PDA

View Full Version : Grant Boys is a Joke!

SanDimasLMB
06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Called Grant Boys in Newport today to ask them if they carry Shimano Calcutta rods to which the lady says yes and connects me to fishing. First, the guy just says "hello?", you would assume they would be more polite and say something like "fishing department, how can I help you?" So the guy says hello and I ask him, "can you check if you have this specific model Calcutta rod in?" to which he replies without any emotion, "no". I then say, "excuse me?" He then replies with no emotion again, "we don't carry Calcutta rods."

Now time goes by and he really tries my patience, so I just hung up without saying anything.

one_leg
06-24-2008, 08:33 PM
at least he was honest.

He didn't tell you yes to get you I'm the door.

You'll live.

SanDimasLMB
06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
at least he was honest.

He didn't tell you yes to get you I'm the door.

You'll live.

Its not that he just said no to me, its just that the communication experience wasn't too great.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Its not that he just said no to me, its just that the communication experience wasn't too great.

i agree with you if he said no to me just for asking something like that..I would say "you know what bro f you and im the customer and your suppose to please me have fun on getting no buisness click!" should of got some vulgar words in on him before you hung up haha!

troutdog
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
I went there once...that will be the last time, unless of course all the other sporting good stores in So Cal burn down. ;) Horrible fishing selection, decent for camping but the prices were not all that great. That kind of experience has me dailing one last time and asking for a manager to let him/her know what an idiot they have working in the fishing department.

TD

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I went there once...that will be the last time, unless of course all the other sporting good stores in So Cal burn down. ;) Horrible fishing selection, decent for camping but the prices were not all that great. That kind of experience has me dailing one last time and asking for a manager to let him/her know what an idiot they have working in the fishing department.

TD

right on. for sure

Bassripper2000
06-24-2008, 10:52 PM
That place blows..... go down the street to Angler's Center..... waaay better selection.... lots of saltwater stuff.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
i have more than enough tackle stores by me and they are all nice because they are close friends i do not ever get attitude :D

TShaffer
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
i agree with you if he said no to me just for asking something like that..I would say "you know what bro f you and im the customer and your suppose to please me have fun on getting no buisness click!" should of got some vulgar words in on him before you hung up haha!

AMEN!!
I'm glad i have places like Charkbait and BigFishTackle near me-never had any problems there

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
AMEN!!
I'm glad i have places like Charkbait and BigFishTackle near me-never had any problems there

yeah AMEN! to great tackle shops with great owners and workers!!

SanDimasLMB
06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
AMEN!!

Yup, Charkbait is one of my frequent stops. Just too bad they don't carry Shimano products. Great customer service, no doubt. That alone deserves my business.

SanDimasLMB
06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
That place blows..... go down the street to Angler's Center..... waaay better selection.... lots of saltwater stuff.

I've heard good things about them too, unfortunately when I called them, they didn't have the model I was looking for. I'll be sure to go over and look at their store also.

SanDimasLMB
06-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Was thinking about it, but my mom was down the hall. :LOL: So I had to resist.

JD1174
06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I 've been in that place and never had any problem with customer service. Your post, just go back and read it to yourself, showed that you are the one with the problem.

Stop being such a Sandimas LMB ( large mouth b*tch ) and your silly whinning. I am saying all this for your own good and I mean it in the nicest way possible.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I 've been in that place and never had any problem with customer service. Your post, just go back and read it to yourself, showed that you are the one with the problem.

Stop being such a Sandimas LMB ( large mouth b*tch ) and your silly whinning. I am saying all this for your own good and I mean it in the nicest way possible.

whoa!!! wait a min other your joking around or your just a prick..haha because if i were him and you said that to me that'd be a personally bad idea on your part..i dont see what he did wrong "ASK A QUESTION?" and the ahole said no id personally go in there and talk to him face to face..

legacy1
06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
In my experience:

Grant Boys seems to be run by a lot of nice older retired fellows while the cash register and the phone is covered by young people(late teens to early 20's). No one seems to be in a big hurry to sell you anything, but it is convienient in a pinch.

I highly recommend Glenn's Tackle on Baker St. Costa Mesa. It's a small mom n' pop tackle store and thay have GREAT cheap prices, like Big 5. Decent customer service...Angler Center is more expensive but they have everything.

My 2 cents...

SanDimasLMB
06-26-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm pretty sure you would have reacted the same way if you were about to buy a $200 fishing rod and someone just denies you without any explanation. He just said a straight foward, no. I would have expected a different response, maybe like, "Sorry, we don't carry those rods, can I give you other recommendations?" something along those lines, not just "no" in thrown at my face. :Rolls Eyes:

I'd personally like to see someone else try to take that kind of attitude. As a customer, you're supposed to be treated well, not just like a piece of meat. I'd also love to see you work at a fishing store and hold that kind of attitude and see if you get any customers.

SanDimasLMB
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Forgot to add, I got a Calcutta CLCX76MH at Mako Matt's Marine/Tackle on Edinger and Edwards here in H.B. All I have to say is great service, awesome staff, nice clean store, and they'll be getting more of my business in the future.

Check them out for sure if you're in the area of live near by. :Thumbs Up:

one_leg
06-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Called Grant Boys in Newport today to ask them if they carry Shimano Calcutta rods to which the lady says yes and connects me to fishing. First, the guy just says "hello?", you would assume they would be more polite and say something like "fishing department, how can I help you?" So the guy says hello and I ask him, "can you check if you have this specific model Calcutta rod in?" to which he replies without any emotion, "no". I then say, "excuse me?" He then replies with no emotion again, "we don't carry Calcutta rods."

Now time goes by and he really tries my patience, so I just hung up without saying anything.

The gal that answered the phone obviously hadn't a clue what fishing gear they did, or did not carry, hence her transfering you to the fishing department. Then the gentleman who has the call handed off to him answers with, "Hello".

I see no problem with any of this so far.

Then when you ask him if he can check on the availability of a specific make and model of rod he answers you with, "No". But before he can finish his sentence you rudely interupt him with a terse, "EXCUSE ME?". When he hears you pause, he finishes what he was going to say, "we don't carry any Calcutta rods."

SanDi, you are still a teenager, right?

Now I ask all of you out there, have any of you ever had a teenager ask something of you? Did they talk in a slow and deliberate manner? Did they exhibit any signs of frustration at the pace at which your creaky old selves responded to their inquiry? Did they become infuriated at you for looking them in the eye, as if to say, "Excuse me?" while you were attempting to come up with a suitable punishment for their impertinance?

Of course you have!!!

SDLMB, is it possible that you were in a rush and didn't give the elderly gentleman enough time to give you the answer you sought? Perhaps he has an undiagnosed case of Alzhiemers disease and was trying to not make a mistake while he was mulling over what to say to you?

Not hating, just wondering?

O_L

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
The gal that answered the phone obviously hadn't a clue what fishing gear they did, or did not carry, hence her transfering you to the fishing department. Then the gentleman who has the call handed off to him answers with, "Hello".

Then when you ask him if he can check on the availability of a specific make and model of rod he answers you with, "No". But before he can finish his sentence you rudely interupt him with a terse, "EXCUSE ME?". When he hears you pause, he finishes what he was going to say, "we don't carry any Calcutta rods."

Now I ask all of you out there, have any of you ever had a teenager ask something of you? Did they talk in a slow and deliberate manner? Did they exhibit any signs of frustration at the pace at which your creaky old selves responded to their inquiry? Did they become infuriated at you for looking them in the eye, as if to say, "Excuse me?" while you were attempting to come up with a suitable punishment for their impertinance?

Of course you have!!!

SDLMB, is it possible that you were in a rush and didn't give the elderly gentleman enough time to give you the answer you sought? Perhaps he has an undiagnosed case of Alzhiemers disease and was trying to not make a mistake while he was mulling over what to say to you?

Not hating, just wondering?

O_L

Eh.................

one_leg
06-26-2008, 08:52 PM

SanDimasLMB, if you were to make a guess at how much time you waited before you hung up on the salesman without even saying so much as, "Goodbye", how long would you say you waited?

I think he didn't have anything more to add and was waiting for you to say, "Thanks anyways!".

If I am wrong about all this I apologize.

I haven't been into that Grant Boys in about a year, and that was just for frozen squid.

Glad you got the rig you wanted, post up some reports featuring it real soon!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-26-2008, 08:58 PM
SanDimasLMB, if you were to make a guess at how much time you waited before you hung up on the salesman without even saying so much as, "Goodbye", how long would you say you waited?

I think he didn't have anything more to add and was waiting for you to say, "Thanks anyways!".

If I am wrong about all this I apologize.

I haven't been into that Grant Boys in about a year, and that was just for frozen squid.

Glad you got the rig you wanted, post up some reports featuring it real soon!

Nice One leg i like this one better!! haha i thought on the one before this one you were a tad harsh on the lil guy..because he might of not had put all of what he said in his thread so you got to think about that too.

one_leg
06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I think that there might have been a misunderstanding on both of their parts.

And perhaps on my part also. I am not trying to judge, just learn.

SanDimasLMB
06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
The gal that answered the phone obviously hadn't a clue what fishing gear they did, or did not carry, hence her transfering you to the fishing department.

Incorrect. I asked the lady who answered first, "I'm looking for some Shimano Calcutta Inshore rods, do you carry any?" She replied with a friendly, "yes, let me transfer you to our fishing department." End of story with the lady, she did nothing wrong and does not need to be talked about anymore. She did her job, thats all that matters.

Then the gentleman who has the call handed off to him answers with, "Hello".

Incorrect. I absolutely in no way did interfere with the gentleman from trying to finishing his sentence. He replied with a straight "no". I was a little shocked by his emotionless answer, which is why I felt obligated to say, "excuse me?" I said this in a questioning way, not in the sassy way. Me being the possible paying customer, like already mentioned, should have been treated better. He could have been more polite. Maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. However, that shouldn't have stopped him from properly serving a customer. If he was having troubles, he should have called in sick. What he did was make himself look bad but most importantly, Grant Boys bad.

Correct. However, I'm not your typical neighborhood teenager. Ask anyone who has had some business with me on the classifieds and they will likely say that I handled the deal in a adult-like manner, and that they had a good experience.

Trust me, I've had enough phone conversation to tell whether or not a person is old or young. The gentleman who picked up the phone after I was transfered was not a older gentleman, I can bet my life on that. His voice was not the typical weathered-down, deep voice. This man's voice was a still little too high. I'm also sure that the gentleman did not have Alzheimer's disease. If he did, he would have lost track of what we were talking about according to my phone's call log which says the call lasted 15 minutes.

Alan, I've never met you in person before. I really don't want to start off meeting you as the teenager who thinks he's all that. If you still hold some sort of grudge/thoughts against me, thats perfectly fine, I don't have any problem with that. You have the freedom of speech just as much as I do. You could express all your thoughts about me on this board and I wouldn't care.

one_leg
06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Correct. However, I'm not your typical neighborhood teenager. Ask anyone who has had some business with me on the classifieds and they will likely say that I handled the deal in a adult-like manner, and that they had a good experience.

You could express all your thoughts about me on this board and I wouldn't care.

Well, so long as nobody enters into any contracts with you they should be all right. You are not old enough to enter into legally binding contracts with adults.

I don't have any grudges against you. You catch fish, you post reports, all is cool, Brah.

Life goes on!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Incorrect. I asked the lady who answered first, "I'm looking for some Shimano Calcutta Inshore rods, do you carry any?" She replied with a friendly, "yes, let me transfer you to our fishing department." End of story with the lady, she did nothing wrong and does not need to be talked about anymore. She did her job, thats all that matters.

Incorrect. I absolutely in no way did interfere with the gentleman from trying to finishing his sentence. He replied with a straight "no". I was a little shocked by his emotionless answer, which is why I felt obligated to say, "excuse me?" I said this in a questioning way, not in the sassy way. Me being the possible paying customer, like already mentioned, should have been treated better. He could have been more polite. Maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. However, that shouldn't have stopped him from properly serving a customer. If he was having troubles, he should have called in sick. What he did was make himself look bad but most importantly, Grant Boys bad.

Trust me, I've had enough phone conversation to tell whether or not a person is old or young. The gentleman who picked up the phone after I was transfered was not a older gentleman, I can bet my life on that. His voice was not the typical weathered-down, deep voice. This man's voice was a still little too high. I'm also sure that the gentleman did not have Alzheimer's disease. If he did, he would have lost track of what we were talking about according to my phone's call log which says the call lasted 15 minutes.

Alan, I've never met you in person before. I really don't want to start off meeting you as the teenager who thinks he's all that. If you still hold some sort of grudge/thoughts against me, thats perfectly fine, I don't have any problem with that. You have the freedom of speech just as much as I do. You could express all your thoughts about me on this board and I wouldn't care.

your a 40 year old man in a 16year olds body! right one man im with you..very well said.

Granny Fish
06-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Having been in customer service for over 15 years... I'd have calmly asked for the employee's name, thanked him by name and asked if he could please transfer you to the manager. Not so much to get the guy in trouble, but the manager deserves to know if a training opportunity exists in his store and you would have felt a lot better for it.