PDA

View Full Version : Foat tube vs Pontoon

fish assasin 1
06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Which is better and why? I been looking to buy a float tube but recently started really looking at the pontoons, and now I am confused on which one to get. Any info would help. Thanx

tapeworm
06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16443&highlight=float+tube+pontoon

Ronira
06-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Go with a toon in my opinion. Lot more versatile and lots faster and carrys a lot more gear.

Socal Bassman
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Aww, man here we go again :LOL:. Well here's my :My Two Cents:: Tubes are lighter; easier to set up and breakdown; cheaper; and easy to store and transport. The cons are you just can't zip from one spot to another and you're limited in what you can take along.

Like Ron said, pontoons are very versatile, you can load a lot of gear on them, there is virtually no limit to the amount of modifications (just look at Tunakiller's sweet toon), you can cover a lot of water either with oars, fins, or a trolling motor; and you sit higher (if not out of) the water. The cons: they cost more; takes a little more time to set up; they're heavier; because of their larger profile, they catch more wind, which can make it difficult to fish and steer at the same time.

Either way you go with, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Even though I haven't fished out of a toon, I'm sure it's just as fun to fish out of as a float tube. For me, I prefer a tube. It may not cover as much water as a toon, but I sure can dissect an area easier.

bassguy
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I will also have to agree with both Ronira and Socal, which I have had the pleasure of fishing with both. Both have their pro and cons. First off, depending on how you like to fish, drop shotting, split shotting, or carolina rig, are much easier in a tube. I find it easy to control your drift and tempo, which is how I have caught the majority of my fish. Also, now is my favorite time to fish, I can wear shorts, water temp is above 70*, very comfortable. I fished last weekend in 109*, sitting in the water kept me comfortable, didn't realize how warm it was until I was out of the water. On a toon, you have to anchor, then raise the anchor every time you want to move 25 ft.

As for the benefits of a toon, like both stated, you can cover more water. You can carry more gear, but the biggest benefit is, you can stand up and see structure, big benefit if you sight fish. Also, if you want to throw top water, or swimbaits, much easier to work different techniques on a toon.

Both are a great way to fish, I enjoy fishing from a tube. I wouldn't say you would catch more fish from one or the other. Be sure to know you surroundings, wind is your worst enemy for both. Good luck on your decision.

steve092
06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Yup, they all got it right so far. Pros and cons.

I have never owned or for that matter, used a float tube. I do own a pontoon though. The best thing about the pontoon is you can put anything on it. You customize it to your own likes. I have even seen pontoons with a boombox strapped onto it! But the thing I DO NOT like is customizing it! You see one thing you like, and you just can't stop buying new things for it!

But seriously, the one thing I do not like is that during windy conditions, it is hard to keep it still (even with a heavy anchor). And it is a little tough maneuvering during windy conditions.

Ronira
06-25-2008, 07:21 AM
One thing that I think is getting missed here is the ability to use a toon as a kickboat. In that configuration a toon can be fished the same as a tube while carrying more gear. You can still put your feet up and row to cover more water or drop your feet down and use your fins. That's the versatility I'm talking about. You can go from kickboat to standup motorized action any time you want. I think a pontoon kickboat would have less drag than a tube also but I've never tried a tube to be honest.

steve092
06-25-2008, 07:51 AM
And the great thing about using it as a kickboat is that you can cool off on a hot day!

Ghost
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Pontoon boat all the way! Much easier to get around in the water, your legs do not cramp up & you are much higher up from the water.

I've tride a float tube & was happy till I kept getting leg cramps & I just couldn't cover as much water as I wanted to. The upside to a float tube is it's easy to put inside a car.

I put my pontoon boat on top of my Jeep when I'm heading to the lake or river. I don't go on freeways, so no problems traveling on surface streets & the pontoon stays on top.

This pic doesn't show it, but I've added a trolling motor. I bought a Minn Kota 36 w/ a group 24 deep cycle battery from Walmart. I really hate fighting the winds & rowing against the wind, so the trolling motor is the next step to fun fishing. Now I can travel farther & I know I'll make it back to the landing area.

It takes a little bit of time to setup a pontoon boat if you have a car, but if you are fishing all day or for a few hours, it really doesn't matter.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/537/c2.jpg

steve092
06-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Nice setup bro!

fish assasin 1
06-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I like that setup also...man now I'm even more confused,lol. I guess I'll think about it a lil more, but you guys def helped me out with the pros and cons. Thanx!!! I appreciate it.

joe man
06-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I have never used a toon but Ghost has a rig I would not mind trying. I use a tube and in years when the water level is up into the trees at the lakes I would much rather use my tube than either a boat or a toon because I can work it through the growth to places that you would not be able to fish with a toon or boat. In the summer I stay cool because I am in the water. I do think I would like the added storage of a toon. In my tube the storage pockets get pretty wet so putting cell phones, cameras, or ipods in them is risky. I do like the fact that I have a very usable fishing set up for less than 100 dollars that I can pack into my wifes car, travel to the lake and be on the water in 10 minutes. I use a cheap Caddis Neveda tube but the fiscats have better storage capacities.

ElementX
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I've never tried a tube but I have a pontoon and I can't imagine anything you could do in a tube that you couldnt do better in a toon. I can turn on a dime and spin 360 in one spot on calm water just like a tube, except I can choose between

-feet
-oars
-electric trolling motor (spinning in circles can be addictive)

Keeping your feet in the water helps keep you cool. That big ice chest that can be stored onboard will also help out. I usually fish sitting in the padded seat with my flegs straight out in front of me resting on one of my pontoons. Its as comfortable as sitting on the couch at home with a fishing pole. I usually anchor, but if just want to drift, kicking my feet will keep me from moving off my spot in mild wind. I have no idea, but would guess the effort would be similar to a tube since they both have pros/cons that make them a victim of either wind or current, both of which will result in being moved off your spot.

I do wish my toon was as quick to set up as a tube though. It helps if i put it together at home and strap it to the top of my SUV. It does freeway speeds with no problem. I've been considering a rigid kickboat lately. It
d be a great compromise between a tube and a toon'