PDA

View Full Version : Pismo questions.

City Dad
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I'll be spending next week at Pismo beach with the family.

Anyone ever fish the surf or peir there?

If so, how was it? What species?

appreciate any help!

r!der
06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
If you're not going there to play with something motorized..... in e.g. dirt bike, atv, sand rail, etc. I would go somewhere else. Trust me on that!

fish_sauce
06-25-2008, 01:55 PM
i was just going to post the same thing!

i'm headed up there for a 4 day camping trip beginning August 1st...someone i know booked and paid for a spot and decided not to go, so we get to use the camp area for free!! I know most of the area is for dirt bikes and atvs but its hard to turn down a free camping trip by the beach :)

from the little reasearch that i've done, i heard you can go clamming for some pismo clams at minus low tide provided you have a legal clam guage that measures 4 1/2 inches...thats the legal size. I'm trying to find out if there are other types of clam species available also...and if so, if there are certain regulations on them....maybe someone on the board could clue me in?

I've gotten mixed replies from some other sites...but supposedly there are a few different species of perch you could go after, and the occasional halibut...and i've also heard that fishing is supposed to be better off of the piers as oppose to the surfzone...have no idea if theres any truth to this...

Maybe you could fill me in with the details once you come back, CityDad ;)

Ambassadorhawg
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Pismo beach area has very shallow water that stays shallow a long way out. I wouldn't waste any time trying to surf fish or fish from the pier. You can almost stand above water at the end of that pier!

However, you do have Lopez lake just a handful of miles inland from there.

And... if you have the time to fish on a sportboat, go to Patriot Sportfishing (805) 595-7200
in Port San Luis and jump on a half day or full day boat. Virg's Fish'n (800 ROCKCOD) up in Morro bay offers great fishing, too. Lots of Reds & Lings up there. And you generally fish in fairly shallow water sometimes even in the kelp!

But if you are stuck on sea shore fishing, go up to Avila Bay and fish from Avila Pier. I've caught big rockfish, sharks, skates and rays, mackerel, perch, Salmon and Halibut from that pier. It's a super Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong pier, too. You'll be half way to Hawaii when you finally reach the end of it!

Good luck,
A-hawg

Ambassadorhawg
06-26-2008, 04:05 PM
It turns out that I will be up there for this coming weekend! I have already made a reservation at Patriot Sportfishing for Sunday on the Pacific Horizon. This is a "long range" trip that fishes South in the Purisma-Vandenberg area, an area that doesn't get much pressure. Historically, an awesome fishing area. Shallow water sportfishing at some it's finest!

I will also be Bat Ray fishing probably on Saturday evening in the high-slack tide (6:45PM)out at Morro Bay back at the public boat ramp dock. Bats there are usually 30-60 pounds.

If anyone wants to meet up, PM me ASAP! I am on the road tomorrow (Friday) at 3PM.

Thanks,
A-hawg (mike)

fish_sauce
06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks for taking the time to share some generous info, mike!

we'll be awaiting your report when you get back! ;)

good luck, have fun, and tight lines!

pipelayer5150
06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
i agree i grew up fishing that pier since my grandma lives a block from there have only seen a hand full of fish other then smelt which are plentifull and very large 1-2 lbs and bsp. there is decent thressher fishing in the summer there but its a long shot definately better off at avila or lopez lake. if you have a chance try fishing the surf down by the dunes with fish crack ,sand worms or sandcrabs if you can find em.