PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Newport on the 4th???

r3spawn619
06-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm going to be on Lido Island on the 4th. Was going to take a walk around the island and try and score some fish in the morning. Never been. Looking for some advice, baits, good areas to try. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

sonic
06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Probably be better to chose a different day to go fishing in NP. Have you ever been there on the 4th. Try some Gulps on a leadhead, pack light and keep moving. Good luck

CrabMan
06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm going to be on Lido Island on the 4th. Was going to take a walk around the island and try and score some fish in the morning. Never been. Looking for some advice, baits, good areas to try. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

Lido has a couple of good spots to fish. There a a few small beaches around the island that you can walk to. All open to the bay. There is also a small boat ramp and storage area on the South side near the stop sign. This is a good place to fish for spotted bay bass as there are several mouring bouys just off shore. Fish to the side of these bouys and near the bottom you'll find structure where the anchor block and chain is. Use dark color worms or swim baits early in the morning and chartruse, orange, brown baits in the afternoon.

If you fish near pilings or docks, mussel, sand crabs, ghost shrimp all work well on the carolina rig. Just cast in front of the structure and retrieve your bait slowly. I'd use a 1/4 oz sinker on 6lb test with a flouro leader.

Try not to make too much noise as there are many cranky rich old folks that live on the island.:(

By the way, it's a great place to spend the 4th. Very seculded from the masses, cool in the evening and a great view of the Dunes fireworks. My aunt and uncle moved to the island in 1962 and we've had many memorable times there.

Have fun !!!:LOL:

Fish Dog
06-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Just an FYI for you Lido Island is entirely private. There are about 6 small private parks around the perimeter of the island that you can access the bay but if someone out there gets a burr up their butt they can probably get you kicked out. I suspect they'd be more likely to do that on the 4th then any other day of the year. In fact, because of the 4th, it's likely they well hire roving rent-a-cops to watch the island. I'm seen them out there from time to time. You might want to consider Balboa Island, that's all public bay front there.

flyngby
07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
If you are staying on the Island and can prove it good for you as I have been chased away by the authorities.

There are great opportunities to walk the shore and work the cover provided by the island's private toys and playground.

Most only get to fish it by boat.

Steve

r3spawn619
07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
We are actually staying on the island. So I hope that counts for something. My brothers in-laws have a house we are staying at. So hopefully the other half can handle my working class attitude. I just want to go out early for a couple hours and relax and have fun. Keep coming with the advice. It's a great help.