PDA

View Full Version : San Pedro fishing.....been a while (sorry no pics)

skunked714
06-25-2008, 06:34 AM
First off, hellos to everyone thats still around and knows me. Promise to be back and often from now on.

Well me and dad decided to do some fishing this last Sunday to beat the heat so we headed out to San Pedro to launch the boat.

It was about 9am and foggier than...I dont even know what, just foggy. Made it real tough to get out very far.

We hung around the breakwater wall for a couple hours. Action was light, landed a shorty hali and a couple of sandsharks. We pulled up and moved once the fog started rolling out.

Found a spot next to some kelp beds and decided to try there for a while. There was a few other boats including the Icon and Enterprise. Action was pretty quick right off the bad.

Dad landed another shorty hali and a couple macks. Trying to get my mom on a fish i hooked into a nice bat ray, wasnt big but fought hard. Wrapped around the prop so we pulled it in by hand after it was exhausted and cut the line as close to his mouth as possible.

A few minutes later it was my turn, this time I could feel the bite being sucked in....then head shakes...i knew I had a halibut. Was a nice fight and once it got to the surface I knew it was going to be very very close to legal. Without too much pain we got it in the boat and measured, 22.5- legal! I snapped a few shots with the cell phone...but for some reason the pics didnt save. Promise ill find my fishing camera and have it handy next time.

We ended up leaving shortly after, following a few more mack attacks, some shot bass and a weird looking fish...not sure if it was a corbina or corvina or west covin...or what ever. Back look like a bass, body looked like a cod. We tossed it back and decided to head home.

The final count was a handful of shorty halis...one legal for ME!
A handful of short bass.
Bunch of rays and a few small sandsharks..

And the pesky mack were on the prowl as well.

All caught on achovies and a bait hook with about 3/4 of split shots as a sinker.

Its been a while....but ill have more reports up this summer season, they biting again!!

Good luck to all!

S714

PS- cooked up the hali and it was very very good. Looking forward to a great season!

Fisherman57
06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Great to see u back on the board dude! Whats new?
Congrats on the legal!...... hope to see you at the next event!

Dana
Fisherman57

tacklejunkie
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Good work out there man. Love that thump thump thump feeling of a legal on the line!