PDA

View Full Version : My reflections of, An awesome and humbling expierence

tracker13
06-24-2008, 01:46 PM
This past weekend i was envited on a trip to Bridgeport, Ca. to participate in a fishing tournament that raises money for the fish enhancement program
that is responsible for the outstanding preservation of this historic fishery. Our plan called for us to meet our host and guide for the weekend Rey 'mundo'
Robles at the legendary Ken's sporting goods in Bridgeport. Upon entering, it was instantly clear why this place had been in buisness for so many years. People were being given undivided individual attention, that you just don't see anymore. It's like they were talking to a long time fishing buddy, who they had known for years. From there it was of to have some lunch. We were joined by Rey's wife, and John who is also a guide and prostaff member of Mundo's
Buisness, "STAY BENT" PROFESSIONAL FISHING AND HUNTING GUIDE SERVICES. These guy's and girl's are what professionals are made of, from their
knowledge of equipment and bait or bugs, to what's going on on the specific body of water to be fished from the surface to the bottom, THEY KNOW THEIR STUFF! Finally time to hit the water! get to the spot on Bridgeport Res. bout 2ish. Mundo tells us we will be fishing with fly RODS, and that's something i'd never done, he says no worries i'll have you learned in a few minutes, and so he did, I ended up catching my first fish ever on a fly ROD pretty quickly and ended the evening with 3 hook ups and 2 netted rainbows. Back to Rey's place where he BBQ'd us a great supper, had some cocktails, a bon fire, and got to meet some more cool people. Willmo who is also on the STAY BENT staff, and is he ever a cool cat! (his dog on the other hand, i'm not to fond of)
showed up for cocktails and some story telling (Will, I'll listen anytime Bro) man this guy is so knowledgable about hunting and fishing you'd think he was 70!
His kids were there also and they are some very helpful and delightful little people. Next day, up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the tourney. On the water by 6:30 and catching fish maybe 15 min. later. The plan was to get the kids on fish first off, and did we ever! there were 11 boats around us (gee I wonder why with that big STAY BENT logo on the side of the boat?) these kids ended up limitng out in 2 hours flat! A friend of Mundo's son was aboard and
landed what ended up being big fish of the tourney for the youth div. a beautiful rainbow at just under 4 pounds. WAY TO GO LITTLE MAN! Got the kids back to shore so they could go weigh in and rest up for the awards dinner, and the guys hit the lake again with slaying on our minds. Slay is what we did, rainbow after rainbow were caught and released with only a few bleeders being brought home as table fare. Next came the awards dinner, we enjoyed a great meal
and a few beverages before the fun began. They raffled off so many great prizes as well as fantastic random prizes just for entering in the tourney. I was lucky (which is very rare) enough to win a fancy ROD holder for my 1969 Chrysler boat I'm working on getting in the water. All the kids who entered
recieved a ROD and reel combo, certificate and a medal for their participation. The looks on their faces was worth the price of addmission. So much
hard work and effort went in to making this tourney a success, let alone the countless donations from buisnesses and sponsors from all over. These people
deserve a HUGE THANK YOU for all they do for this great cause. Back to Mundo's place for another night cap and review of the days events in front of a nice fire outside. Next morning, as if we had'nt been spoiled enough already, Rey, Will and Faye ann, (sorry for the spelling) who is yet another talented and expierenced fly fisherperson on the STAY BENT staff, informed us they were taking us fishing on the East Walker River. This was incredible, and also when these guys kicked it in to another gear, just by the looks on their faces, you could feel their passion for this beautiful stretch of river. I did have one selfish goal on this trip, and that was to catch a German Brown Trout, which i was able to accomplish with the help and advice I recieved from this magnificient team of pro's. Unfortunately all good things have to come to end, which wasn't all that bad seeing as how i was really starting to miss my wife and little boy. Got ready to load up and head for home and for some strange reason, (probably the part of me that didn't wanna leave) I had locked the key's in the car. I bet you can guess what happened next, you got it! the STAY BENT team came through again.

Now comes the hardest part of all, probably because it's next to impossible to do, and that is THANKING them for all they did for me, a complete stranger.
If they are willing to do this me, I can't begin imagine the service they provide to all their paying clients.

John, Willmo, and FishGirl, Thank you so much for the help, knowledge, and overall great time, you all are definitely a class act. I hope i get the chance to see you again! If not I will always remember.

Mundo, you are by far one of the most unselfish people i've ever met. I can't forsee ever being able to repay your generosity, but i know in my heart it will be returned twice over. Thank you to and your wife and wonderful kids for the hospitality while at your home. May God Bless you and your Family.............

Travis

troutdog
06-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a great experience, thanks for sharing Travis! What was up with the dog that you were not so fond of? Congrats on your first brownie.

TD

buck liggett
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
The dog mistook His leg for a fire hydrent, good thing He was wearing
shorts & flip flops :Shocked:

tracker13
06-26-2008, 06:51 AM
:Death2Above::Death2Above::Death2Above:Death2Above ::Death2Above: