PDA

View Full Version : Mack Attack at seal beach pier today

TShaffer
06-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I decided to hit seal beach pier today in hopes of maybe some halibut on live bait. Right away i dropped the sabiki in the water and found a school of smelt. I put one out for live bait and let it sit while i continued to catch smelt. Suddenly i got a huge tug on my sabiki. I thought i had caught three or four smelt at a time. But then i saw a mackeral break the surface. So i quickly got my sabiki back down there and bam another mackeral. This went on for about 20 minutes and then the bite suddenly died. No more smelt, no more mackeral, and nothing on the live bait. I ended up with over 10 mackeral and a LOT of smelt. I saw some people catching croaker and perch with ghost shrimp though.

brianw
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the head up =)
gonna bring my gf to fish there i guess...

still trying to get her into fishing haha

TShaffer
06-24-2008, 11:42 PM
right on man
just chum a few strips of squid and wait for the school to show up

brianw
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
yea.. gonna do it for her..

last time i saw a guy casting iron at the end of the pier, behind ruby's..

he was catching some realli nice size mack and bonitos once in a while..

next time i think im gonna do the same

tacklejunkie
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Good work man. Never caught a mack yet.

one_leg
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM

It's real hard to catch em Casey. You'll need someone to show you how!

Let's go get em!!! Plus, I got a lake we can stop off at on the way, nice lil pond. ;)

TShaffer
06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
yea.. gonna do it for her..

last time i saw a guy casting iron at the end of the pier, behind ruby's..

he was catching some realli nice size mack and bonitos once in a while..

next time i think im gonna do the same

yea i tossed my kroc for awhile but i didnt get anything on it but i wasnt at the end

fish_sauce
06-25-2008, 02:25 PM

show me how to catch freshwater bass and i'll show you how to catch a mackerel TJ ;):LOL:

was out on a charter boat last weekend and the damn things were biting my nine inch long metal jigs...in mackerel pattern!!! it actually got quite annoying...but they make greattt shark and bat ray bait!

TShaffer, you should try cutting the mackerel up next time and go after some sharks...:Twisted: