PDA

View Full Version : 27" legal from BCSB

klocked
06-27-2008, 08:01 PM
After reading all of TJ's reports again.... and again, I just couldn't help myself and cruised down there to check it out.... again.:Envious:

Got there at 6am, rigged up the dropshot with a berkely pearl white pb shad using a couple of split shots on the tag end. Tossed that out and realized the current was too strong to hold bottom. Strong enough that I would of needed more weight than I was comfortable putting on there.

So I switched out to the MS MJ Herring FlashMinnow130MR LC and started fan casting from right to left, left to right. After making several passes from the first spot and not getting any hits, I moved down the rocks 20 yards and tried again. Finally, a nice cast straight out in front of me, I get hit hard but then it feels like nothings hooked up. I start reeling in to recast and then I feel it... thump, thump, he's still there!! Cool, fish on!!
I reel him in, eyeball his size, he was big but I wanted a bigger one.
Checked his pulse, made him pose for a pic, and back home:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002669.jpg

After that, I made my way back to my original spot and worked that area again for no love. By this time, the current is slowing and slack tide is only minutes away. I noticed a nice glassy round patch of water out there near where I got hit. I decided to work that area with the Metallic Sardine LC.
After several fan casting passes I see that glassy spot is getting smoother, looks like it might be a hole. So I concentrate my efforts around that spot. Bam! ZZZzZZzzzzZZzzing!! another fish on! This time I have no doubt that it's a legal. I needed to work my way back over a couple rocks to get my pliers and to stage for the landing. With my pole in one hand and using my other hand to maneuver, I start my my way back, this fiash was getting me all excited, trying to pull my pole:Shocked:out of my hand(hmm) anyways, I get back to my pliers and gaff and this fish is still running strong, still taking more line. After a little while of playing with her, I decide to tighten the drag and bring her in. About the time I get her at my feet, some dude walks up and offers his net to land the fish(thanks again man!) A few minutes after putting her on the stringer, Bill Varney walks up and we introduce ourselves. He asks if he can get a pic for his web site, I'm like "sure, ok!!" Then he takes a pic for me with my cam. We chatted for a bit and then he went to search out some beans.
Here's the legal...
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/Im002671a.jpg
I continued casting the lc for no more love but I was quite content.

Bill came back over, mentioned he accomplished his mission and showed me a pic on his digicam of a nice bean, good job Bill!
He got out his tape measure and guessed that my hali was around 25", I guessed at 26" and the actual measurement was 27". It was nice meeting you out there Bill!! Seeya next time.
Here's a few more pics....
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002672.jpg
Not so long ago, I was advised that if you catch a legal at 22" -23", you should make plans to either put the fish away or just go home early. Reason being is that after a butt dies, it will shrink in size up to 2". My legal was already 2" shorter by the time I got home(35-40 minutes).
You don't want to catch a barely legal that starts shrinking and then have the DFG roll up on you.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/IM002673.jpg

My family and I ate 4.25 pounds of hali filets, MMMMMM good!

Klocked

tacklejunkie
06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Nice work man! that's a good fish! They fight hard!
Good to hear Bill got them 'Beans too! Nice work guys, wish I was there! :Thumbs Up:

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-27-2008, 09:21 PM
good job man i knew you'd hook a nice hali on the Lc;)..im going to bcsb tomorrow to chuck the LC and dropshot with fishindude420

fish_sauce
06-27-2008, 09:41 PM
awesome catch! thanks for the report!

i actually know a guy who had to challenge his citation in court for keeping a barely legal halibut....the fish shrank by half an inch when DFG measured it, and the whole thing became such a big mess...one that could have easily been avoided! thanks for pointing that out.

tight lines!

newbefisher
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice job! Thanks for the advise on the shrinkage.

CrabMan
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Klocked,
You're the man--Today! Who will catch the big butt tomorrow?

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/JOHNSHALIBUT062708.jpg

Had a great time fishing with you today. What nice weather and great conditions. You're right I had to escape the crowds and go to my secret honey hole for corbina. Found this one in about 4inches of water. Used a soft sand crab on the carolina rig with 6lb flouro leader and a very sharp hook! The fish was 26+" and around 7 pounds.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/MONSTERCORBINA062708.jpg

Released to play another day!!

I've seen larger ones--and they fear me:D !!!

Hope to see you down there soon--or maybe I'll come up to the south bay and try my old spots.

bsp
06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Klocked,

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/JOHNSHALIBUT062708.jpg

Had a great time fishing with you today. What nice weather and great conditions. You're right I had to escape the crowds and go to my secret honey hole for corbina. Found this one in about 4inches of water. Used a soft sand crab on the carolina rig with 6lb flouro leader and a very sharp hook! The fish was 26+" and around 7 pounds.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/bvloans/MONSTERCORBINA062708.jpg

Released to play another day!!

I've seen larger ones--and they fear me:D !!!

Hope to see you down there soon--or maybe I'll come up to the south bay and try my old spots.

I would stick with that spot for now. The south bay beans are not quite ready yet. The sliders are few and far between with the sand crabs still on the small side. I was just down there tonight, and while the structure is good, it will be another 2 weeks or so. I have never had any luck with 6lb flouro either (always use 4), but I guess I will give it a try now.

Good job on the fat halibut! I have been meaning to try BCSB for a while now, and this post has finally motivated me to get down there tomorrow!

tacklejunkie
06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Man what a fish! :Shocked: Nice work Bill.
Bought some new 6lb line today. I think I'll give them 'beans a shot next week!

Wingnut
06-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Set your minimum size for keeping a Halibut at 24"... don't keep anything even close to 22", problem solved. ;)

Beautiful Butt Klocked, well done.

Bill, nice Bean sir, they do fear you! :Envious:

blackwater
06-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice butt...
congrats...

boxl0bster
06-28-2008, 06:36 AM
awesome! thanks for the report.

shy_boxer
06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the report and congrats on your legal.

one_leg
06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
That's just great man!!! Congrats to you and Bill.

THNX for the report/pics.

steve092
06-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Bet that thing tasted great!

Good job!

klocked
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Nice work man! that's a good fish! They fight hard!
Good to hear Bill got them 'Beans too! Nice work guys, wish I was there! :Thumbs Up:

Thanks TJ

good job man i knew you'd hook a nice hali on the Lc;)..im going to bcsb tomorrow to chuck the LC and dropshot with fishindude420

Thanks ZBA

awesome catch! thanks for the report!

i actually know a guy who had to challenge his citation in court for keeping a barely legal halibut....the fish shrank by half an inch when DFG measured it, and the whole thing became such a big mess...one that could have easily been avoided! thanks for pointing that out.

tight lines!

Thanks f_s, I take it that your friend won the case?

Nice job! Thanks for the advise on the shrinkage.

Thanks nbf, np on the advisement:Envious:

Klocked,
Had a great time fishing with you today. What nice weather and great conditions.

Thanks Bill, it was great fishing and talking with you too!

Good job on the fat halibut! I have been meaning to try BCSB for a while now, and this post has finally motivated me to get down there tomorrow!

Thanks bsp, glad my post gave someone some motivation to try it.:)

Set your minimum size for keeping a Halibut at 24"... don't keep anything even close to 22", problem solved. ;)

Beautiful Butt Klocked, well done.

Thankyou Wingnut

Nice butt...
congrats...

Thankyou bw

awesome! thanks for the report.

Thankyou bl

Thanks for the report and congrats on your legal.

Thankyou s_b

That's just great man!!! Congrats to you and Bill.

THNX for the report/pics.

Thanks o_l and you're welcome for the report/pics

Bet that thing tasted great!
Good job!

Thanks steve, yes it did taste great!!:LOL:

flyngby
07-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice flattie you got there!

Looks like things are heating up there for the flat variety and I noticed it is getting some great pressure as well!!!!!!

Look like a crowd on a pier on 7/1 am when I passed by on the way to NPH and gave it a slight thought to give it a try but looked looked like too close of quarters to attempt with the Rippin inward tide.

Keep up the great posts.

Steve

troutdog
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Awesome job Klocked. Congrats on the nice lookin hali....great report and pics, keep 'em coming!

TD