PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Laguna Beach...no pics

murrieta angler
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Got some good news and some bad news and some more good news....

Good News, went to Laguna Beach 6-27 thru 6-29. Had reservations for my wife and I at the Montage Resort, 16th wedding anniversary. Place was fantastic! Better than Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Bad news, 1st time since I was 12 years old ( 30 years ) that I tried to surf fish. I remember why I do not do it more often. SKUNKED!!! All 3 days. Water was like a greens salad without the dressing. While I was fishing on Sunday morning there was a guy fishing also, totally rigged out from head to foot. He said that the conditions were just poor and even he was only pulling in some very small perch. He was using, and i quote; "a Carolina hook system?!?" Using sand crabs for bait.
I did not have much with me in terms of lures and such and I was using my sons fresh water rod and reel. I was primarily using LC Flash Minnow 110's in blue and white.

The other good news, while I was being skunked at the surf, decided to try hitting some of the man made rock formations directly in front of the hotel.
I shoulda started there first. I was pulling in sand bass after sand bass, a couple 16-18 inches. So all-in-all not a bad weekend in terms of "fishing".

Sorry, my wife forgot to charge the camera before we left, so no pictures.

OH YEAH, my wife does fish also. I am one of the lucky ones.

megafisher94
07-01-2008, 04:48 PM
a "carolina hook system"???? its more like a carolina RIG and its tied like this...

- take a 1/4 - 3/8 oz. egg sinker and slide it up you line

- take a barrel swivel and attach it to the end of you line

- take 18 - 25in. of 4lb florocarbon leader line and tie it to the other end of the swivel

- take your hook (i use a #6 owner mosquito hook) tie it on and your good

as for bait mussel, plastic grubs, Gulp! camo sandworms, and sand crabs are all good bait, good luck

bonestock
07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
i drove out to some beaches between laguna and corona del mar and they were all salad infested so i didnt even try. went to a close by bar with my buddy instead

Fisherman57
07-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the post and more importantly....... CONGRATULATIONS on the 16 years!

Lot's of factors why you may be getting skunked...... as there are lots of things to consider such as area fished, tides, baits, tackle and presentation......... DO NOT FRET! YOU'LL GET EM!

Google "Carolina Rig" and you'll find tons of info and pics...... and here's a thread that may help ya with some basics.....

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

chris
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
that's way cool you found fish during your anniversary congrat's on both