PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Trip, Float Tube Question

FishPrincipal
06-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm heading up to Crawley next weekend and I am looking into purchasing a Fish Cat Float Tube. I weigh just under 250 pounds, and that is the max capacity of the float tube. Should I get the Fat Cat that holds over 300 pounds, or would I be okay on the 250 pounder? Anyone else gonna be up there next weekend?

WAVEMHOME
06-29-2008, 06:05 PM
I had a "friend" Ask me the same question about weight... It wasn't me, it was a friend...

diamondbear
06-29-2008, 06:41 PM
The Fish Cat would be fine for your weight as the manuf. allows for a slight overweight , have fun . What kinda fins do you have ? very important .

DaFish
06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Get the Fat Cat.
I did my fathers day post explaining about how mine fishcat deluxe developed a leak at the seam. I got a new aircell which is great. The guy at the company told me the Fat cats are made better. Get the Super fat cat with the Air cushions it is more comfortable.

The fat cat floats higher and the main thing is the Pockets are huge. I wanted to trade in mine just for the storage space in the fat cats looks great.

The draw back to the fat cat is there is one aircell but if you get the super fat cat you get 2 air cushions which leaves you with 3. I think a life vest that is not inflated until needed would be good to have in the deeper lakes.

FishPrincipal
06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
I have Viper Fins for body surfing. Have a friend who uses them and says they work great.

seal
06-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Get the Fat Cat.
I did my fathers day post explaining about how mine fishcat deluxe developed a leak at the seam. I got a new aircell which is great. The guy at the company told me the Fat cats are made better. Get the Super fat cat with the Air cushions it is more comfortable.

The fat cat floats higher and the main thing is the Pockets are huge. I wanted to trade in mine just for the storage space in the fat cats looks great.

The draw back to the fat cat is there is one aircell but if you get the super fat cat you get 2 air cushions which leaves you with 3. I think a life vest that is not inflated until needed would be good to have in the deeper lakes.

I have had 2 seam breaks on fish cat, went to odc420 and have been very satisfied, better materials I believe. Not quite as much storage space but you can always bring a dry bag and throw it in the back for clothes and stuff.

DaFish
06-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Seal,

What does odc420 mean?

thanks

jeff4321
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, i have a fish cat 4, i weigh like 195 it holds me up fine,

My friend is 6' 10'' at 260 pounds, it holds him up as well as it holds me up.

so.. 250 is a estimation...

EMarty
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
The fish cat will do just fine. I've been fishing from a fish cat for more than four years now and never had any trouble with seams... My weight is 245, and I ride high and dry. Fish Crowley in big wind and waves, not an issue.

FishPrincipal
06-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Thank you everyone for the great advice, I greatly appreciate it. Sorry to FNN Admin, these posts probably should have been in the float tube catagory that I did not notice until a while after I posted it.

LBSea
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
ODC420 is the Out Door Craft from Creek Company in Colorado. Great company and great product. I have had my original odc420 float tube for 2 years now and when I did have a leak in the bladder they replaced it no questions asked. Check with Wilderness Angler [sales@wildernessangler.com]. Got my latest odc420 as a spare one for $169.95 including shipping and NO tax. It took about 1 week to get and YES it will hold 250lbs.+ no problem.

BE SURE TO LET MOST OF THE AIR OUT OF YOUR TUBE WHEN IN THE SIERRA'S. THE HIGHER ALTITUED WILL CAUSE THE BLADDERS TO EXPAND AND WILL POP IF YOU START WITH TOO MUCH AIR IS IN THEM. ALSO IT IS VERY COLD AT NIGHT AND HOT AS HELL AT NOON. AFTER FISHING THE MORNING SEASON BE SURE TO LET SOME AIR OUT OF EACH LADDER OR THE SUN CAUSE THE AIR IN THE TUBE TO EXPAND AND WILL ALSO POP YOUR TUBE. I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE SUN PROBLEM ON MY LAST TIME UP AND FISHED WITH A SLOW LEAK THE LAST DAY OF A WEEK LONG TRIP.

Good Luck,

Doug

FishPrincipal
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
That is awsome advice LBSea, I had'nt thought of that yet. I wonder if that is the cause of some of the seam tears I've read about in reviews.

willis949
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Force fins are the best investment in my opinion.I was tubing for two days straight and no calf cramps at all.

Badfish2
08-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Hey, i have a fish cat 4, i weigh like 195 it holds me up fine,

My friend is 6' 10'' at 260 pounds, it holds him up as well as it holds me up.

so.. 250 is a estimation...

6'10'' and only 260? That's a skinny mofo