PDA

View Full Version : Upper Twin Lakes Suggestions?

ScottD
05-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey all, i am heading up for the weekend and will be staying on the lake. I have never been there. I will have a boat to fish with while i am there. Can anyone help me out with what gear and especially tackle that i should try. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

ScottD
05-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Does anyone have any idea about the twin lakes up near mammoth?

jeff4321
05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
my friend used to talk about that place all the time, he always used to talk about using yellow power bait.

so try it.

Old Dude
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I would troll some rapalas,cd or flyline some floaters, 3" power worms threaded on #10 hook, #6 panther martin, gold, rainbow pattern rooster tail,gold blade, Good luck!

DanKBecker
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey all, i am heading up for the weekend and will be staying on the lake. I have never been there. I will have a boat to fish with while i am there. Can anyone help me out with what gear and especially tackle that i should try. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

If you want to catch consistantly, I would use the good ol' nightcrawler. If you are looking for bigger fish (but less numbers) I would use gold and red Thomas Bouyants or Super Dupers #502.

Twin Lakes in Mammoth are in my opinion, kind of a hype. There is always wayyyyy tooooo many people there and I kind of like my solitude when I am fishing.

Headhunter
05-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Well, I don't know about calling mammoth twin lakes "Hype".

I've fished it when there were NO people on the lake, and I've fished it when it was crowded. It all depends on when you go, day of week, time of day, etc.

Either way it's always a good experience....beautiful scenery, nice little store close by, and my experience with the fishing has always been excellent. In fact, the VERY BEST day of fishing my son and I have ever had was on the upper twin lake, middle of the day. We rented a boat and we had about TWO HOURS of NON-STOP catching and releasing. We have never caught that many fish in one day before or since.

So, yeah, it can be crowded at times, but it's still a place you really SHOULD fish if you visit mammoth.

Headhunter
05-23-2007, 06:14 PM

I've fished it when there were NO people on the lake, and I've fished it when it was crowded. It all depends on when you go, day of week, time of day, etc.

Either way it's always a good experience....beautiful scenery, nice little store close by, and my experience with the fishing has always been excellent. In fact, the VERY BEST day of fishing my son and I have ever had was on the upper twin lake, middle of the day. We rented a boat and we had about TWO HOURS of NON-STOP catching and releasing. We have never caught that many fish in one day before or since.

So, yeah, it can be crowded at times, but it's still a place you really SHOULD fish if you visit mammoth.

Headhunter
05-23-2007, 06:30 PM

DanKBecker
05-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Don't get me wrong, the lakes and scenery are absolutley beautiful, and yes, there are many stores and such close by. And yes, it can offer some good fishing, but quantity is not always as good as quality. In my opinion, I would rather go to a deeper (considering twins is extremly shallow), less traveled lake in which I can catch seasoned trout. I am sure you have been to Lower Twins when no one else was around, but that doesnt mean that 300 people have already fished it earlier that week, so in the end, most of what you are catching is the usuall stockers and maybe an Alper once in a blue moon. June, Gull, Virginia, Lundy, Upper Twins, and even Silver are (in my opinion) better alternatives.

sierraslam
05-24-2007, 07:19 AM
I would suggest a float tube or boat when fishing Twin Lakes in Mammoth. You can find some shore to fish, but it's limited. There will be some big fish planted for the holiday weekend in all the Mammoth Lakes. The best time to get a big Alpers Trout is the Thursday and Friday before a holiday weekend. Try Mammie and Mary, the big ones are in there! good luck, good fishin!

Headhunter
05-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Yes, the shoreline at Twin is very, very limited. Boat or tube.

But I'll state again that you really should fish this little lake. Smitty, who has fished this area as much as anyone, recommends Twin lakes, and I just really like it.

It's very small. Almost like a very large pond in some respects (I'm referring to the upper twin Lake). There can be a LOT of weeds in the summer, but they plant Alpers in there, and it's a great little place.

That's the cool thing about Mammoth; You've got Twin, Mamie, George, Mary, and Mammoth Creek all within a short distance. All of them provide a unique and special fishing experience.