PDA

View Full Version : First 2 Legal Halibuts &Personal Best Leopard

Col. Hannibal Smith
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I have not posted a message in a while and since I've accumulated a number of fishing pictures I've decided to post them. Inspired by Wingnut's posts, I've decided to give surf fishing a try. I've never used lures very much, but after seeing the success rate they have on Halibut, I decided it was time to learn something new. I went and purchased a pair of waders and some Lucky Craft lures, and after talking with my friend Kevin, who lives up in the Bay, we decided to give Santa Barbara a shot. We ended up only catching 3 shorts (my friend's first Hali from the surf), but considering the beautiful wheather and beach, it was a blast never the less. After coming back to LA we met up with our friend who lives in Sunset Beach, and decided to do some night fishing on a private dock in Huntington Harbour. That night I ended up catching my biggest Leopard so far. He was 52 inches long and 21 pounds 7 ounces (we released him). After realizing that lures do work really well for Halibut, I started going down to Bolsa Chica every weekend, and I ended up catching my first 2 legal Halis (a 22 and 23 inch both released). I have now become obsessed with lures and in particular the Japanese ones. This weekend my friend from the Bay is coming back down and we are going to give Santa Barbara another shot. Wingnut, if you and your friends are heading back up there give me a shout and maybe we can meet up with you.

Wingnut
06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Excellent job out there Colonel. :Thumbs Up:
Beautiful Leo and congrats on the legal Butts... good karma will find you on the release. ;)
See ya out there sometimes. :cool:

samgann93
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
nice leo.

i havent caught one yet.

doyoufishmuch
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Nice job, some great lookin fish.

exfactor
06-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Still hard to find a beach that is clean enough to fish. Low tide slack is only opportunity with all the kelp.

Cali_Fishin_fool
06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
That one butt looks like you cheated with the tape measure starting at 1 inch lol

Just teasing, all nice fish!!!

bassman858
06-26-2008, 03:58 PM
what model of LC lure are those? SW Pointer 78 Sardine? if you don't mind telling me. i will be trying those lure out in San Diego Bay. thanks

Col. Hannibal Smith
06-26-2008, 04:09 PM
That one butt looks like you cheated with the tape measure starting at 1 inch lol

Just teasing, all nice fish!!!

No problem. I was sitting on top of rocks so it was hard to straighten him and the tape out. I need to get a tailor's tape.

Howling Mad Murdock
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
what model of LC lure are those? SW Pointer 78 Sardine? if you don't mind telling me. i will be trying those lure out in San Diego Bay. thanks

We use 120 pointers. Although the 110s are super nice, the 120s work just as well. We are currently trying to get our grubby little mits on some ITOs.

Kevin

Col. Hannibal Smith
06-26-2008, 08:22 PM

They are Lucky Craft Slender Pointer 112MR. They are freshwater lures but work just as well in saltwater. I have had success with the following patterns: Aurora Black (the blue one in the picture), Aurora Brown, MJ Herring, and MS American Shad. If you have problems finding them you might want to check this website out (it is a shop in San Francisco):

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/

I also use the Flash Minnow 110 SW Metalic Sardine. They work really well for halibut, but are very hard to find due to the fact that they have been discontinued for the US.

Good Luck

CrabMan
06-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Nice Job Col. Hannibal!

If I know you, you always have a plan. And you're particular happy when a plan comes together!

It's crazy how many nice butts have been caught on the Lucky Craft. Thanks for the pics...

Howling Mad Murdock
06-27-2008, 08:39 AM
http://www.histackleboxshop.com/

I also use the Flash Minnow 110 SW Metalic Sardine. They work really well for halibut, but are very hard to find due to the fact that they have been discontinued for the US.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Or you can look for the 2 or 3 Col Smith lost >:)

B. A. Baracus
06-28-2008, 07:01 AM
As ususal Murdock is wrong again...crazy man.

Howling Mad Murdock
06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
LOL I pity the fool who finally gets waders and actually fishes with the A Team!

JK :P

fishmounter
06-29-2008, 12:12 PM
A cheaper way to go is with a blue or black 5" Rapala Countdown Minnow. Works for me.

B. A. Baracus
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
You know B. A. don't like to swim. Especially when Hannibal is using him for a life preserver!

one_leg
06-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Nice job!!!!

steve092
06-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Congrats on the PB Man!