PDA

View Full Version : June Lake Loop Fishing

achan618
06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I am going to be up in the June Lake area for the 4th of July weekend. I haven't really seen any fishing reports lately from this area. Are there any recommendations of lakes to go to and areas to fish from if I was to do some shore fishing. I am bringing my wife of 3 months and this is her first time fishing. I would like her to catch some fish, as it will only get her to go more with me in the future. Hope people understand what I mean.

Badfish2
06-27-2008, 04:24 AM
Good spot for the kids is the "Rock" at Gull.. it's on the east side of the lake, Park by the fire station (don't block anything.. you'll see parking signs) and walk the "fisherman's trail" to the rock.. That's about the best spot on that lake period. Cast out about 20 feet (yep that close) with some Yellow PB or Yellow Sierra Gold with garlic spray on and you'll catch at least 30 fish.. get there early though, they hit way more often earlier in the day there. Gold/Red tear drop shaped thomas bouyants absolutely kick *** there, along with fire tiger colored lures. Fish them near the surface early, and deep as the day goes on..just let it sink before you reel in. If they aren't biting, you're doing something wrong. Try nightcrawlers inflated with spray if all else is failing you.

Grant is the sleeper lake, but tough access for the kids. But if they are troopers, you can hike down from the road .. fish on of the peninsulas and you'll get some... Gold Thomas Bouyants, or any color PB will get them.. fish afternoon or early, no trees at this lake at all

Silver is probably the most family friendly lake..the north end of the lake youll see a parking lot and good shore line, the south end is shallow and requires a float tube or waders...

June Lake is awesome just about everywhere, but the north shore along the big boulders is the best. Access can be had with a truck/SUV through the Oh Ridge! Campground.

Overall the Thomas Bouyant and Fire Tiger Count Down Rapala will always get you hooked up in the June Lake loop lakes.. Yellow colored powerbaits work too... but try Orange and Pink if Yellow isn't getting them. Fish Deep and early and you'll get hooked up for sure. Check out my eastern sierra report from my trip for some tips and pictures of the lures I'm talking about.

Good luck!

achan618
06-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for this great information. After doing more searching on the June Lake Loop, it seems like a couple baits are working best. I'll be sure to load up on powerbait (chunky cheese or flourescent colors), attractants, and orange berkely power worms. Do people recommend getting a boat on June or Gull Lake, or is fishing from shore typically okay? Additionally, have people caught crawdads before on these two lakes. I figure we might go after these in the afternoon when it gets hotter.

Badfish2
06-28-2008, 02:14 AM
I've had a few crawdads biting at my net at Gull while shore fishing. But outside of that, I don't know about june. Boats are good but not nessesary if you don't want to rent one. Gull gets crowded with boats and pontoons so trolling is almost impossible, june however.. I'd get a boat there if you want to troll.

SoCalGuy7
06-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Badfish2's gives good advice, I don't know why he thought you had kids...:Confused:

:ROFL::ROFL: