PDA

View Full Version : newport harbor late report june 21st

CPRfisher
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
First off sorry for the late report have been very busy
Anyway fished the plastic navy tourney on June 21st. It started at 7am and ended at 1pm. There were 124 competitors. Most were in kayacks 3 people in float tubes me being one of them. My strategy was to hit the shadows up on the water real good with plastics. By shadows i mean moored boats, pilings, docks, anywhere where there is shad. It was a very hot and sunny day. I started off by the docks and got two real good ones right away put them in the live well and kept fishing while waiting for a weigh boat to come by. Got a couple more that were dinks had to throw them back (12inch minimum size to count) then i headed out towards the boats as the morning went on. got a few here and there, finaly found a weigh boat and weighed in 4 fish. back to fishing and the bite got slow except for a few dinks here and there. time was winding down and around noon i got my last keeper and took off to find the weigh boat. around 12:50 finally paddled down to the weigh boat and got that guy weighed. Then it was a long journey back to the car. All in all i did ok i tied for 31st place. I was one the lucky people to turn in a limit but most of my fish were only running around 13-15 inches with 2 in the 17 inch range. I had just under 6 lbs for my limit. It took a little over 13lbs to win the event. The guy who got 13 must be really good because the person in 2nd place i believe had around 7 - 8 lbs for his limit.

This was my first time fishing an event like this. It was pretty fun but alot harder for us tubers than for the yakers. mainly because of the difficultness of finding a weight boat. I wasted an hour of fishing time paddleing to the weigh boat.

As far as the bite it was pretty good i think they said at this event they had the most people ever to weigh in fish. I personally caught close to 20 fish with only 5 being large enough to be weighed. My buddy that went with me on his tube caught around 10 - 15 fish with all of them being too small to be weighed in. He did get a nice legal hali but wrong fish for this tourney :)

Did anyone else fish it from here?

CPR

sorry no pics too busy fishn

amskater
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
thanks for the report sounds like a good time

jbacsaf
07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Great job from the tube! I just got a yak and wanted to join that tourney but had other obligations. That's a good tourney for tubers to join because I think they let launch from anywhere. Anyway, way to compete!

calico killer kevin
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm probably gonna get a kayak soon and was wondering where I could get info on the next few plastic navy events. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

BTW 13 POUNDS! That is some sick fishing.

jbacsaf
07-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm probably gonna get a kayak soon and was wondering where I could get info on the next few plastic navy events. If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated.

BTW 13 POUNDS! That is some sick fishing.

Go to plasticnavy.com and check out the 2008 tournament trail. The next one is on Aug. 16 in Dana Point, so you still have time.

sonarbp
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Go to plasticnavy.com and check out the 2008 tournament trail. The next one is on Aug. 16 in Dana Point, so you still have time.

The next plasticnavy tournament got moved to mission bay in san diego. Dana point will not let them hold the event there.

"On a sadder note we’re forced to change the location for the August tournament. Orange County’s requirements for us to hold another event there exceed what we consider reasonable bounds and prohibit us from holding a tournament on their lands. Dana Pt is one of my favorite launches and some of my best calico fishing days are there so this bums me out, personally.

We’ve arranged to have the August 16th event moved to Mission Bay. It’s a repeat location just like how we hit Newport twice last year. More information coming soon…stay tuned!"

BTW I fished the Newport tourney from my tube and compaired to other tournaments the plastic navy is not very organized! Plus they loss some of the weigh sheets so the standings for last tournament are incorrect!!!!

A few of us here on the FNN board are trying to get a tournament series together if any of you are interested.

sonarbp

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-02-2008, 11:31 AM
nice work...I may be interested in these events sometime soon..
Gotta see some pics next time..

Congrats...

I'll be out there hunting me some toads this saturday....
I'll be in a rental.....maybe I'll see ya there..
Gary