PDA

View Full Version : King's Canyon River

HBJapo
06-30-2008, 02:09 PM
My buddy just came back from this place and said that it was awesome. He flyfished it this weekend with his son and they netted one nice brown and a rainbow. Can anyone concur with this? He is wondering if his catches are consistent with the usual fish that are caught. They CnR'd all fish as usual. I may have to get up there someday.

What are your experiences, folks?

Japo :Envious:

WaterWarrior
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Used 2 Go Camping All The Time Here When I Was Younger...quite An Amazing Place...just Gotta Watch Out For Bears! But Yes What Ur Friend Encountered As Far As The Fishing Is Concered Is Par For This River...although Never Having Fly Fished It 2 This Date...i Have Always Experienced Good Fishing. Just Watch Out For Them Bears And You Fine...this Is Truly A Beautiful Place.

Liteliner
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I drove over that river on the way back from sacramento on the 99 last fall and the river looked completely dried up. Does it branch into little creeks?

Badfish2
07-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Kings canyon river starts waaaaaaaaaaay back there in the heart of the sierras. If you go to google maps you can follow it to it's headwaters.. Awesome hiking back there, you can hiking for months if you wanted to

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-06-2008, 08:40 AM
The Kings River definately has brown and rainbow trout. Hiking up the river you'll run into some decent size ponds for the bigger fish, some as big as 5 lbs. A dirt/rock road that follows the river will take you from the river entrance to Pineflat Res all the way up near Wishon Res.(about 22 miles). Yeah, there are the bears, but when I used to hike upstream I'd always carry my 44 mag revolver. Holstered and with a general hunting license it's legal. Also, the river is above Wishon Res and is only hike-in type of fishing....and the only way to get there is by boat across Wishon Res.
Late fall thru winter the Kings River is always very low or dry because the water is used for irrigation, and since the growing season for our summer fruits is over and the northern lakes have gotten low enough for the winter/spring snow....FYI.

TrouTHeAd
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
King's river is an awesome place to fish for rainbows. I recently moved to Fresno and I'm about >30mins away from the river. I'm close to the pine flat dam portion. It's a good time to fish for big rainbows since the river is high at the moment. Not too many people know how to fish the river when it's high. Rainbows are being dropped in every week!!! If you get the chance you should definitely give it a try.

HBJapo
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
The Kings River definately has brown and rainbow trout. Hiking up the river you'll run into some decent size ponds for the bigger fish, some as big as 5 lbs. A dirt/rock road that follows the river will take you from the river entrance to Pineflat Res all the way up near Wishon Res.(about 22 miles). Yeah, there are the bears, but when I used to hike upstream I'd always carry my 44 mag revolver. Holstered and with a general hunting license it's legal. Also, the river is above Wishon Res and is only hike-in type of fishing....and the only way to get there is by boat across Wishon Res.
Late fall thru winter the Kings River is always very low or dry because the water is used for irrigation, and since the growing season for our summer fruits is over and the northern lakes have gotten low enough for the winter/spring snow....FYI.

I just want to verify the legality issue. Who's land are you on, at that point? I would have to think that you are not on park land?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm not positively sure, but anywhere there isn't a NO TRESSPASSING sign it's part of the National Forest. Closer to Pineflat Res. I'm sure there is lots of privately owned land. Like I mentioned before, the road from Pineflats almost to Wishon Res. is 22 miles or better so there's plenty of river to fish. Accessability to the water may be your biggest problem since the terrain can be rough hiking down to it. I've always wanted to take my dual sport motorcycle.....more time to fish a big section and ride up to the waters edge. Hope this answers your question, but I've always fished the upper section below Wishon Res. You used to be able to park below the dam and start your hike downstream, but as of a couple weeks ago the gate was locked and I don't know why. Make sure you check the DFG regulation book to make sure you have the right gear since most of the upper river is all fly fishing.

TrouTHeAd
07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
The gate is now open to the upper king's river. I was just up in Wishon camping this past weekend. There are plenty of browns down there, but I didn't get the chance to fish it because I was fishing the main resevior.

HBJapo
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, all!!