PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the RENO-TAHOE AREA

Levianth
07-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey guys and gals!

I will be in the Tahoe/Reno area this July 4th weekend. I will be on tour with my band and I want to take some time to drop a line. Any good ideas on where to go? I from down south and need some direction? Any help is appreciated? :D

mth1997
07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Tahoe itself has always been tough from shore for me.

If you are willing to take a little drive to the south, I like Caples Lake. Regularly stocked and as beautiful as it gets. Silver Lake in the same direction is cool too. Its a great drive through the forest to get there too.

The Truckee River is great, but it has special regs. in certain parts, so be sure to check on those.

There are several lakes and rivers/streams north of Tahoe and west of Reno that should be easy to access from Reno. A good map should point you in the right direction.

My best advice: check out a sporting goods store up there to get the dilly on hot spots. I forget the name of this store, but its on the south end of the lake just before the 89 turns south out of the Tahoe area. The guys there were very helpful and open with info.

Good luck!

Levianth
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Tahoe itself has always been tough from shore for me.

If you are willing to take a little drive to the south, I like Caples Lake. Regularly stocked and as beautiful as it gets. Silver Lake in the same direction is cool too. Its a great drive through the forest to get there too.

The Truckee River is great, but it has special regs. in certain parts, so be sure to check on those.

There are several lakes and rivers/streams north of Tahoe and west of Reno that should be easy to access from Reno. A good map should point you in the right direction.

My best advice: check out a sporting goods store up there to get the dilly on hot spots. I forget the name of this store, but its on the south end of the lake just before the 89 turns south out of the Tahoe area. The guys there were very helpful and open with info.

Good luck!

Thanks a million, I have fished the truckee river...maybe Ill check that out...kind of depends on the agenda.

Granny Fish
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey guys and gals!

I will be in the Tahoe/Reno area this July 4th weekend. I will be on tour with my band and I want to take some time to drop a line. Any good ideas on where to go? I from down south and need some direction? Any help is appreciated? :D

We go up to Reno from time to time to see out grandson. The best place we have found to fish out there so far is Frenchman's Lake.

http://www.dillardguidedfishing.com/images/frenchmans.pdf

Levianth
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
hey thanks for the info granny fish...Im new to the board but long time reader.

How far north of reno is this place? Drive time?

Granny Fish
07-01-2008, 06:56 PM
According to Mapquest, it is 31 miles from Reno to Chilcoot, which is the turn off into Frenchman's. It's always been very productive for us. We fished left of the dam and another spot on the North end of the lake. I've heard that people do really good near the launch ramp as well. We caught hold over trout & bullheads. There may be pike in the lake, although they have tried to irradicate the lake of those.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Reno&1s=NV&2c=Chilcoot&2s=CA

sky
07-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Donner Lake and Fallen Leaf Lake will be a zoo so avoid them.

Boca Reservoir - Prosser Creek and Stampede are pretty close to Tahoe Lake. Of the three I would go to Stampede reservoir though it is the furtherest away from tahoe. It has lots of trees for shade, and shoreline access to fish from.

Directions to Boca: From the town of Truckee, take Interstate 80 east six-and-a-half miles to the town of Boca. Exit on Boca-Hirshdale Road. Take Stampede Meadow Road north one mile. Turn left on Boca Dam Reservoir Road and drive northwest for about two-point-three miles. Turn right on Boca Lake Road to reach the reservoir’s launch access.

Directions To Stampede Reservoir:From the town of Truckee, drive east on Interstate 80 for six-and-a-half miles to Boca. Exit on Boca-Hirschdale (Highway 270/Stampede Meadow Road), and drive about seven miles. Go past Boca Reservoir to the junction with County Road S261 and turn left. Drive one-and-a-half miles to the campground and launch facilities.

Directions To Prosser Creek: From the town of Truckee, drive north on Highway 89 for about three-and a-half miles. Turn right on Road 18N74 and drive one mile east to the lake and campgrounds.

If you go please let me know how low the water level is.

Sky

Levianth
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
According to Mapquest, it is 31 miles from Reno to Chilcoot, which is the turn off into Frenchman's. It's always been very productive for us. We fished left of the dam and another spot on the North end of the lake. I've heard that people do really good near the launch ramp as well. We caught hold over trout & bullheads. There may be pike in the lake, although they have tried to irradicate the lake of those.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Reno&1s=NV&2c=Chilcoot&2s=CA

PIKE! how do the trout survive? Well i just might check it out...thanks again! I will let you know how I do.

Levianth
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
DONNER LAKE? ANY relation to the donner party? AHAHA well I will let you know how it goes and thanks for the info....Hopefully I can slay a big one this year!

sky
07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
DONNER LAKE? ANY relation to the donner party? AHAHA well I will let you know how it goes and thanks for the info....Hopefully I can slay a big one this year!

Yes I believe the lake is named after the people who died in the Donner party.

Levianth
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
"When they reached the Sierra Nevada at the end of October, a snowstorm blocked their way over what is now known as Donner Pass. Demoralized and low on supplies, about three quarters of the emigrants camped at a lake (now called Donner Lake), while the Donner families and a few others camped about six miles (ten kilometers) away, at Alder Creek." - WIKIPEDIA

GOT A LOVE WIKI...interesting history all throughout the Sierra range. I love it up there.

Dean Wormer
07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
If I remember correctly, there's a memorial at the campground to the late Donner Party that's located where they met their untimely demise.

And I often tell my fat cat(25 lbs) that he could'a kept the Donner Party goin' for days.... :D

stickfightersmama
09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
If you are ever in the area again try the truckee River. you just take s. Virgina to down town and the you can fish anywhere on the truckee. I have come to find out black panther lures work the best for the river. You can also fish the sparks marina. Just off Mccairn Blvd. on your right hand side. These are the two places I do all my fishing. The Sparks mairnia works best with bright glitter power bait.

Hey guys and gals!

stickfightersmama
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Frenchmans like is about an hour to an hour and half. Its actually in Northern Ca. Just out side of Nevada. You would just take the 395 north to susanville. Its a nice like I have been there with my mom Grannyfish a couple times. They also have campgrounds there as well. If you fish there though the best fishing I have found is by the dam.

hey thanks for the info granny fish...Im new to the board but long time reader.

How far north of reno is this place? Drive time?