catalina 5/19

dschmaltz
05-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Did a quick Catalina run Saturday AM with 2 boats. A friend of mine repowered a 1985 Bayliner with a Honda 90 and this was his first Catalina run. His boat ran like a champ and the water was perfectly flat over and back; it doesn't get much better than that.
http://calmetro.com/fishing/alvin_flat.JPG
http://calmetro.com/fishing/alvin_1.JPG
http://calmetro.com/fishing/alvin_2.JPG

The fishing seemed a little slower than it has been but we made the most of it. I have a trolling motor which is priceless when targeting Calico's. The result was a bunch of these:
http://calmetro.com/fishing/May_catcal.JPG

My friend could only anchor and was able to get some small Calico's, as many Blue Perch as you wanted on strips of squid and these:
http://calmetro.com/fishing/alvin_sheep.JPG

It was a perfect day for a boat ride and a great quick trip. We saw lots of birds on the way home and water in 64-65 range 12-15 miles out. It looks like summer fishing will be here soon!!

ahhvtec
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Nice work! Man I love that 85 Bayliner. I used to have one just like it.

Duc

gnfshn
05-22-2007, 03:12 PM
damn that water is like glass, thanks for the report.

EricU
05-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Great way to christen the boat...by catching fish!

Hear if any yellows were landed out there?

Thank you for the report and pictures.

ahhvtec
05-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Thank you for the report and pictures.We went out on Friday and it just sucked, fishing is better here right now. LOL

EricU
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Duc.

You probably saved everyone gas $$$ to find out themselves.

dschmaltz
05-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Thank you for the report and pictures.We went out on Friday and it just sucked, fishing is better here right now. LOL

Yes, fishing was the slowest I have ever had at Catalina, but it was still worth the trip. I have never had to fish the walls to get a Calico bite but that is what I did Saturday.

We saw one monster WSB at the launch ramp; I hear that it was large enough to make the local paper.

If you look at the water temps now, warm water is pushing around the Island; go for a ride if you can!

EricU
05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Yes, fishing was the slowest I have ever had at Catalina, but it was still worth the trip. I have never had to fish the walls to get a Calico bite but that is what I did Saturday.

We saw one monster WSB at the launch ramp; I hear that it was large enough to make the local paper.

If you look at the water temps now, warm water is pushing around the Island; go for a ride if you can!

Thank you for the dope on The Rock, wait that is Alcatraz...you know what I mean.

SanDimasLMB
05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
nice sheepshead, good job :thumb: Sheepshead sashimi is bomb

DavidE
05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Nice report. Honda 90 huh?? Thanks!!!

acor23
05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
nice boat and pics, did you get that ruler or it come with the boat?

JapanRon
05-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi dschmaltz,

Good job guys .... haven't had a report from you in a whle!!

JapanRon

kanco
05-24-2007, 08:14 AM
nice boat and pics, did you get that ruler or it come with the boat?

You can get those rulers free for DFG.

Good job on the catch of the day guys. I like the honda's they run smooth!

dschmaltz
05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I like the honda's they run smooth!

I have had two Yamaha four strokes in a row and I would opt for a Honda in a minute. When buying a new boat off a lot, Honda does not seem to have the distribution. You are lucky to have found a Striper with a Honda.

dschmaltz
05-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi dschmaltz,

Good job guys .... haven't had a report from you in a whle!!

JapanRon

I have been out there doing my thing on the water and enjoying it; I just don't have the posting skills that you do. I have decided that I need to get better at fishing so I am targeting Calico this year and have winter fished them probably 15-20 times in the past few months. I have learned some and have had many 20-40 fish days on plastics only; you should be proud of me using plastic techniqes. I am going to stick with Calico for the rest of this summer unless the exotics come. Then I only have about 900,000 different types of fish to learn more about. I guess that is why we will never get tired of saltwater.

Actually, it was great to see my friend get his boat wet. He is not very mechanical so I did him a favor and rewired all of the switches and lights so that I knew it would be safe. Now he just needs to use it.

I did set up a public website to post pictures on and I am trying to remember my camera when I go so I will be better about posting???(maybe)

Just don't make me post to your standards; I only speak english but sometimes when I write letters I swear that it is my second language.

ahhvtec
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
[

If you look at the water temps now, warm water is pushing around the Island; go for a ride if you can!Guess I will just have to give it another shot!

Does your friend's boat have any water problems as in getting his feet wet at times? I had the same boat and always had problems with a wet floor till I caulked everything in the splash well. Nice motor btw.

Duc

dschmaltz
05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Does your friend's boat have any water problems as in getting his feet wet at times? I had the same boat and always had problems with a wet floor till I caulked everything in the splash well. Nice motor btw.

Duc

Yeh it did, he only used it a couple of times last year due to the junk motor on it. He has now put a board across the transom and sealed everything so we will see how it does. What year is the one that you have now?