PDA

View Full Version : Casting the Iron?

Ifishtoolittle
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Anyone here a master at casting the "Iron"? If so can anyone give me any tips.
The only thing I know about casting the Iron is that you need a pretty long rod about 9ft, good reel, fairly heavy line, a casting technique which I don't really have down yet.

if anyone can give me any tips I'd appreciate it! thanks!

bsp
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Which type of iron? Surface, yo yo, knife or butterfly style, or rock cod?
If you are talking about surface iron then you need a 9 or 10 foot rod and a reel with a high speed retrieve like 6.3:1 and 30 or 40 lb test mono. Then you just cast out and reel fast enough so you see your jig "kick." You do not want the jig to glide, you want it to visibly swing back and forth. Polarized sun glasses help you see this. It is different for each jig so you need to experiment individually. You can use the same reel for yo yo iron, but just switch to a seven foot heavy rod. Then drop your jig to the bottom and crank it in fast. Try different speeds until you get hit.

cappo
06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
And always look behind you before casting

Billy Bass
06-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Another tip is to take the outfit you've decided to use, attatch an old bolt that weighs about the same as the jigs you're planning to use, then go to an open field, or school yard and pratice practice practice. The nei8ghbors will think you are nuts, but this really pays off in the long run. Good luck!

vanillagurilla
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
i used a 9 foot cal-star, newell graphite reel. 20lb tst. 1 big thing is your casting motion must be smooth. the smoother your casting motion the less problems your gona have on the reel end. also i like to have the iorn down about 4 feet or so from the tip of the rod. you get a nice slingshot action that way. casting a surface iorn 100yds is vary posible.

ToadsToadsOnly
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
i used a 9 foot cal-star, newell graphite reel. 20lb tst. 1 big thing is your casting motion must be smooth. the smoother your casting motion the less problems your gona have on the reel end. also i like to have the iorn down about 4 feet or so from the tip of the rod. you get a nice slingshot action that way. casting a surface iorn 100yds is vary posible.

Ditto on the Calstar and newell. 9ft calstar and a newell P 332 or 338 your good to go never take your eye off your iron when casting on the party boats. This way it wont end up in your fellow anglers ear sholder back.

KID CREOLE
06-26-2008, 03:23 PM
9 ft Calstar Shimano 10/20 Stardrag and 20 to 30 lb line. make sure the line stays tight on the reel and wet!

Ifishtoolittle
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks you guys.