PDA

View Full Version : Missing fisherman

hbstriker
04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Got back from a surf this morn, only to turn on the TV and see a live broadcast of a missing fisherman at wedge. Apparently was wept off by the large surf running right now, and its only getting bigger too. Once again, be careful, and lets pray or cross our fingers or whatever, that this guy is found soon.

IslandBoi
04-10-2007, 11:26 AM
That sucks for that guy, I pray he gets found

but

c'mon people .... common sense here .... we all know how the wedge is, how dangerous it can be .... how can you not take precaution and be careful ....

user error on this one .....

hbstriker
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Witnesses are saying it is him and a woman.

04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
:(

Crappie Slayer
04-10-2007, 12:06 PM
:( :(

xtranzman
04-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Here is the print on the story thus far... Lets all hope for the best!

(CBS) NEWPORT BEACH Coast Guard and other rescue crews searched the waters off Newport Beach Tuesday for a man and a woman who were fishing on a jetty when they were swept into the sea by a powerful wave, authorities said.

A witness reported a man and woman struggling in the water at 9:17 a.m., prompting the sheriff's harbor patrol to send out two fire boats and a patrol boat to search for them, said Lt. Erin Guidice, the Orange County sheriff's assistant harbor master.

Stiff winds were pushing the water into a south swell breaking on the jetty, with strong water currents flowing out into the ocean.

A Coast Guard cutter and two helicopters joined in the search, but the pair had not been seen as of 11:40 a.m., Guidice said. The man is said to be in his fifties, and the woman in her forties. A woman's hat and a man's shoe have been recovered.

"The water's cold, and with current like that, we can just hope and pray we find them," Guidice said.

The jetties which are located near the entrance to the harbor are a popular fishing spot.

X

CatchthatTrout
04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
My prayers are with this couple that they're found.

KaliDawgFan
04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Ya, I just saw that on the news. They were showing it live. The waves look pretty bad.

jplee3
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM

but

c'mon people .... common sense here .... we all know how the wedge is, how dangerous it can be .... how can you not take precaution and be careful ....

I feel bad for them. It's true this one was user error, but realistically, how many people you think there are out there who actually check wave reports, etc. before heading out to go fish somewhere? I know many people do, but I'm sure there are some who don't...
Who knows? Maybe it was their first time out there? :(

spiceguy
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
That sucks...

IslandBoi
04-10-2007, 01:53 PM

but

I feel bad for them. It's true this one was user error, but realistically, how many people you think there are out there who actually check wave reports, etc. before heading out to go fish somewhere? I know many people do, but I'm sure there are some who don't...

I'm sure many people don't check wave reports, but c'mon, when you get there, you have to notice the big waves, it's just stupidity if you don't, and knowing the Wedge's reputation, it's pretty much expected.

If you gut feeling says be careful, I would listen to it ....

I do pray that they are found, alive and well. Only god can help them now

jplee3
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM

but

I'm sure many people don't check wave reports, but c'mon, when you get there, you have to notice the big waves, it's just stupidity if you don't, and knowing the Wedge's reputation, it's pretty much expected.

If you gut feeling says be careful, I would listen to it ....

I do pray that they are found, alive and well. Only god can help them now

Good point there - I guess some easily underestimate the power of the seas. Maybe they got there pretty early when it wasn't as bad and got caught up in all of it... either way, I just know it was CRAZY at M-St when I was out there last night. So I can't imagine how bad it must have been at the Wedge.

hbstriker
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I just got back from watching the bodyboarding down at wedge, it is nuts, at least 15 feet on the sets. There are still people fishing, but on the safer side, I guess. I surfed at 7, and it was big, I don't see how the missing folks could have not known. Really sad. The CG cutter was making its way back in when i got there, and no news chopper in sight, wonder what happened

play4therush
04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
hope he is found.. that suck's.. he probably had on wafer's too..

FishingOC
04-10-2007, 06:23 PM
That sucks, Pray they are alive and well and hope they get lucky....

Could be any one of us...you know.

If I ever hit the jetties, i'll be wearing a floating vest from now on, thats for sure.

:x :x

fish4keep
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Bummer about the fisherman and woman.

Use some common sense. But then again commen sense is not too common for some.

DarkShadow
04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Use some common sense. But then again common sense is not too common for some.

You can't teach common sense...

jplee3
04-11-2007, 09:11 AM
the search has been called off... :(

hookemdano
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
They got swept off at 9:15 so it isn't looking too good by 10 or so in 58 degree water. As bad as the waves were, they said the current was very strong as well. Unless they were very strong swimmers they didn't have much of a chance.

smokehound
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh man ... I saw this on the news.. :(

At the very least, he DID get to die doing what he probably loved most.

If he was alive, i would be very surprised. I dont even surf fish during swells like this :|

craznazn
04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
For the wedge, I always wear an inflatable PFD. More often than not, rogue waves will appear.

Dave24
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Pretty sure it was the CDM jetty they fell off. Not the Wedge side. It's actually very rare for the waves to break at the end of that jetty. Maybe once a year.

smokehound
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
But these waves were going up to 15 feet!

Cangler
04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Ive just seen it on the news ... they said they will do a three day search for the bodies .....crazy !

Fish Dog
04-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Pretty sure it was the CDM jetty they fell off. Not the Wedge side. It's actually very rare for the waves to break at the end of that jetty. Maybe once a year.

It was the CDM side. Heard the cops impounded their car from the parking lot there today. Sad situation. Some of the biggest waves I've seen in a while today. There were some spots that had bigger surf then where the surfers were surfing. Even they were scared to go out in those areas.

TrouTHeAd
04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ho ... 650659.php (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1650659.php)

IslandBoi
04-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Use some common sense. But then again common sense is not too common for some.

You can't teach common sense...

Aint that the truth .... amazing how people could be missing this trait

FishermanStu
04-12-2007, 05:09 PM
yeah i was out there bodyboarding at wedge today and with the winds, high surf. and currents it was almost impossible to stay in a relatively safe spot. the waves were super strong with the long interval swells. thats why wedge was so big. the longer the inervals the more energy gets refracted and the more jacked it gets. i was only out for about 45 minutes and i was gassed and i had a wetsuit and fins on and a bodyboard. if they went in on the wedge side of the jetty i would give someone about 30 minutes to get up the rocks before they get slammed. my prayers go out to the families of those people

one_leg
04-12-2007, 06:23 PM
if they went in on the wedge side of the jetty i would give someone about 30 minutes to get up the rocks before they get slammed. my prayers go out to the families of those people

You must have meant 30 seconds Stu, right? Because they would have been chum after 30 minutes.

FishermanStu
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
i say thrity minutes considering the long period swell with the longer lulls between the large sets. thirty minutes top on a day like today

gwjones00
04-13-2007, 08:26 AM
went over there to watch the kooks body surfing on Tuesday and Wendesday. Tuesday and Wednesday were big - wave faces were 15 to 20 foot on the Newport Beach side. Tuesday was consistently over 10 feet, Wednesday had bigger sets (15 to 18 foot faces), but much more time between them.

The two that drowned though were on the Corona del Mar jetty. Surfers on the CdM side of the jetty were surfing head high waves on Tuesday. The waves on the CdM jetty *inside the harbor* were breaking over the top of the jetty on Wednesday.

I have some pics if you want to see the Wedge in action - . Two folders there have Wedge photos from Tuesday and Wednesday.

http://gwjones2006.fotki.com