PDA

View Full Version : Indepedence

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Stayed last week at Ray's Den, Cheap and clean, best deal in inyo. Ran into a local, his bro in law works the stocking truck,need i say more? Limits in 1/2 hour. C/R till we were trouted out. Buy local lots of beer, he take us on fishing expedition through the whole valley. We catch L/M to 3#, smallmouth 2#, 3 10'' browns all c/r. I have caught lots of bass over the years, but i tell you these bass hit and fight hard. I thought 3# was at least 5# pounder when it hit white spinnerbait. Quotes from my bro in law, where in the hell are we going? There's no fish in the fing desert! Wow, that's a fat trout-3# l/m. Tell me the truth, your lost, I won't be mad but it's getting dark and there aint ***** out here!He was a rookie when we got there but he knows his stuff now! He won 900 bones at piaute palace, one happy camper. Stopped at lone pine canyon to check out portal, was a ZOO, 10 sun bathers on one side, ahol!es every where,I will return and stay far away, out there in the valley, happy i don't need scenery, but solitude and fishing that is the bomb.

Granny Fish
05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
:rofl: Your brother's sentiments were also mine the first time I traveled through that area.

Independence is fun, especially on the 4th of July when they have their big community barbeque, live music and fireworks show.

If you like visiting the Whittney Portal, try Onion Valley next time, straight up the mountain from Independence. Not many people and lots of back country lakes you can hike to. Water falls and small tributaries surround the camp. It is at a high elevation 9000+ feet and hiking is strenuous.

Take Highway 395 to Independence, CA. Turn west on Market Street and follow the road 13 miles. Road ends at Onion Valley Campground.

Greg Madrigal
05-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow, what a cool time that must have been. I was in Independence on Sat. That was a good time. Did not fish the ponds this time tho.

Thanks 4 sharing. I enjoyed the read!

GM

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
:rofl: Your brother's sentiments were also mine the first time I traveled through that area.

Independence is fun, especially on the 4th of July when they have their big community barbeque, live music and fireworks show.

If you like visiting the Whittney Portal, try Onion Valley next time, straight up the mountain from Independence. Not many people and lots of back country lakes you can hike to. Water falls and small tributaries surround the camp. It is at a high elevation 9000+ feet and hiking is strenuous.

Take Highway 395 to Independence, CA. Turn west on Market Street and follow the road 13 miles. Road ends at Onion Valley Campground. I took bro in law to portal on saturday because he never been up there, i knew it would be crowded, but it was to the max. I have reservations for the 4th, sound GREAT, the local i buddied up with runs the show, can't go into that ,we swore we would not give up his spots, his local buddys will be mad. I've been up the onion valley, thanks for the advice, we made it as far as the weir and caught limits there, so back to the motel to clean more fish. Linda at Ray's den will let fishermen use her kitchen to clean fish. i gave her a limit. Much better that bending over in a creek with a bad back.LOL They have a bull frog jump this year also, sound like a good time. Let me know if you go. I have 3 teenagers and my wife, I'am sure, would enjoy your company, so i can sneak out and fish, JOKING. Thanks for your reply.

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 12:24 PM
edit

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Well there you go, that was for you granny, me and my comp skills, please edit out .

Girlzluvfishin
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I was through Independance on Sunday, still a zoo!!! I couldnt even get a line wet!!

Old Dude
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
I was through Independance on Sunday, still a zoo!!! I couldnt even get a line wet!! check pm

Granny Fish
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Let me know if you go. I have 3 teenagers and my wife, I'am sure, would enjoy your company, so i can sneak out and fish, JOKING. Thanks for your reply.

We are thinking of spending the weekend of the 4th camping at Onion Valley. I'll let you know. But I don't know how much company I would be to your wife, when I'm not eating or sleeping, I like to be fishing.

Seatech
05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Nice, yeah the bass fishing up there can be very good and Ray's den is a pretty cool place.

The Mount Williamson hotel, just down the street, is also really nice, plus you get breakfast made for you (included in the price) each morning.

We've caught quite a few big bass (big for that area) up to 6lbs (on a digi scale) over the years. Lots of places to get them from Haiwee (now closed but really good SMB in the 2 lakes) all the way up to Bishop.

You lucked out having the locals take you to these spots, most are very protective of the "secret" waters/ponds up there. Good thing most are well hidden from the road and take a fairly decent ride over some rough road to find.

We've spent the past 5-6 years exploring the area and finding a few nuggets with some big fish in them.

This is one of the better, well known ponds in the area, think it holds bass???

http://www.seasidetechno.com/BP05BP.jpg

We'll be up there in June looking to get a few!

Ed

Old Dude
05-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Nice pic,there might be carp in there. Too many reeds and moss for me.

Beancounter
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Short & sweet report there Old Dude... 8)
Thanks.
That's exactly what I want to do when I retire up there...just explore the area between Bishop & Lone pine...looking for trout, LMB & SMB.
Bought a lot in Olancha(accross the highway from Haiwee) a few years back...11 years to go :D

soulsurfer
05-24-2007, 12:42 PM
i don't need scenery, but solitude and fishing that is the bomb.

that speaks volume Old Dude.....heck I'm still trying to find the sandtrap when I drive pass Independence. Maybe one day I can get lost up there and discover one of your hidden gems.

thanks for sharing Man.

Soul

Seatech
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Nice pic,there might be carp in there. Too many reeds and moss for me.

Lots of big carp in that pond and most of the others up there too!

We've seen guys sitting along the bank and even driving along some of the canals in cars shooting the carp with rifles and hand guns.

Ed

Old Dude
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Short & sweet report there Old Dude... 8)
Thanks.
That's exactly what I want to do when I retire up there...just explore the area between Bishop & Lone pine...looking for trout, LMB & SMB.
Bought a lot in Olancha(accross the highway from Haiwee) a few years back...11 years to go :DI checked the flows on owens down the valley from blackrock to lake.Water very brackish and about 2-3 feet higher on lower end.Locals are planting minnows and frogs, some fish, it won't take as long as they predict for fishery to come around. I had property in Keeler, had to sell, went half with a relative. Olancha is nice, hell if i liked Keeler, Olancha has some treesLOL

craznazn
05-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Wow...Independence Creek brings back memories. I used to go up and catch nice brookies in the pools around the campground. Thanks for the post.